Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unsuccessful FDA, 8:24, 4 deaths

Spoiler

Nicely architected and textured. Bit dark though. [UPDATE] on reflection it's not so much that the light level is too low, it's that there's no variation in it.

I died repeatedly at the rocket launcher, until I had the luck to isolate the archvile and kill it before it resurrected everything.

Finally I managed to reach two more archviles at the top of a lift. With no usable ammo remaining, it was quite fortunate one teleported away! I had to punch the second one.

Then a maze of lost souls. Don't care for mazes but at least it was quite small.

I eventually reached an arena with a mass of cacodemons, teleporting arachnotrons, and more archviles. I did not survive this. I didn't feel like continuing.

There's no skill level settings so if I try this again it'll have to be on ITYTD.

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 9, which luckily turned out to be a correct choice. I died in pretty much all bigger ambushes and didn't finish the map, but at least I've tried multiple times and enough to see a lot of setups. I liked the map, looked good in its detailing simplicity and the challenge was, well, actually challenging and often exciting. Good! I think the player would get stuck if he jumped for the yellow key before the green stone barrier was lowered, though. Maybe he also wouldn't get out of the whole yellow section at all if he jumped over the silver barrier like I did from the vent shaft.

That was way too hard for me lol
Couldn't pass the trap with Caco's, Archies and Spiders.

The music and architecture is very cool though.

Okay, here's a hint for that big fight that it sounds like nobody has gotten past. Try grabbing most of the ammo and going back through the teleporter at the front of the room and letting the monsters funnel into the start area.

E: I'll fix some of those other things today and re-upload it.

So with a name like Green Hell, is that what the music will be?

Good song and all that.

So I read VGA's warning and... uhh... well, I like to punch shit, so apparently I'll be trying this later ^^

Here's an FDA with 2 deaths. Made a deep run in the first attempt and got punished for panicking and not simply holding my ground with the plasma rifle. The other death was due to very sloppy play trying to speed up the start of the map. -skipsec 899 to get to the successful attempt.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this map. I liked the choice of soundtrack, it looked nice enough and it was always clear where the player was supposed to go. However there were some issues with how it played:

- Monsters have a great deal of trouble traversing the staircase by the starting area. This acts as a powerful bottleneck, effectively neutralising the threat from the first group of enemies and prevents the player from being ambushed when the player is fighting the pain elementals and viles later on.
- If the player stays calm when being teleported in the basement arena, they can lure the chaingunner and archviles into the starting area and kill them without waking the swarm of cacodemons. If you do this, there's no real pressure from the cacos and arachnotrons. They all get drip-fed to the player and the whole fight becomes a meatgrinder. With the archviles alive, they can at least put pressure on the player's ammo supply if they teleport up mid-encounter.
- If an arachnotron teleports back to the start, they seem to block other monsters from teleporting until they've been dispatched. This exacerbates the previous problem and makes camping the lift room very safe.
- I'm not a fan of 64 unit wide mazes and this one felt like pointless filler. There's no real reason for the player to traverse it and the lost souls are pose no threat with a berserk pack.

The maze is necessary, there's a switch in there you need to press. Yeah I know you can do all those things to bottleneck the monsters, but I made this thing in about 2 hrs. I might continue this and make it a small pack of maps and if I do, I'll try to correct some of the problems.

"enoh, enoh, gadawdadadad, enoh, enoh, gawadaduded, enoh, enoh, enoh, enoh, gadawdadadad... GOD I'M BURNIN!!! Breal-O!"

I really don't like being negative in a thread with a cool WAD but...

Aargh, when will mappers finally learn to specify the -complevel required, especially if they mention FDAs?

And it's not like I'm bitching about something rare, seems like a large part of experienced mappers somehow have absolutely no idea there is a way to play Doom other than the source port they use.

Alright so I had the chance last night to pop this bad boy in and did a good number of times ;p

It's been years since I played a slaughtermap... Typically, I don't like them, they are just not much fun. This, on the other hand, was very well designed and had some parts that were tricky as Hell! Far less revenant punching than I had hoped, but the map does start with a mancubus to punch and I did get to punch out a couple archviles and a handful of revs :)

I read going into this that ammo was scarce, or that you needed to save it up. Idk what that guy was shooting but a good general rule of thumb is that if it looks like a wall, probably dont shoot it. The run that I did complete I only actually punched out a handful of enemies. Given that health was far more scarce than ammo, I'd say punching should be avoided at all costs here. More likely that just strict ammo conservation will get you through this map, rather than trying to be Mayweather.

Spoiler

The big ass fight with the cacos and arachs was best handled, imo, by hitting the teleporter, running to the right, past the chaingunner, grabbing at least a backpack as well as the plasma gun, armor, and all ammo, then running back to the find the chaingunner who seems to always prefer to smoke a before-death blunt with the arch-viles, grabbing any ammo on the way. Break out the plasma gun, clear the room, then cower in fear for the next 2 or 3 minutes because you physically cannot get out the door. After most of the cacos filter in and die, you can't really see the arachs through the dead bodies. Still, RL it up and clear a path, take out the plasma gun again and hunt down any and all arachs before dispatching the remaining cacos.

Trying that strategy, the fight was fairly easy and felt far less cheap than running back to the start.

I got stuck on the yellow key, like scifista mentioned, it is possible to jump straight in. I alerted the mancubus by accident, then knowing he was on the left, I jumped right and got stuck.
Spoiler

I finished the map with a fuckload of bullets and shells, used my last rockets and cells on the yellow key trap. Had like 45 health, no armor, figured itd be a desperate madman's last stand. Wound up with one shotgunner left after cells and rockets were gone. Thought I was f*cked for the rest of the map. Also thought at that exact moment that the shotgunner would get me, because Murphy's Law and all that. The red key was a wtf moment. But it messed with my head, so it was cool. Was so apprehensive about those last 4 enemies, haha.

All in all, fun map to play. Slightly under 20 minutes for my complete run.

Also, the bottle-neck stairs were barley noticable to me. I only saw the problem arise my first run when the first wave of revs freaked me out and I ran down the stairs, then stood confused by their behavior til I ate a rocket. The only other time I saw it as a problem was when the revs and HK's teleport to the starting area, and there are the archviles and PE's near that first wave of revs. Those revs and HK's got stuck, but if not for that I would have been totally screwed.

Great map man!