Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

The ironic thing about Portal 1

The humor is dark too. People love hearing a villain talk to you now. Have a game that can get monotonous? Throw in jokez.

As for the music its good juxtaposition and well dark music is better than chaotic frantic music when helping you solve puzzles.

geo said:

The humor is dark too. People love hearing a villain talk to you now. Have a game that can get monotonous? Throw in jokez.

As for the music its good juxtaposition and well dark music is better than chaotic frantic music when helping you solve puzzles.

It's not really juxtaposition when Portal 1 was actually really dark especially in the second half when you're moving through rusted glowing red corridors. Portal 2 tried to be more funny. Portal 1 was more serious since it was directly apart of Half-Life

If its really dark why is it ironic that the music is dark?

geo said:

If its really dark why is it ironic that the music is dark?

because the humor tends to overshadow the dark undertones of the series. what are you going to remember more, the cake-jokes or the rusty behind-the-scenes levels of the last part of the game?

Fun fact: According to leaked production documents, Portal was originally intended to be horror-themed. Valve later scrapped the horror theme, as they saw it might not resonate well with their fanbase.

/sarcasm

MFG38 said:

Fun fact: According to leaked production documents, Portal was originally intended to be horror-themed. Valve later scrapped the horror theme, as they saw it might not resonate well with their fanbase.

/sarcasm

I'm happy they scrapped the horror. Humor sure resonates with their fanbase,
"A Hideo Kojima game,"
"11/10 its like Skyrim with onions,"
"10/10 would uninstall again and again,"
"420/10 smoked so high I didn't even know I played this game for 420 hours,"
"cheap game that gave me cards, like your mom gives herpies,"
"not in 8K resolution and locked at 30 frames a second,"
"I'm in this game and you can follow me on Twitter,"
"I made this game and I think its pretty good."

Those are all real reviews I've seen.

geo said:

"A Hideo Kojima game,"

Hideo Kojima game? That guy just used to make movies for Playstation.

Winged_Warrior said:

Hideo Kojima game? That guy just used to make movies for Playstation.

Did I botch his name? I've only played the first Metal Gear on the NES and it was such a lasting impression that I never played a Metal Gear game again. I hear its about a high school battleground where soldiers are cartoons of themselves.

kristus said:

Kojima didn't really make the NES version of Metal Gear though. It's generally considered a botched port.

While it night not have its name it still has the same name. :-)

kristus said:

It's generally considered a botched port.

So botched that it's hardly the same game. The porting team replaced the first level with their own shitty one, simplified what areas were kept, and rearranged everything. They took so many liberties that it really isn't the same experience.

Geo, forget anything you've ever experienced from that version and go try the MSX version for at least a couple minutes and see if your opinion doesn't improve.

Or, start with Metal Gear 2, which is highly, highly polished.

Not to be confused with "Snakes revenge" which was the sequel made for the NES release that got Kojima motivated to make MG2 in the first place.

IMO the first Portal game is ... lonely. As I played through it for the first time, I felt overcome by a real sense of isolation, like I was trapped in some sort of Logan's Run-inspired version of Hell. I spent most of my early childhood in and out of hospital, and I remember lying awake in the bed in the children's ward at night, staring at the ceiling, silently pining for my mum to come and take me home, and all the while wondering what was going on outside. Portal 1's atmosphere reminds me of that time, albeit without the hassle of being six.

IMO the first Portal game is ... lonely. As I played through it for the first time, I felt overcome by a real sense of isolation, like I was trapped in some sort of Logan's Run-inspired version of Hell.

Yeah, this is a great way to put it. I loved the second game too but I understand people who didn't find what they wanted in the sequel. First one definitely hit that tone of cog in the machine.

Portal 2 had the whole of Valve working on it instead of just a small mod team so that's why it was a bloated sequel with way too much going on. The co-op is the only good thing about Portal 2 because it's actually hard.

The only thing ironic about it is that it's one of the fastest-moving modern FPS games (to the extent that you "shoot" stuff), while actual combat shooters are often much slower :-)

Also, some of its environments would be quite fitting for a modernized Doom, having a weird mixture of realistic appearance and abstract architecture. I can definitively "see" a lot of Portal 2's rooms/chambers being textured in a "Doom-like" manner.

SavageCorona said:

Portal 2 had the whole of Valve working on it instead of just a small mod team so that's why it was a bloated sequel with way too much going on. The co-op is the only good thing about Portal 2 because it's actually hard.

i've heard the co-op is very meh and not really as great as people praise it to be. gameplay-wise, Portal 2 benefitted way more from user-created levels and mods, which are pumped out rather fast from what i remember and basically ensures you won't have a dull moment for a long time.

The Portal games were at their best were when they creeped you the fuck out and then hit you with a clever joke 30 seconds later. Then a puzzle. Then creeped you out again, more laughs. It was a great game to watch another person play, that's what I remember. And people are pointing at the screen where the player should shoot. It was a game you could socialize over and it wasn't mind-numbing in the slightest. Some of the mechanics like gun turrets got old really fast, IMHO. Ok, so you tip these guys over and they are dead? There could have been some patrolling cyborgs/robots who walk around and maybe some fliers.

Hmm, I never really found portal tat funny though.

Glados: "This is the part where he kills you"

Wheatly: "This is the part where I kill you"

Uhhh so thats the joke?

Doominator2 said:

Hmm, I never really found portal tat funny though.

Glados: "This is the part where he kills you"

Wheatly: "This is the part where I kill you"

Uhhh so thats the joke?

Chapter 8: The part where he kills you
Achievement: The part where he kills you

I thought it was funny through absurdity. (mostly mocking rather obvious things)

Doomhuntress said:

i've heard the co-op is very meh and not really as great as people praise it to be. gameplay-wise, Portal 2 benefitted way more from user-created levels and mods, which are pumped out rather fast from what i remember and basically ensures you won't have a dull moment for a long time.

I never said it was good, I only said it was the best thing about the game. Which now that I think about it, is actually the mods, though they didn't come until after I uninstalled the game to sit in my been there done that category.

Doomhuntress said:

It could be a case of having so few co-op games in that genre, but I thought it was a blast. It's the perfect experience to play with your non-gaming spouse, because Valve puts so much effort into making things accessible and foolproof. There should be more games like that. Nintendo does that, of course, but games with more "adult" themes are always welcome. There was that Borderlands developer who got bad press for naming a character "girlfriend mode"; semantics aside and beyond couples specifically, different people are invested differently in video games. It's great when you can plunge deep in a game with your friends knowing the disparity in skill level won't be a showstopper.

When you got another game which lets me do the Eiffel tower with my friend after a successful puzzle completion. You let me know. Had great fun with the Coop in portal.

Though I had wished for the puzzles to be more of everything. For instance. More puzzles where you need to coordinate with your teammate while flying through the air shooting portals for each other would have been sweet.

geo said:

"A Hideo Kojima game,"

I should also point out Portal came out long before Steam reviews

kristus said:

When you got another game which lets me do the Eiffel tower with my friend after a successful puzzle completion.

There's a game that lets you high-five your friend while DPing a hooker?

Bucket said:

There's a game that lets you high-five your friend while DPing a hooker?

If you replace the hooker with the player and the two people doing the DP with Bungie and Activision, you get Destiny, so yes, yes there is.