Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Doom Source Code

Hi , I got the source code of doom . But it works in linux.
I know that id cannot release the dos version , but :
1. Is this also doom2 source code ?
2. How to use it on Windows ?
3. Does this contain all sprites & sounds ?

Doomkid said:

It is the Doom2 source as well. It doesn't contain any graphics, sprites, sounds or music. You'll have to build it into a source port to use it in Windows :)

And you can't do this in Dehacked.

Graphics, sprites, sounds, music, levels, palette, etc., are not stored in the executable, but in IWADs (Doom.wad, Doom2.wad...). That's why the source code is free and GPL, but the games are still being sold because the WADs are not freeware.

The Doommer said:

Just under Linux ?
No way with windows ?

It is pretty easy to port to Windows, but so many people have already done that, that it's kind of a waste of your time except as a learning experience.

Have you ever done any programming before?

If no, you are way out of your league here, especially considering the original Doom source release. You'll never get it to compile if you do not know the way around software development tools, and no help that's being given here is going to change that.

What exactly do you plan to do that other people haven't already implemented in their own source ports? What do you plan to do which is unique?

Gentlepoke said:

What exactly do you plan to do that other people haven't already implemented in their own source ports? What do you plan to do which is unique?

Not unique.
Some 3D graphic improvements...

The Doommer said:

Not unique.
Some 3D graphic improvements...

Do you have a mock-up of the improvements you plan to make, in addition to any actual detailed plans?

It'd be a lot more prudent to start with GL BOOM IMHO. It's already built to use SDL and has a 3D renderer that could be hacked to support colored lighting, dynamic light sources, etc. with minimal effort in directions other than the ones you want to move in.

Start with Chocolate Doom. It fixes the engine to be true to vanilla and portable to many OSes, including Windows. It should be the better launching point.

Please don't try to use the original Doom source code - you're likely to waste a lot of time. Instead use one of the many existing source ports that already run on modern operating systems.

Quasar said:

It'd be a lot more prudent to start with GL BOOM IMHO. It's already built to use SDL and has a 3D renderer that could be hacked to support colored lighting, dynamic light sources, etc. with minimal effort in directions other than the ones you want to move in.

fraggle said:

Please don't try to use the original Doom source code - you're likely to waste a lot of time. Instead use one of the many existing source ports that already run on modern operating systems.

Why are people afraid to promote their own work? Both Eternity and Chocolate-Doom are excellent bases. For someone with Visual Studio familiarity I'd recommend Eternity (you'll have to download SDL, SDL_mixer and SDL_net though, and set the project to point to their header and .lib files).

For some beginner I really would recommend neither ZDoom nor Eternity. PrBoom is far better suited here. The advanced ports may easily give a false impression about some of the inner workings because they have changed them. That applies to both ZDoom and Eternity in quite significant ways.

The Doommer said:

Of course !!!!!
C
C++
C#
Java
VB

The Doommer said:

Isn't SDL an application ?
or it's a Dll ??

The Doommer said:

should i continue ?

No, I think you laid it out as plainly as possible :-)

Not trying to question your programming skills here, but maybe what you're really after is some sort of "game maker" type of software/engine, which would allow you to make a "Doom lookalike" if you put yourself to it, but without having to deal with the vagaries of the Doom engine and save yourself a good deal of programming headaches?

printz said:

Why are people afraid to promote their own work? Both Eternity and Chocolate-Doom are excellent bases. For someone with Visual Studio familiarity I'd recommend Eternity (you'll have to download SDL, SDL_mixer and SDL_net though, and set the project to point to their header and .lib files).

Eternity is a nice port, but the code is a bit of a mess :P

chungy said:

Eternity is a nice port, but the code is a bit of a mess :P

As a person who in the same period tried to take a look at ZDoom and Eternity code, Eternity's code is WAAAAAY cleaner than the more popular alternative.

I suppose so. The build system is more complicated than PrBoom-Plus or Chocolate Doom though, for sure.

IDEA: Try Wolf3D instead of Doom! Head over to their community website or Google for its source code! You need DOSBox, Borland C and a copy of the original game! You do NOT need any extras like SDL, it should compile right away! Just follow the download guidelines if you have trouble!

printz said:

IDEA: Try Wolf3D instead of Doom! Head over to their community website or Google for its source code! You need DOSBox, Borland C and a copy of the original game! You do NOT need any extras like SDL, it should compile right away! Just follow the download guidelines if you have trouble!

I never bothered much with Wolf3D, and I guess that you know more than most people about it, but is it really so easy to build and self-contained (VGA and sound drivers) compared to Doom?

I suggested Wolf3D vanilla for DOS (not Wolf4SDL!) because:

1) It's the original DOS executable. No Linux challenges, particularities or differences.
2) Barring setting up the development environment, it compiles all by itself, no need to learn external libraries like SDL or, like Linux Doom, rewrite it to even work. Now I suppose I need to link or list the Wolf3D community website which has the instructions to setup the development environment, but meh. It's not on topic.
3) Itself is easier than Doom and can help getting used to game engines.