Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

PS4 Controller

I don't own the PS4 btw, just bought the controller and some cord from the Sprint store.

I've been bored with how I play Doom, so I decided to try my PS4 controller with it. I've got to say, it's a pretty relaxing experience. It's mostly because the PS4 controller is probably the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I've had an x360 one given to me from a friend about 7ish years ago. While that one feels like a good design, the triggers are just awful on my fingers as they kill the circulation after holding it for too long. The PS4 one has a lightweight trigger that feels comfortable to wrap the finger around. The difference is very noticeable in racing games (edit: If you've played super meat boy, you probably know what I'm talking about regarding the holding the trigger down for long periods of time). I noticed last night how nice it felt to use the SSG just by lightly pulling the trigger on the controller. The button positions are pretty good too, especially the start/select when you get used to the locations. The pad (I'm not sure what it does for the PS4) acts as a trackpad mouse, which is an added bonus.

I felt like making this thread to express my happiness with it. The x360 one just felt bothersome to play sometimes, and now I found a controller experience that seems to be much better.

I've got a PS2-styled controller, mainly for emulators and a few games where keyboard control just doesn't seem right to me no matter what I do to the config (Dynasty Warriors in particular).

By far I've always preferred the layout on Sony's controllers over those XBox things. First XBox had controllers which required you to have hands the size of a fucking bus just to hold it comfortably, and that persistent ass-backward asymmetrical analog stick placement is fucking retarded. Who the fuck was it designed for? This guy?

The D-Pad on XB controllers is a piece of shit too, unlike the PlayStation controller.

If you study the Dreamcast controller, one can theorize that Microsoft made their controller based off of it, and considered the first Xbox as Dreamcast 1.5.

BaronOfStuff said:

The D-Pad on XB controllers is a piece of shit too

The Xbone controller's dpad is a massive improvement on its predecessors. It's too bad the build quality of the controller is awful. I've owned three of them. These days I'm also using a PS4 controller, and I've never looked back.

I find it ironic that Microsoft's latest controller has less functionality on it's PC operating system than a third part controller using unofficial software (in my case DS4Windows)... Just try using a your XBone controller wirelessly... Kinda sums up Microsofts half-arsed lip service to gaming really.

Anyway, I used a Logitech F710 for quite a while before this generation of consoles (wireless without a huge 360 dongle, better d-pad and better backwards compatibility). Problem was that every so often it would lag or drop connection and the rumble was a bit rubbish.

After some research and asking over at the ZDoom forum I decided to go for a DS4. I haven't had a single issue with it. It's wireless, responsive, highly compatible, got good rumble (for Doom Retro - thanks Brad!) and the battery last longer than people say it does.

I can't play Doom with a mouse (bad wrist - I'm old!) so it's nice to have a robust choice for some more nuanced Doom game-play than keyboard only offers. I highly recommend sitting back on the sofa and running through some of your favourite WADs with the controller. It does add a new element to old WADs and, like Blackfish says, it's quite relaxing! :)

I've always found the placement of the X360 joysticks to be better suited for hands than the parallel PS2/3 analog sticks. The D-Pad isn't great, though, and the Joysticks do get in the way of that. But by themselves the joystick placement is better, imo. Of course, DPads for most controllers have their issues in one form or another.

Clonehunter said:

I've always found the placement of the X360 joysticks to be better suited for hands than the parallel PS2/3 analog sticks.

Fucking mutants.

Well to be fair, you are raising your thumb up and backwards with the Playstation layout. With the XBox layout, your thumb is in a slightly more natural position (parallel to most the rest of your fingers).

I wish I still had my PS3 controllers. Been using a 360 controller with my PC for convenience. Not the biggest fan of the 360 controller due to its shape, stick placement and weight, but 'it just werks' with most PC games. The D-Pad however is atrocious. I hear this is because Nintendo has a patent on D-Pad design?

Use an iBuffalo USB SNES controller for playing roms, that thing is great really recommend it.

Doom works surprisingly well with a controller because you don't have to look up and down, really handy.

Jaxxoon R said:

Well to be fair, you are raising your thumb up and backwards with the Playstation layout. With the XBox layout, your thumb is in a slightly more natural position (parallel to most the rest of your fingers).

Pretty much this. It has a more relaxed, natural feel as far as the thumbs go. With PS controllers I feel like I'm stretching the thumbs too far, and it causes slight strain over very prolonged periods of play (Though I haven't experienced much of that as I haven't touched my PS2 in a very long time).

I love the ps3 controller. The Xbox 360 one feels left wrist breaking after a while. It happened to Matthew Perry. Games like Bleed and Ollie Olie have injured my thumbs at the knuckle for a month after an hour of playing.