Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Monsters that don't exist in DOOM... but should.

I would really like to have George Romero-style former human civilians. Non-demonic ammo soaks who are weaker and slower than pinkies, but used in greater numbers and therefore taking up more space. When ammo is tight, the player would ignore these guys, letting them gradually gather in numbers and build tension.

A very powerful melee enemy -kinda like a pinky on steroids. Not any faster than pinkies, but more damaging, and, most importantly, more accurate than pinkies with their ridiculous delayed attack. Or leave his attack delayed, but make it able to potentially kill a player with one hit.

This could be e.g. a cyberdemon without implants, simply running towards the player and punching/kicking him hard with his brute strength and big biceps. He should have a delayed frontal punch/claw attack, and an immediate rear mule-kicking attack -for those trying to sneak behind him.

Also, some form of enemy attacks which would have consequences like e.g. reddening the player view's excessively (as if he took an immense amount of damage all at once), or pushing him back, without damaging him immediately or only doing tiny amounts of damage.

A melee-only enemy that doesn't have difficulty getting through 64-wide spaces and actually has a chance to damage the player instead of just chewing on fresh air or charging way off into the distance.

I always wanted to see a imp-like monster (with the same HP) that fires baron's projectiles. Nothing too much, but I think it would be menacing in hordes, and more fun to kill than actual hell nobles.

And I really liked the zombie with BFG that I found (I don't remember where, in one of the Doomkid's maps?). I think it works very well because you have time to defend yourself. Any monster with a BFG ability and a fair reaction time could be awesome.

mrthejoshmon said:

A hovering arachnotron would be great, why did the UAC only send in legged cybernetics?

arachnophyte.. it's hovering.

Noiser said:

And I really liked the zombie with BFG that I found (I don't remember where, in one of the Doomkid's maps?). I think it works very well because you have time to defend yourself. Any monster with a BFG ability and a fair reaction time could be awesome.

it's in strain.wad.

spider with bfg and 2 chainguns = demolisher.

Prix said:

spider with bfg and 2 chainguns = demolisher.

I'm aware about the demolisher... but in this case I thought in something more like a regular enemy than a boss. Something that can be applied more naturally, even with a gimmicky behavior (like the AV).

It's a interesting monster, anyway.

Maes said:

A very powerful melee enemy -kinda like a pinky on steroids. Not any faster than pinkies, but more damaging, and, most importantly, more accurate than pinkies with their ridiculous delayed attack. Or leave his attack delayed, but make it able to potentially kill a player with one hit.

This could be e.g. a cyberdemon without implants, simply running towards the player and punching/kicking him hard with his brute strength and big biceps. He should have a delayed frontal punch/claw attack, and an immediate rear mule-kicking attack -for those trying to sneak behind him.

Also, some form of enemy attacks which would have consequences like e.g. reddening the player view's excessively (as if he took an immense amount of damage all at once), or pushing him back, without damaging him immediately or only doing tiny amounts of damage.

That would be really awesome- and scary! There is a non-implant covered cybie on the realm667, but its got some sort of lame ranged attack and no melee animations... damn that would be cool tho

Fun topic and all but the title is driving me crazy.

Can someone replace the *it* with *in*? Or am I missing something here.

I've always thought that an enemy with a high knockback attack (and I mean like anime style getting-thrown-into-a-wall high) would suit the agile nature of Doom. I personally envision it as a Hell Knight sized monster which charges you like a Lost Soul would. Having a monster that threatens to displace you heavily would bring a number of possibilities for encounters, I'd say.

Another idea I would like to see more of is enemies which attack while moving. Something like an Arachnotron inching its way towards you while firing, or a Demon with a chaingun which continues to run towards you while firing. (Does the Chaingun Demon on Realm667 do that?) Essentially an enemy which threatens to close the gap between you and them while you're trying to dodge their attacks.

Chezza said:

Fun topic and all but the title is driving me crazy.

Can someone replace the *it* with *in*? Or am I missing something here.

Fixed. (Rev 1.01)

The main niche I can see missing is a weak flying monster with a ranged attack, like the fire gargoyles in Heretic. In the flying department, Doom goes direct from the lost soul (melee only) to the cacodemon and pain elemental (big, relatively tough).

We could also add an exploding monster -- not necessarily a suicide bomber, just something that explodes when killed so that you have to kill it before it gets close, and you could make tactical use of it to soften up other monsters, or even set up a chain reaction because that's always a lot of fun.

I'm surprised none of the Doom monsters ever used the BFG or any variant of it, are the hordes of hell just terrified of the thing? You could even have a possessed human armed with it, making it the most extreme example of a glass cannon.

I think it would be cool to have a fairly fast, high-damage melee monster which, most importantly, does not have a wakeup sound or an active sound. This would keep the player on his toes and scare the hell out of you sometimes.