Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cosmicsquish

wth happened with oka****?

I'm a rare visitor here and my all-out addiction to Doom is some years in the past. I had my main Doom 1 and 2 madness in the 90s, but I have been quite impressed by the wads created since then, and the players who master them.

I was drawn back to the game in part through ogling of certain insane vids of Holy Hell and Sunder played with unholy and quite possibly unrealistic mastery by one particular player. It's been so long since I watched his stuff that I forget how to spell the name. Okaplok or somesuch.

He and his work have now been washed from the net so entirely that it can't be an accident. Can anyone tell me what happened? Was he proven to be a cheater? I know that was an issue, though the threads debating that seem to be gone too.

What happened?

Has Doom too been taken over by Big Brother, so that I will never know the truth of Okaplok's fate?

Just so people know, I was a bit sceptical of his new strat (at the time) on hr2final map32 and mentioned the possibility of doing a zdoom demo. He eventually did a zdoom demo and my scepticism was gone.

Why would Oku simply close his channel yet again? Way to spit in the face of your subscribers.

So it appears that I have nothing to do but grieve because okuplok is dead. I'm not expert enough to judge whether he was a cheater, and really I don't care. His demos were entertaining as hell and I wish I'd downloaded them while I could. His youtube existence has been erased, by himself or others I don't know. I don't have the time or tech to recreate his demos if they aren't easy posts to youtube, so it's lost to me.

Damn, but the runs of the earlier Sunder levels: Cage and Metal Descendants and Hollow Icon and Hags Finger and the rest...

All gone now?

Holy Hell in one nonstop 3 hour run. Not that I 100% believed anyone could really do that with out a single break, because how is that possible? It was still some awesome viewing.

All gone?

Forever?

So sad.

cosmicsquish said:

Damn, but the runs of the earlier Sunder levels: Cage and Metal Descendants and Hollow Icon and Hags Finger and the rest...

All gone now?

http://doomedsda.us/wad1193.html

cosmicsquish said:

Holy Hell in one nonstop 3 hour run. Not that I 100% believed anyone could really do that with out a single break, because how is that possible? It was still some awesome viewing.

All gone?

http://doomedsda.us/wad1532.html

I don't think linking to the source of all the demos is of any use, OP seems to be too deep in his emotional trauma to notice.

cosmicsquish said:

I don't have the time or tech to recreate his demos if they aren't easy posts to youtube, so it's lost to me.

Just download those tiny lmp files from the DSDA page and load them in prboom-plus along with the wad that they were made for.

It will look better than on Youtube and you can use the +/- keys to accelerate/decelerate the playback.

You can even drop the wads and the demos on an Android tablet and play them in D-Touch, on the go, since you like them so much.

cosmicsquish said:

So it appears that I have nothing to do but grieve because okuplok is dead.

Do you have any sources for this?

Glaice said:

Why would Oku simply close his channel yet again? Way to spit in the face of your subscribers.

Don't see it like this, I loved his videos, but I'm sure he has his reasons and he doesn't owe us anything.

Glaice said:

Do you have any sources for this?

He just seems to exaggerating.

J4rio and ribbiks have much better times meanwhile. Okuplok never struck me as a very fast player, rather, his calm and patience were impressive.

j4rio said:

I don't think linking to the source of all the demos is of any use, OP seems to be too deep in his emotional trauma to notice.

Too true. Thx for understanding my man.

AD_79 said:

Yeah but my lazy ass wants youtube videos. One click. Res is good enough to see what's happening.

VGA has it right - there is a better way. I will make an effort to educate myself re prboom-plus. I somehow moved past my days as a motivated coder, but perhaps a second youth will come to me.

Pirx - that calm is just unreal, right? Other players did the job, but there was just something about oka's game. He's either brilliant or a psycho. Likely both. ;)

cosmicsquish said:

Yeah but my lazy ass wants youtube videos.

There is maybe 5-10% of all must-watch demos from DSDA uploaded to youtube. The effort required to play back the demo is almost identical to watching it on yt once you know how to do it, so you would do yourself a favor by figuring it out.

Watching a youtube video is also 10000+ times more bandwidth consuming than downloading a .lmp demo. Not that it matters a lot in this day and age, but for some people it does.

And unlike demos, you can't look at automap whenever you want in a youtube video.

scifista42 said:

Watching a youtube video is also 10000+ times more bandwidth consuming than downloading a .lmp demo. Not that it matters a lot in this day and age, but for some people it does.

And unlike demos, you can't look at automap whenever you want in a youtube video.

On the other hand, you can watch a YT vid on thousands of different devices in an infinite number of places, which makes them good for casual viewing.

What puzzles me also is his name being starred out partially in the topic..

The OP must have typoed his name in a way that triggered auto-censorship, like the word "*******" does. I've been trying to type numerous variations of "plok" to a Preview Reply for at least half an hour, but I didn't find the auto-censored word. I know that this method works because "*******" showed as stars in a Preview Reply.

scifista42 said:

The OP must have typoed his name in a way that triggered auto-censorship, like the word "*******" does.

It's been so long since I watched his stuff that I forget how to spell the name. Okaplok or somesuch.

He must have mistakenly written something different than "plok" into the thread title, I just don't know what exactly.

Jon said:

On the other hand, you can watch a YT vid on thousands of different devices in an infinite number of places, which makes them good for casual viewing.

You can run Doom in more devices that can play Youtube vids, so there! hehe! Just kidding but there is D-Touch for Android devices, so...

Also, you can use prboom's viddump functionality to shit out a video of a demo with a simple batch file.

I personally greatly enjoy having impressive Doom demos to watch on Youtube. Keep in mind it exposes them to a broader audience too.

There's one reason why I prefer watching demos on youtube: rewind. For those "wtf did he just do" moments. And fast forward is more comfortable. When you're used with a 1440p screen however, videos have to be very high quality to look as good as a demo running in prboom. Requires literally thousands of times more bandwidth, but who cares. I like having the original recording as .lmp, but both methods have their merits.