Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Has anyone made a Doom rail shooter?

It would limit gameplay, but it would also be a drastic departure from traditional gameplay, which could potentially be very interesting.

I had plans for doing something like this but lost interest before finishing (or even adding any monsters).

Maps 1-3, ZDoom. Most things aren't working and you may need to clip/warp to get around. When you get into the "tunnel" press the back wall and you will start to move.

https://mega.nz/#!TUpnVZpD!gIwXffKrk5Jpb4h38FTtzpZjnLREvIVFm9E_lxUGT44

Years ago I was working on a game which was going to be a bit like Space Harrier, but using the FreeDoom assets (replaceable with DOOM assets if you prefer), and supporting two players on the one computer.

I got quite a lot working (based on the PrBoom engine) : camera following the player(s) who constantly run forward, players get damaged if they stop (hit a wall), support for jumping and jump pads, drawing a simple shadow underneath the players, controlling two players (one with keyboard, one with mouse).

But got bored with it after that, and the Boom engine(s) are surprisingly painful to use as a base for a completely different kind of game (e.g. all that comp-level stuff everywhere).

Vile1011 said:

I had plans for doing something like this but lost interest before finishing (or even adding any monsters).

Maps 1-3, ZDoom. Most things aren't working and you may need to clip/warp to get around. When you get into the "tunnel" press the back wall and you will start to move.

https://mega.nz/#!TUpnVZpD!gIwXffKrk5Jpb4h38FTtzpZjnLREvIVFm9E_lxUGT44

Those are quite well detailed tunnels! I'm not sure how well the gameplay would work, anyway it's a shame that not even one map was fully completed.

Well, if you consider that all other FPSes are nothing more then Doom clones, and that their gameplay has been dumbed down to the extreme, look no further: COD is already here ;-)

ABRACADABRA said:

Thers is an amazing but short mod for Doom 3 called Zombie Slayer. Just check it out

Nice, the gameplay reminds me of the old arcade games .

Wasn't there a Chinese rail shooter that used the Doom engine? I remember someone posting about it here years ago. This kind of thing should be on the wiki.

jute said:

Wasn't there a Chinese rail shooter that used the Doom engine? I remember someone posting about it here years ago. This kind of thing should be on the wiki.

That'd be this, A.D. Cop and the sequel/expansion Overseas Mission:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/56754-a-d-cop-dooms-estranged-rail-shooter-cousin-from-china/

(I later found out that it's from Taiwan, not China, but there you go.)

It doesn't actually use the Doom engine, per se, but like Amulets & Armor it uses the same WAD and map format, with some then-new additions like slopes, and a heaping helping of stolen resources.

@Revenant: "SHIT PISSER" has been in my repertoire of random expletives ever since that thread was made. Thanks for that. :P