Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Official Tutorial Request Thread

8 hours ago, Archanhell said:

The same thing goes if I want to change the secrets message, sound, etc? :p

yeah I think so! usually to find the string in LANGUAGE to replace, I look at the LANGUAGE lump inside gzdoom.pk3, which comes with GZDoom. in 4.0 the way language stuff is handled was changed, so it's a lot harder to look up now. instead of being able to look inside the LANGUAGE lump and see a nicely formatted list in English, there's now a language.csv file that has a bunch of translations for every string, and it's not very readable since it's a csv. however, I think with some digging, you can still find the right thing to replace. for example, if I search for "secret is revealed" inside language.csv, I find the line that contains all the translations for the secret text, and on that line I see the allcaps name of the string, which appears to be SECRETMESSAGE. so then in your language lump, you would do something like:

SECRETMESSAGE = "Good job finding this secret mate, you're a real detective";

replacing the secret sound might be done via the GAMEINFO section of MAPINFO though, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it around in the ZDoom wiki somewhere before!

I'd like to see a Photoshop tutorial on making a semicircular brick arch from existing brick textures.

2 hours ago, Tango said:

yeah I think so! usually to find the string in LANGUAGE to replace, I look at the LANGUAGE lump inside gzdoom.pk3, which comes with GZDoom. in 4.0 the way language stuff is handled was changed, so it's a lot harder to look up now. instead of being able to look inside the LANGUAGE lump and see a nicely formatted list in English, there's now a language.csv file that has a bunch of translations for every string, and it's not very readable since it's a csv. however, I think with some digging, you can still find the right thing to replace. for example, if I search for "secret is revealed" inside language.csv, I find the line that contains all the translations for the secret text, and on that line I see the allcaps name of the string, which appears to be SECRETMESSAGE. so then in your language lump, you would do something like:

SECRETMESSAGE = "Good job finding this secret mate, you're a real detective";

replacing the secret sound might be done via the GAMEINFO section of MAPINFO though, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it around in the ZDoom wiki somewhere before!

Editing the LANGUAGE Lump is something I could try for a future project, where I may even change the colours and such of certain messages, so go way more advanced.

How can I make this lump? I could keep it for the future, like write it down on a notepad maybe :p

10 hours ago, Archanhell said:

How can I make this lump? I could keep it for the future, like write it down on a notepad maybe :p

here's how you do it in SLADE:

- open or create a new wad or zip (pk3) archive

- at the top, click Archive -> New Entry

- name the entry LANGUAGE

- in the file explorer for the archive, click on the LANGUAGE entry you just created, and click the "View as text" button in the top left of the Entry Contents area

- now add all your LANGUAGE stuff in here! just make sure that you follow the proper format that I showed above! you can have as many lines/strings replaced or added here as you want, or as few as you want

49 minutes ago, Tango said:

here's how you do it in SLADE:

- open or create a new wad or zip (pk3) archive

- at the top, click Archive -> New Entry

- name the entry LANGUAGE

- in the file explorer for the archive, click on the LANGUAGE entry you just created, and click the "View as text" button in the top left of the Entry Contents area

- now add all your LANGUAGE stuff in here! just make sure that you follow the proper format that I showed above! you can have as many lines/strings replaced or added here as you want, or as few as you want

Alrighty, tyvm! I'll be sure to use this on my next project, because right now well I'm too advanced to use it, or maybe I can? heh

I'd like to know how i can put my own Custom Fonts without the Doomcrap pack.