Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Healing Floor

I'm not sure, but I think the healing pool from Quake is just a big stack of medikits, safely hidden by the opaque water, with a counted trigger that's set to notify you when all items are gone.

In Doom you can only hide them if the port of choice allows opaque deep water like Quake. Unfortunately the word medikit or stimpack will be clear, unlike Quake which just states "health". There are better tricks available in Boom, but they're very complex.

Lastly, just use ZDoom and whatever scripts needed. I'm sure they exist and it's the easiest.

Quake does allow for healing "floors" (actually trigger volumes) by using hacks, of which there are quite a few in Quake.

In Vanilla Doom I think you are out of luck. I was under the impression you can fuck with the sector specials in Dehacked, turns out you can't. That way you might be able to make a hurting sector a healing one. But yeah, seems you can't :(

printz: What tricks do you mean in Boom? The only thing I can think of is something like conveyors and voodoo dolls, which are not that hard to set up, and if you wanted it to be activated by a floor you would just need to have a bunch of linedefs close together so they get triggered while you are on the floor. Though does that work once you stop moving on them? I am not sure how that works. Do walkover linedefs get retriggered if you just stand on them without moving?

And it would not get rid of the message you get depending on which items you placed there.

So yeah, easiest would probably be ZDoom or possibly anything that supports ACS.

printz said:

I'm not sure, but I think the healing pool from Quake is just a big stack of medikits, safely hidden by the opaque water, with a counted trigger that's set to notify you when all items are gone.

That's exactly how it worked in vanilla Quake. I think they intended to, but didn't finish in time, the necessary triggers to do it any other way. (mods have added that since of course)

Turns out the ZDoom wiki has an example you can try.

I modified it so one script can be used for 10 healing floors in a map, each with their own properties. Also changed it so it only heals if the player stands on the floor.

int InSector[8][10]; //8 players x 10 unique floors

script 10 (int hp, int tics, int floorNum)
{
     InSector[PlayerNumber()][floorNum] = TRUE;

while (InSector[PlayerNumber()][floorNum]) {
          if (GetActorZ(0) - GetActorFloorZ(0) == 0) {
               HealThing(hp);
               ThingSound(0, "special/regen", 127);
          }
          delay(tics);
     }
}

script 11 (int floorNum)
{
     InSector[PlayerNumber()][floorNum] = FALSE;
}

ptoing said:

In Vanilla Doom I think you are out of luck. I was under the impression you can fuck with the sector specials in Dehacked, turns out you can't. That way you might be able to make a hurting sector a healing one. But yeah, seems you can't :(

Actually you can do it in vanilla Doom as well! But it may incur long wait times. Place a voodoo doll in a tiny square sector, and surround it by as many perpetual lifts as possible, that carry medikits. The lifts should only be active when the player is inside the area. However on coop multiplayer the health will be distributed to all players, even if only one of them entered the pool (just don't forget placing voodoo dolls for all players).