Find results in...
MontagesNmore

1st Custom Map - Last One Standing.wad

[size=6]Last One Standing.wad ( First Doom Map )[/size]

Features:

- Over 100s+ Monsters
- 7+ Secret Rooms
- Very challenging under any difficulty
- Gives you the old school Doom II play feel.
- Lots of teleportations and spawning
- Mini Parkour themes throughout level

Used:

- Doom Builder (Zdoom Format)
- Final Doom Plutonia Wad (for resources)
- ZDoom

about :

Began building last year with very little knowledge of Doom Builder ... lost interest ... regain interest and now I want to complete. I am about 90% done. I have to polish everything and add a couple more stuff to the final sectors.

About Map:

Your squad was retreating from an ambush while being under attack from monsters on an unknown planet. Your the last one standing and will have to face many obstacles to get your way out of hell's reach.

Pictures:

YouTube Videos:

Download Link: http://wp.me/p3HnUA-hs

Because there is an inconsistency in the default pistol definition. The muzzle flash frame PISFA0 is shown for 7 tics while overlaying the normal frame PISGB0, but this frame lasts only 6 tics. Then there is one tic with frame PISGC0 while PISFA0 is still displayed over it, which looks wrong. It's practically unnoticeable ingame, but it is there and has been since ever. The OP took his screenshot in this exact unfortunate tic when the pistol looks wrong.

1. The aesthetic is amateurish, often quite ugly, mainly due to monochromatic wallpaper-style texturing, texture misalignments, sometimes underdeveloped lighting and odd choices of colors/textures to fit each other.
2. Gameplay is spoiled by numerous high-HP monsters or swarms of low-HP ones that don't pose direct thread and are easily (and best) to be avoided rather than fought, because fighting would be a lot more tedious than rewarding. The worst offenders are obviously Barons of Hell. If you don't need to use them, just don't.
3. Another thing that spoils gameplay is that many areas are cramped and tend to be uncomfortable to move around. Also, the way how many of these areas are stuffed by so many monsters is kind of repulsive, somehow.
4. Basic room to room (or corridor to corridor) progression, too much linearity, too little openness.
5. The frequent random teleportation actually felt more cheap than cool.
6. I personally think that stealth monsters are terribly annoying, I would prefer if they weren't included.
7. At one point before getting the yellow key, there was a mandatory jumping part, which I didn't quite expect, you might have stated that jumping was mandatory beforehand.
8. I see no point in having 2 yellow doors after each other. The 2nd one doesn't really need to be locked, since the player (logically) had to have the key before he got there.
9. The elevator into the nukage pit near blue door can be activated from above, but if I step out before it lowers and therefore stay up while the elevator rode down, there seems to be no way to get it up again. Also, the blue key "jumps up" during the game, so that the player doesn't actually need to ride the lift down to get the key.
10. ZDoom's log gives warnings "Line 3010 has no first side" and "Line 3010's right edge is unconnected", you should check out the linedef and fix it.

Overally not much fun to play and not much nice to look at, to be honest. IMO, your level design would be improved by addressing the issues that I listed in my first 4 points (at least), perhaps in your future works.

I disagree with point 2 and 8 that scifista has made - The monsters were a bit erratic but it's nice not being forced to get 95% of kills just to exit, as many modern maps do, and cool little things like double doors/"illogical" floating lights/other weird but nifty stuff like that is welcome, in my book.

The rest are most definitely valid criticisms that you should take on board for your future mapping endeavors. This is honestly quite impressive for a 1st map (blows away my first few maps from 2001) even despite it's flaws I did get enjoyment from it.

If I had to pick one main thing you should focus on improving, it's complimentary use of textures! Keep improving and I hope to see more stuff from you in the future. :)

scifista42 said:

1. The aesthetic is amateurish, often quite ugly, mainly due to monochromatic wallpaper-style texturing, texture misalignments, sometimes underdeveloped lighting and odd choices of colors/textures to fit each other.
2. Gameplay is spoiled by numerous high-HP monsters or swarms of low-HP ones that don't pose direct thread and are easily (and best) to be avoided rather than fought, because fighting would be a lot more tedious than rewarding. The worst offenders are obviously Barons of Hell. If you don't need to use them, just don't.
3. Another thing that spoils gameplay is that many areas are cramped and tend to be uncomfortable to move around. Also, the way how many of these areas are stuffed by so many monsters is kind of repulsive, somehow.
4. Basic room to room (or corridor to corridor) progression, too much linearity, too little openness.
5. The frequent random teleportation actually felt more cheap than cool.
6. I personally think that stealth monsters are terribly annoying, I would prefer if they weren't included.
7. At one point before getting the yellow key, there was a mandatory jumping part, which I didn't quite expect, you might have stated that jumping was mandatory beforehand.
8. I see no point in having 2 yellow doors after each other. The 2nd one doesn't really need to be locked, since the player (logically) had to have the key before he got there.
9. The elevator into the nukage pit near blue door can be activated from above, but if I step out before it lowers and therefore stay up while the elevator rode down, there seems to be no way to get it up again. Also, the blue key "jumps up" during the game, so that the player doesn't actually need to ride the lift down to get the key.
10. ZDoom's log gives warnings "Line 3010 has no first side" and "Line 3010's right edge is unconnected", you should check out the linedef and fix it.

Overally not much fun to play and not much nice to look at, to be honest. IMO, your level design would be improved by addressing the issues that I listed in my first 4 points (at least), perhaps in your future works.

I forgot to address the yellow key and blue key issue. If you go into the nukage pit, you grab the acid suite and it teleports you to the upper ledge. I meant to place the blue key there instead. There should have been a switch to bring the elevator lift back up. Either way, thank you all for your feedback! I have some other projects I am working on. When I get more free time, I will def build more doom maps! Thanks