Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Stuck with barriers and 3d floors.

Hey there!

I'm having a spot of trouble understanding something. I made a new map and in it there are some areas that are acting as fences, they are a texture as opposed to a sector. The map is made in Zandronum Doom2 UDMF.

Everything works as long as 3D floors aren't concerned, I select the "Jump over railings" and "Impassable" option and the fences can now be jumped over while not allowing you to run through them. But say if I do this on a fence underneath a bridge which is a 3D floor, the effect is replicated on top of that 3D floor, creating an invisible barrier, all be it one you can also jump over....how do I get it so that the effect only happens underneath it?

The "railing" effect comes from Strife and has some limitations. Try to use 3D midtexture instead.

Make a handrail above the fence texture from a solid 3d sector, and make sure the fence texture doesn't block the player. It's the solid handrail that actually blocks the player, and if it's put at the right height it can also be jumped over.

I hope this makes sense.

Have you tried making the fence itself partly 3D? At occasion instead of using the mid-texture flat I literally create little pillars and put a 3D handrail on top of them all. A bit more effort yes but it can work.

Dave The Daring said:

Make a handrail above the fence texture from a solid 3d sector, and make sure the fence texture doesn't block the player. It's the solid handrail that actually blocks the player, and if it's put at the right height it can also be jumped over.

I hope this makes sense.

Chezza said:

Have you tried making the fence itself partly 3D? At occasion instead of using the mid-texture flat I literally create little pillars and put a 3D handrail on top of them all. A bit more effort yes but it can work.

Aye, I get the ideas, they sound pretty good. My map though is fairly large, so I want to find a good economical way of doing it. One method I had was to put an untextured wall beside the fence and raise it up to the same height, while leaving the other fences not under a 3d floor, with the impassable and rail options still ticked. The downside to this is though, is that players can get stuck on the edges of the walls, so they'll often have to extend to an area or corner they can't get caught on, creating sections of ticked and un-ticked fences and walls....I don't like this, it makes it a bit messy. Here's an image of it.

But I will try the 3d floor as a barrier on top of the fence though, the thought didn't come to me to make a 3d floor, under another one. I'll see how that works.

Thanks for the help! Should make things much easier!