Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mew251

creating new monsters with zdoom

Can we created new monsters, without replacing the old ones, with zdoom ? like edge with ddf ?

Well, check my other post. I believe that if Randy creates a global thing scripting system for ZDoom, it will probably not be like DDF but C-style (thank god if so).

If you want to create at least one new monsters, without replacing the old ones, with ZDoom - yes, that is possible but extremely tricky (unless you are a programmer and able to modify the source code for yourself) and you'll have to spend long, long time nesting frame jumps and sprite subnumbers, which in my opinion is such a boring and overcomplicated process that I'd much rather not add any new monsters at all in any case.

I'd say if you're desperate to create some new monster with ZDoom - start with replacing the Wolfenstein SS guard :)

ZDoom + DDFs=ZDDF!
ZDoom Data Definition Files! Hmm, imagine the things you could do....

Is Zdoom some kind of borg-cube or what?

All Doom ports prepare to be assimilated for the greater good!

Little Faith said:

Is Zdoom some kind of borg-cube or what?

All Doom ports prepare to be assimilated for the greater good!

The way I understand it, the Zdoom scripting language will probably have a lot in common with Unrealscript, so All games prepare to be assimilated...

If you want to get a more powerful imp as an extra enemy, pop along to my site and go to the dehacked section, then scroll down to the "Some worked examples of how to do things, with downloads" link and pick the "Additional Super Imp (BEX)" link. That example shows you how to make a new, tough imp with dehacked, but not have an adverse effect on any other enemies or items.

If someone took Zdoom and Jdoom, then jumbled em up into one big pile 'o goodness, i'd be chuffed.

In the end Zdoom will swallow everything so your prayers will probably come true someday.

ZdoomIII? Ph33r!

what we need is someone to take the Prboom port and just add ACS scripting in it, with Zdoom features like 3d sky, mirrors, and the railgun dehacked feature.

that will make me one happy doomer.

Little Faith said:

And I thought that you always needed to salvage frames from somewhere.

Oh, you do. But there are places to pinch them from that will have no effect on gameplay.

Like?

Most of the times I have seen pieces of scenery (such as columns and torches) salvaged for extra frames, but it does theoretically have an impact since the scenery in question cannot be used. This could be a problem if you wanted your mod to be compatible with other wads.

Well, one of the first places I look is the Pain Elemental respawn frames. These frames should be used when the PE is resurrected by the Archvile, but seeing as how the PE doesn't leave a body lying around, they don't get resurrected. Set the PE respawn frame to 0, and then use those frames without affecting anything else (I used them in my super imp mod). Apparently it is possible for the PE to be resurrected in very, very odd circumstances - I've never seen it. I think if one dies under a door as the door is closing, it is just possible for it to leave a squished pool of blood that an Archie can resurrect if it passes that way. Like I said, never seen it myself.

From here in, you do start having to pinch from places that can affect the game. Maybe try making the item respawn fog use the same frames as the teleport flash (and possibly colour shift it so the teleport and item fogs look different). This then frees up the item fog frames. The item fog is only used for respawning items, so in a SP map it isn't really needed anyway.

There are one or two other frames that are unused (like that grey stump sprite on frame 887). And you can pinch frames from the end of things like the teleport flash or bullet puff with little impact on how they look.

If you are not going to use an archvile in your levels, then you have just freed up loads of frames. The Archie himself has many, many frames, as does his attack, and then of course none of the monsters need their respawn frames because the Archie won't be bringing them back to life so all of them are freed up too.

There are many places to shave off a frame or two actually. It depends what you are using in your mod, and what you can live without.

bigbadgangsta said:

Not yet, but I've heard that Randy has plans to add a DDF like system to Zdoom.

REALLY?! Cool! Now I can finally make a Lizard's Legacy Weapon's Mod like I've always wanted to do. Reloading animations for my weaponds, all the enemies into one WAD, and other cool stuff I've always wanted to do... Wow, zdoom and DDF support, I like that...