Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Official Tutorial Request Thread

9 hours ago, Tingsing said:

I would like to see a tutorial on making a large, open area (maybe a "platforming" section) inaccessible to rocket jumping, any ideas I come up with seem to have a work around to shortcut through the level or through a section.

Cover any doorway that the player might rocket jump to with a 1-unit-thick sector with the floor at the ceiling. Make that obstacle disappear when the player gets to the doorway legitimately.

I have used that trick myself. A player rocket jumps to what looks like a door, but it won't open because it isn't a door. Later, when the player uses a switch to raise stairs to the door the fake door goes away too, revealing the real door.

EDIT: I totally forgot that I wrote this post and am not happy with what the excessive demands that I made here... So I'm removing what I originally posted here and apologize for the extreme stupidity the original post contained.

If you didn't see the original post it was just a list of topics my sleep-deprived brain thought should be in the tutorial section, and it was long and unnecessary. I've since learned that the zdoom wiki more or less covered that entire list.

Edited by Skeletonpatch

@StevenC21 what exactly do you need to know about whacked friend? i'm considering doing a little tutorial on it in the future and i'd like to know exactly what to touch on friend

@bonnie Well, I don't know much of anything because I couldn't really find much at all. I think starting with the basics, working up to replacing whole monsters, beginning with sprite replacement would be good. That is the No. 1 thing that I cannot even begin to figure out.

Just now, StevenC21 said:

@bonnie Well, I don't know much of anything because I couldn't really find much at all. I think starting with the basics, working up to replacing whole monsters, beginning with sprite replacement would be good. That is the No. 1 thing that I cannot even begin to figure out.

Sprite replacement is the number 1 thing you can't figure out? If so, that falls on both SLADE3 and WhackEd, as SLADE3 would be used for replacing specific sprites entirely, while WhackEd can be used to swap out sprites for specific frames. What exactly did you mean?

As for not knowing much of anything, I know that feeling. I'm actually 100% self-taught in DEHACKED, so I probably don't know everything, but I've learned quite a bit just from... well, messing around. I'm capable of at least doing the simple stuff like changing flags, messages, and stats as well as the more complex things such as replacing monsters and weapons. I'm also aware of a lot of the limitations of DEHACKED, but even so, I don't even know what I don't know. I'll try my best with the tutorial though friend.

@bonnie Yes, I mean replacing sprites within an individual frame, and then doing that for each frame in a monster. Why would I do this instead of Decorate? Because I know how to do it in Decorate (sorta), so I now wish to learn how to do it in other software, to broaden my view.

I know this thread has been dormant for 9 months now but can someone make a ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) tutorial? I really want to learn how to make maps in that format and its features.

Hexen format has been obsoleted by UDMF, so you might want to look straight into that instead. Everything possible in Hexen format is also possible in UDMF, some things are easier to do in UDMF than in Hexen format, and some things can only be done in UDMF and not in Hexen format.

20 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Hexen format has been obsoleted by UDMF, so you might want to look straight into that instead. Everything possible in Hexen format is also possible in UDMF, some things are easier to do in UDMF than in Hexen format, and some things can only be done in UDMF and not in Hexen format.

Is there a good tutorial for UDMF then? I tried learning the format months ago but it was confusing.

Was looking for grass shader tutorial, and didn't find. I've made one myself just now.

Edited by Teder

Can i get a in depth tutorial on how to replace DECORATE and sprites for mods and mixmatch them?

I am trying to replace the pistol in Brutal Doom v21 with the pistol from BD black edition not only the sprites but also the way it funtions...

So can i get a in depth tutorial because i dont even know the ABCs of Editing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Saad356

On 11/21/2018 at 8:09 AM, Saad356 said:

Can i get a in depth tutorial on how to replace DECORATE and sprites for mods and mixmatch them?

I am trying to replace the pistol in Brutal Doom v21 with the pistol from BD black edition not only the sprites but also the way it funtions...

So can i get a in depth tutorial because i dont even know the ABCs of Editing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Saad356

You can follow this and apply the same principles to what you want to do: http://gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-make-your-first-basic.html

Follow WildWeasel's tutorials along with the info I gave you in your thread and you should be able to do it no problem.

Could somebody make a step by step tutorial about using wavefront obj for GZDOOM.

Something like OBJ for Dummies.

How to export from GZDoom, manipulate with Blender and import back into GZDoom.

So, IDK if this is the place to explain. but i'm wondering if there's a way to make it so that if you kill the cyber demon, a door will open up and the exit will be revealed, or that if you kill him, you will beat the level. I use Doom builder 2 as my map makerimage.png.3303b968963358c4e54bd3ee6bca309a.png

I was also wondering something (Which I may or not implement right now on my maps)

Well, they are many things.

1.- How can I make an Hazard? Can it be done through Actions and Sector Tags or is it solely through ACS?

2.- What's the way to make many levels on a single WAD?

3.- How can I change texts on say, instead of "You need a Yellow Key" something like "A Yellow Card is required!"?

4.- What's the way to add Secrets?

I'm more interested in the first and last ones. :p

I'm using GZDooM Builder

(While I can ask this on my thread, I think it's okay to ask here too? :p)

3 hours ago, Archanhell said:

1. How can I make an Hazard? Can it be done through Actions and Sector Tags or is it solely through ACS?

When you said Hazard, do you mean damage floors? If so, then you have to select a sector with Sector mode and then choose the special at the Effect and Identification section, all the available effects should be written when you click the little icon on the right. (4, 5, 7, and 11 are the damage floor effects but it might be different from what format you're working on.)

4 hours ago, Archanhell said:

2. What's the way to make many levels on a single WAD?

To make another map on a single wad, you need to create another map in GZDOOM Builder but this time you have to change the level name to MAP02-32 depending o where you are now then save it to the wad you're currently working on.

3. How can I change texts on say, instead of "You need a Yellow Key" something like "A Yellow Card is required!"?

I don't know about this one but I think it has something to do with SLADE. In case that you don't know about it, it's a program that let's you put custom content like textures, music etc. on Doom WADs. You should make a thread at the Doom Editing forums about it, the guys there might help you out.

4. What's the way to add Secrets?

Select the sector that you want to be the secret in Sector Mode then choose the special 9 at the Effect and Identification section.

9 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

When you said Hazard, do you mean damage floors? If so, then you have to select a sector with Sector mode and then choose the special at the Effect and Identification section, all the available effects should be written when you click the little icon on the right. (4, 5, 7, and 11 are the damage floor effects but it might be different from what format you're working on.)

To make another map on a single wad, you need to create another map in GZDOOM Builder but this time you have to change the level name to MAP02-32 depending o where you are now then save it to the wad you're currently working on.

I don't know about this one but I think it has something to do with SLADE. In case that you don't know about it, it's a program that let's you put custom content like textures, music etc. on Doom WADs. You should make a thread at the Doom Editing forums about it, the guys there might help you out.

Select the sector that you want to be the secret in Sector Mode then choose the special 9 at the Effect and Identification section.

Thank you very much for the help!

Though Hazards were harder to do lol

And yup, I have heard about SLADE but seems too complex to me that I decided to not use it for now :p

17 minutes ago, elend said:

Keep it simple, take it slow! Steady does it. :D

Alrighty! Slow and simple!

Is there any kind of text Doombuilder 2 guide? I've only found a DB 1 pdf, and would definitely love to get my hands on a more updated guide.

Also, is it one request per comment? /s

Is there a wiki or something that lists the various DB2 actions that you can apply to linedefs in and descriptions of what they do? Pic related to show what I mean.image.png.a39467715c32c67bc39ff1643c06ef17.png

@Nymbus_Hustle Also, if you click on the button with a picture of a menu window to the right of the drop-down menu, a menu window pops up with all the actions labeled and in categories, making it easy to find the action you want.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, Boomslang said:

So, IDK if this is the place to explain. but i'm wondering if there's a way to make it so that if you kill the cyber demon, a door will open up and the exit will be revealed, or that if you kill him, you will beat the level.

are you using the old Doom Builder 2, or GZDoom Builder Bugfix? I would recommend the latter!

to answer your question... basically there are 3 different mapping formats. Doom, Hexen, and UDMF. you can make Doom maps in any of those 3 formats (this is why, when creating a map in Doom Builder, you'll see different configurations like "Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format)" or "Doom: Doom 2 (UDMF Format)." Hexen format is outdated and really shouldn't be used, because UDMF does everything Hexen format does, and more.

in Doom format, when you place Things (monsters, pickups, etc.), you cannot assign "actions" or special IDs to those things. however, in UDMF format, you can. so to do what you're asking, you would want to add an action to the Cyberdemon. adding an action to a monster means that, upon the monster's death, whatever action you specify will take place. take a look at this example photo:

t8WMz5L.png

in this example, when this Cyberdemon is killed, the door with sector tag 5 will open with a movement speed of 64. you can change this action to be whatever you want, doesn't have to be door open. it can be lower a floor, lower a lift, close a door, etc.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:15 PM, Archanhell said:

3.- How can I change texts on say, instead of "You need a Yellow Key" something like "A Yellow Card is required!"? 

if you are targeting ZDoom, this is done via the LANGUAGE lump. here's an example from one of my mods where I replaced all the key usage strings:

Spoiler

// ** KEY USAGE **
PD_BLUEC = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDC = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWC = "\ckYellow \cckey required";
PD_BLUES = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \ccskull required";
PD_REDS = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \ccskull required";
PD_YELLOWS = "\ckYellow \ccskull required";
PD_ANY = "\ccAny key required";
PD_ANYOBJ = "\ccAny key required";
PD_ALL3 = "\ccAll 3 keys required";
PD_ALL3O = "\ccAll 3 keys required";
PD_ALL6 = "\ccAll 6 keys required";
PD_ALL6O = "\ccAll 6 keys required";
PD_ALLKEYS = "\ccAll keys required";

// any key (card or skull), for doors, then objects
PD_BLUEO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWO = "\ckYellow \cckey required";
PD_BLUEK = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDK = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWK = "\ckYellow \cckey required";

// cards then skulls, for objects
PD_BLUECO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cccard required";
PD_REDCO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cccard required";
PD_YELLOWCO = "\ckYellow \cccard required";
PD_BLUESO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \ccskull required";
PD_REDSO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \ccskull required";
PD_YELLOWSO = "\ckYellow \ccskull required";

note that anywhere you see a color string like "TangoBlue", that's a custom color that only exists in my wad, so you'd want to either strip out all the color specifications from these strings entirely, or replace my custom color names with default, built in ones. more info on text colors is available here

however, I think if you want to do it in vanilla/boom, you have to use dehacked. I'm not sure how to do it in dehacked off the top of my head D: you might be able to find an example of doing it in dehacked if you peek at an old TC or something. actually I just took a quick peek at the .deh file for D2XGold, and here's how they replace the pickup text in that wad:

Spoiler

Text 43 42
You need a blue key to activate this objectBlue Key needed                           

Text 42 40
You need a red key to activate this objectRed Key Needed                          

Text 45 44
You need a yellow key to activate this objectYellow key needed                           

Text 37 39
You need a blue key to open this doorBlue key needed                        

Text 39 37
You need a yellow key to open this doorYellow key needed                    

Text 36 38
You need a red key to open this doorRed key needed      

WhackEd4 might also have an interface for doing these pickup message replacements, but it's been a few years since I used the program, so I'm not certain D:

if you need help figuring out where to put this text in your wad, in either case, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Guest Unregistered account

How do I add flats in a Vanilla-compatible WAD? I know it's something to do with using "F_" instead of "FF_" markers but I'm not sure and I recall permanently screwing a WAD in the past from trying to.

EDIT: nvm, found it on the DoomWiki lol

10 hours ago, Tango said:

are you using the old Doom Builder 2, or GZDoom Builder Bugfix? I would recommend the latter!

to answer your question... basically there are 3 different mapping formats. Doom, Hexen, and UDMF. you can make Doom maps in any of those 3 formats (this is why, when creating a map in Doom Builder, you'll see different configurations like "Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format)" or "Doom: Doom 2 (UDMF Format)." Hexen format is outdated and really shouldn't be used, because UDMF does everything Hexen format does, and more.

in Doom format, when you place Things (monsters, pickups, etc.), you cannot assign "actions" or special IDs to those things. however, in UDMF format, you can. so to do what you're asking, you would want to add an action to the Cyberdemon. adding an action to a monster means that, upon the monster's death, whatever action you specify will take place. take a look at this example photo:

t8WMz5L.png

in this example, when this Cyberdemon is killed, the door with sector tag 5 will open with a movement speed of 64. you can change this action to be whatever you want, doesn't have to be door open. it can be lower a floor, lower a lift, close a door, etc.

if you are targeting ZDoom, this is done via the LANGUAGE lump. here's an example from one of my mods where I replaced all the key usage strings:

Hide contents

// ** KEY USAGE **
PD_BLUEC = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDC = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWC = "\ckYellow \cckey required";
PD_BLUES = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \ccskull required";
PD_REDS = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \ccskull required";
PD_YELLOWS = "\ckYellow \ccskull required";
PD_ANY = "\ccAny key required";
PD_ANYOBJ = "\ccAny key required";
PD_ALL3 = "\ccAll 3 keys required";
PD_ALL3O = "\ccAll 3 keys required";
PD_ALL6 = "\ccAll 6 keys required";
PD_ALL6O = "\ccAll 6 keys required";
PD_ALLKEYS = "\ccAll keys required";

// any key (card or skull), for doors, then objects
PD_BLUEO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWO = "\ckYellow \cckey required";
PD_BLUEK = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cckey required";
PD_REDK = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cckey required";
PD_YELLOWK = "\ckYellow \cckey required";

// cards then skulls, for objects
PD_BLUECO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \cccard required";
PD_REDCO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \cccard required";
PD_YELLOWCO = "\ckYellow \cccard required";
PD_BLUESO = "\c[TangoBlue]Blue \ccskull required";
PD_REDSO = "\c[TangoRedLight]Red \ccskull required";
PD_YELLOWSO = "\ckYellow \ccskull required";

note that anywhere you see a color string like "TangoBlue", that's a custom color that only exists in my wad, so you'd want to either strip out all the color specifications from these strings entirely, or replace my custom color names with default, built in ones. more info on text colors is available here

however, I think if you want to do it in vanilla/boom, you have to use dehacked. I'm not sure how to do it in dehacked off the top of my head D: you might be able to find an example of doing it in dehacked if you peek at an old TC or something. actually I just took a quick peek at the .deh file for D2XGold, and here's how they replace the pickup text in that wad:

Hide contents

Text 43 42
You need a blue key to activate this objectBlue Key needed                           

Text 42 40
You need a red key to activate this objectRed Key Needed                          

Text 45 44
You need a yellow key to activate this objectYellow key needed                           

Text 37 39
You need a blue key to open this doorBlue key needed                        

Text 39 37
You need a yellow key to open this doorYellow key needed                    

Text 36 38
You need a red key to open this doorRed key needed      

WhackEd4 might also have an interface for doing these pickup message replacements, but it's been a few years since I used the program, so I'm not certain D:

if you need help figuring out where to put this text in your wad, in either case, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

I kind of forgot how that question I made heh! Thank you very much kind sir.

The same thing goes if I want to change the secrets message, sound, etc? :p