Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFlibble

Weapon graphics discussion

I think that the answer lies in another Doom game that had a unique aesthetic, yet can still fit side-by-side with vanilla Doom assets.

Doom 64 had a different style of glove that had a strap on the back of the wrist and the material looked thicker.

As long as the colour is the same and it's still identifiably a normal glove, it'll fit fine while leaving room for unique elements.

I've been browsing the galleries of Realm667's website and stumbled upon this weapon by Eriance:

Perhaps it could be used as the SKAG1337? It appears to have been made from scratch, and although it is called BFG10k it does not resemble its namesakes from Quake games.

It does seem to have been inspired by the BFG from the movie though, but it is not 100% identical. Then again, the Freedoom guy's appearance references Karl Urban.

funduke said:

The super shotgun appears to be broken. There is space between the weapon and the screen border. I tried latest zdoom and freedoom2 builds.
Greetings
Funduke

The fiering frames of the super shotgun are still messed up in the latest build. Would anybody please fix it?

Greetings
Funduke

I feel like, should the team decide assets be put in for the Skulltag weapons, that should be for the equivalent of the BFG10,000 like it was in Skulltag, since its the only one of the four weapons that has completely original sprites that can be reused for the exact same purpose. (I may be mistake though and one of the others has original sprites too.)

Freedoom only supports the original gameplay logic, not extra stuff that source ports added. Besides, Skulltag is officially dead.

I've created a variant that is grey and blue instead of olive green and bright green.

In regards to the SSG, I've created a scaled version that I haven't uploaded yet.

Doctor Nick said:

FreeDoom should strive to have its own identity.

while i agree with this sentiment its much easier said than done, making weapon sprites from scratch in particular is much tougher than making monster sprites or textures

raymoohawk said:

while i agree with this sentiment its much easier said than done, making weapon sprites from scratch in particular is much tougher than making monster sprites or textures

I realize, but in this particular case, we already have perfectly good, distinct BFG graphics, and we should use those.

raymoohawk said:

making weapon sprites from scratch in particular is much tougher than making monster sprites

I thought it was the opposite. Monsters have lots of frames with complex animation, even though they're usually much smaller.

i guess it varies from person to person, but at least on my experience weapon aprites are challenging due to the much higher amout of detail they require and difficult perspective. also monsters and textures are low res enough that you can hide drawing/painting weakness more easely (except when it comes to gibs XD)

I dont know why, but the chaingun from Freedoom reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D's chaingun...

Sodaholic said:

I've created a variant that is grey and blue instead of olive green and bright green.

This is great, thanks!

Doctor Nick said:

I think that the BF10k should be left alone. It's been used before in different mods, including skulltag, and it's pretty recognizable. FreeDoom should strive to have its own identity.

This argument certainly has merit. However, it automatically applies to the other weapon sprites created by Eriance as well, which have been used in various mods and also exist as a "cosmetic enhancement" add-on for Doom.

At least, the BFG 10k is something different from simply a reimagined version of the original BFG.

I for one think making sprites for the Skulltag stuff is reduntant. One of the main reasons we need to make sprites for these free iwad projects is because we need to replace the licensed stuff. The sprites for the skulltag weapons and actors on the other hand already come with the sourceport for free.

It is, and I mentioned that above:

MrFlibble said:

It does seem to have been inspired by the BFG from the movie though, but it is not 100% identical. Then again, the Freedoom guy's appearance references Karl Urban.

I'm hoping that this should not be an issue from a legal standpoint.

SuperSomariDX said:

Isn't the Skulltag BFG10k like.. Based on the one from the Doom Movie anyway?

the pickup sprite is too close to the movie, but the hud sprite is very defferent imo

this thread has pics of the movie version

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=60825

i still think we should keep the current bfg tho, since this one doesnt animate in recoil when shot

It was brought to my attention that 0.4 had weapon sprites that were much better than the ones they were replaced with.

http://imgur.com/a/uxHDZ

Aside from the SSG being angled, what was the problem exactly? Something copyright-related?

[edit]

Okay, not much better, upon a closer look. But the old rocket launcher was certainly less of a blurry noisy abomination.

My rocket launcher is a blurry and noisy abomination? That criticism would apply better to the brown one it replaced.

I'd rather not have angled weapons, as cool as those ones look.

Still loved that angled SSG though. Honestly was one of the better replacements. Makes me wonder what a centered one would look like however.

Da Werecat said:

Okay, not much better, upon a closer look. But the old rocket launcher was certainly less of a blurry noisy abomination.

IIRC both versions of the rocket launcher were made by fredrik. I should confess that I actually like the brown one BTW.

The angled SSG was created by Scuba Steve. It was initially intended for another project and recycled for Freedoom. Some felt that it did not fit the style of other weapons for this reason, and it got removed with other angled weapons.

All weapons were replaced with centred ones at some point in development. I think some thread here mentions how fredrik (or someone else) was working on a centred version of Scuba Steve's SSG, but I think it was never completed. Not sure though. It doesn't seem to be in the files anyway. There's some discussion here but I believe it's mostly about fredrik's version that got replaced with Eriance's recently/