Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tritnew

Someone Should Make A Remake of The Level Shown In The Trailer

Marnetmar said:

I don't care if it's a total waste of time, there needs to be more Doom 3 levels. Keep working on it.

This! I want more doom 3 levels too!

If you like classic DOOM (stupid question :D ) watch this (I know it's a bit offtop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq6AY4stoE
Making nice looking maps at DOOM 3 take a lot of time (several hundreds of hours). I made this map 2-3 years ago, don't remember now and I'm courious to just put already done rooms in snap map. I know I couldn't make very dense structures, but now I haven't got to much time to make maps, so I hope it will be fun to fast put rooms, monsters, weapons and press button run :) Most time I always waste on details, every corridor I was making some about 2 weeks, and this was my first map (2 times I destroyed everything and starts from begining in half of job). Most problematich thing to recreate DOOM 4 trailer map is no postprocess, no volumetric light, and no double jump.

DoomMarine82 said:

If you like classic DOOM (stupid question :D ) watch this (I know it's a bit offtop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq6AY4stoE
Making nice looking maps at DOOM 3 take a lot of time (several hundreds of hours). I made this map 2-3 years ago, don't remember now and I'm courious to just put already done rooms in snap map. I know I couldn't make very dense structures, but now I haven't got to much time to make maps, so I hope it will be fun to fast put rooms, monsters, weapons and press button run :) Most time I always waste on details, every corridor I was making some about 2 weeks, and this was my first map (2 times I destroyed everything and starts from begining in half of job). Most problematich thing to recreate DOOM 4 trailer map is no postprocess, no volumetric light, and no double jump.

Nice map! But yea, I think the only way you can make It possible Is If we either use that mod for the classic DOOM called Dumb 4 (which Is really good by the way), or put stairs In place.

I know I'll be using Snapmap as my first chance to be a DOOM mapper, that's for sure.

I never really got into map making for D3. It was just so scary and complicated for my little brain to handle. Making Classic maps was easy and I hope SnapMap will help me get back into map making again.

In fact I hope SnapMap releases different tiers of editing utilities for us PC modders out there.

1. Basic SnapMap
2. General Map editor, with built in Doombuilder like sector creator. Edit things, and textures at the basic level.
3. Advanced Editor for professionals. This is what Id would use to make more content.

DoomMarine82 said:

Making nice looking maps at DOOM 3 take a lot of time (several hundreds of hours).

As far as "classic doom maps made in Doom 3" go, this is done pretty well. It's probably a symptom of the fairly direct map port but I'd say everything feels kind of... square and bare? There's a lot of detailing overhead but a lot of the walls are pretty flat.

Maybe I'm just kinda biased from playtesting Phobos. Those guys are creating some incredible looking maps.

DoomMarine82 said:

I was laugh when I saw this thread first time, cause at that time I was building map in DOOM 3 to recreate DOOM 4 demo :) So I decided today to post some screenies from this (former) project. Enjoy :)

http://imgur.com/a/UUs2Z

Looks awesome! If you finish it, make sure to post a download link. Even if i get Doom 2016, my PC won't run it :(...Thankfully, Doom 3 runs OK, and the idea of playing Doom 4 levels on Doom 3 is like a dream come true! Please don't quit!

DoomMarine82 said:

I was laugh when I saw this thread first time, cause at that time I was building map in DOOM 3 to recreate DOOM 4 demo :) So I decided today to post some screenies from this (former) project. Enjoy :)

Impressive, thumbs up for this.

DoomMarine82 said:

Wow this is sweet! Keep it up :)

Has anyone noticed that at 0:45 of the industrial level, there is a door with white light, meaning its open? What could be in there?... unfinished areas?

AwesomeO-789 said:

Haha, we were just playing around (I think?). I'm still waiting for the author to post it himself so I won't go and make a new thread, but I guess I'll let this thread die.

Pretty sure the author already made a thread for It on the ZDOOM forums, but If you want I guess you could ask him If you can make a thread based on the mod.

DoomMarine82: Yup, I agree what the others said. Those screenshots looks awesome! I encourage you to finish it, or release it unfinished if you don't feel like finishing it. :)

Voros said:

Has anyone noticed that at 0:45 of the industrial level, there is a door with white light, meaning its open? What could be in there?... unfinished areas?

Well since there's literally no way anyone could possibly know whats behind some random door in a level we've seen preicisely one video of, I'll speculate.

Unicorns. At least thirty unicorns, all armed with miniguns and flamethrowers.

While we all wish for amasing DoomMarine82 work to be done...I also have been having fun in Rage tool kit trying to test my sense of scale and kind of replicate Doom's e3 level and probably get a better understanding of what we should expect in terms of level design. Video was recorded in Rage tool kit's slowmap mode wich is not optimised, so frame rate is bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36AGIzC0OI&feature=youtu.be

id.dav said:

While we all wish for amasing DoomMarine82 work to be done...I also have been having fun in Rage tool kit trying to test my sense of scale and kind of replicate Doom's e3 level and probably get a better understanding of what we should expect in terms of level design. Video was recorded in Rage tool kit's slowmap mode wich is not optimised, so frame rate is bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36AGIzC0OI&feature=youtu.be

Awesome stuff. This definitely shows how open that Foundry map is. It's interesting how there's a bridge that takes the player immediately to the last part of the demo, which makes me wonder why you'd have to go through that whole process finding the key (err..severed arm) if you could just cross the bridge.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Awesome stuff. This definitely shows how open that Foundry map is. It's interesting how there's a bridge that takes the player immediately to the last part of the demo, which makes me wonder why you'd have to go through that whole process finding the key (err..severed arm) if you could just cross the bridge.

I'm pretty sure they just took this level and used for demo purposes, while actual level has different gameplay logic. We saw upper part of level...but I think when you get to lower catwalks system we'll be running and jumping around there while enemies pursue player....this could be very fun)) One wrong step and you are dead))

ChickenOrBeef said:

Reminds me a lot of the old maze-like level design, in which one room, or hallway could take you towards places you have already been.

Notice how you don´t necessarily have to go through those places, maybe those kinds of rooms (like the one with the Doom bible severed hand) have upgrades for your weapons, something valuable or even new guns.

Really cool work id.dav. I enjoyed your recreation so far immensely. I like how you even tried to puzzle together the lower floors. You jumping down to the lower middle central part just like in the trailer made me smile. You probably noticed that the part in the lower outer corner is shown in the trailer as well yes?

Its from https://youtu.be/NteAPGprDJk?t=47 to https://youtu.be/NteAPGprDJk?t=49 (yes two seconds in total). After that you get the jump down to the central part that you also mimic in your video.

BTW did my eyes deceive me or did you actually model your own components for that level? Or are the floor panels with the curved "grid" part of Rage's default assets? Great job if you did model them yourself! :)

I know you are doing this just for fun but if you have any updates please keep us posted. I find it absolutely fascinating what your doing. ^_^

redrage said:

BTW did my eyes deceive me or did you actually model your own components for that level? Or are the floor panels with the curved "grid" part of Rage's default assets? Great job if you did model them yourself! :)

Not sure what you mean here, but I think, Like Doom3Edit, the Rage tools have functions to curve/deform textures to fit oddly shaped architecture, curves especially.

@AirRaid
I was referring to this floorpanel:

Not the patchwork. :) (I dibbled in level editing and do some 3d stuff as a hobby).

I'm guessing its a standard rage floor panel, but only id.dav can answer that for sure.

DoomMarine82 said:

Great work id.dav! It looks amazing! You could copy all this staff to d3 engine and compile it :)

Thanks))
You mean I can actually open map file in D3 radiant? Well anyway I just want to wait for D4 modding stuff..if it ever happen)

@ id.dav You can (if my memory serves me well) just copy all brush world to DOOM 3 without objects, just solid brush (and lights) and then you can make from this DOOM 3 map, if you like I can do this with pleasure and then I put this on forum :) Just send me rage *.map file if you want and I see what I can do with this.

EDIT:

@MrDeAD1313 - I was thinking about this, but there is generally one big problem - we can't talk, showing screenshots/movies etc. about DOOM alpha :( so I don't know will it be ok, if I make DOOM alpha map on DOOM 3 engine :(

DoomMarine82 said:

@ id.dav You can (if my memory serves me well) just copy all brush world to DOOM 3 without objects, just solid brush (and lights) and then you can make from this DOOM 3 map, if you like I can do this with pleasure and then I put this on forum :) Just send me rage *.map file if you want and I see what I can do with this.

EDIT:

@MrDeAD1313 - I was thinking about this, but there is generally one big problem - we can't talk, showing screenshots/movies etc. about DOOM alpha :( so I don't know will it be ok, if I make DOOM alpha map on DOOM 3 engine :(

If you want)) Send where?

Oh wow! Thanks so much for the video breakdown! There is way more stuff that you slotted together by hand then I had anticipated. :)

It has been such a long time since I dabbled with level design and 3d stuff (years probably). But seeing you in that editor certainly makes me itch. Last (level) editor I tried was the in-build editor of doom3 and I have to admit that was a bit of a fiasco (gamma and all kind of rendering/resolution issues).

This is probably the last true id level editor you get to play with now that all "modding" will take place via snapmap. A true shame especially since the megatexture tech with its associated baking steps is off the table. Levelbuilding for idtech 6 would be considerably easier and faster and i suspect more in line with something like UED (albeit much less polished). Ah well.

Either way thanks for showing me. :)

PS
Here are some of my 3d doodles stuff if your curious (old but its what I used to do so). 3dioot.com

redrage said:

PS
Here are some of my 3d doodles stuff if your curious (old but its what I used to do so). 3dioot.com

Ooh! You are a pro modeler)) I mean with the skills of yours you could've easely recreate any of the doom assets and monsters)))) Great stuff))

@id.dav

You are being way too kind, thank you very much for your comment. :)

In the end the 3d stuff just remained a hobby for me. I ended up in programming (not game related). The itch never went away though. Who knows, maybe ill partake in the mod scene one day. ^_^