Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

WADS that use the Monster Spawner in a non-boss context

I'm looking for any wads that have monster spawners but not necessarily in a Map30 like matter - you have to play the level as if it's a normal level except that monsters get spawned throughout the level. I'm thinking of levels such as Map30 in the tune up project megawad, map29 of stomper, and map22 of dark tartarus.

MAP 32 of Hell Revealed does... something quite interesting with this. Of course, you're probably aware that monsters cannot telefrag outside of the MAP30 slot, which is likely to cause some problems as they'll often get stuck.

Budoka said:

MAP 32 of Hell Revealed does... something quite interesting with this. Of course, you're probably aware that monsters cannot telefrag outside of the MAP30 slot, which is likely to cause some problems as they'll often get stuck.

i think monsters actually can in non-vanilla ports. i know this is a fact in ZDoom and i believe it also is in PrBoom plus.

It's a custom option in PrBoom+. At any rate, as far as Hell Revealed is concerned, that WAD is in vanilla format, which is necessary for some tricks to occur properly ( e.g. MAP19, MAP26).

Hadephobia MAP20 - Ostoyae Anomaly. The purpose is to kill all the captured Hadephobia sufferers while the level fills up with demon spawn.

purist said:

Hadephobia MAP20 - Ostoyae Anomaly. The purpose is to kill all the captured Hadephobia sufferers while the level fills up with demon spawn.

What I instantly thought of when reading the thread title

I think Map 30 of Perdition's Gate counts here. There's a monster spawner in it, but you don't have to face an icon, just two cybers and an archvile.

purist said:

i remember talking about that map back in the day when the project was released. my favorite map in the wad without a doubt.

I've been messing around with the concept of a Map15/Map31 IoS battle amidst a sprawling non-linear map with a clearly suggested but hidden secret exit. I haven't really had the chance to work on it lately though.

abyssal 20 map 19 takes kind of a medium on it. It has spawned monsters warping via teleport (tuneup map30) but entails killing Romero to win the game. It is not an icon battle but is something between the implied dichotomy. Guess it sort of is a boss though ;_;

Try it. Try the whole damn set! [/SHAMELESS PLUG]

TheMionicDonut said:

abyssal 20 map 19 takes kind of a medium on it. It has spawned monsters warping via teleport (tuneup map30) but entails killing Romero to win the game. It is not an icon battle but is something between the implied dichotomy. Guess it sort of is a boss though ;_;

Try it. Try the whole damn set! [/SHAMELESS PLUG]

will try it!

@an_mutt: would love to see such a map. these kinds of maps are kind of rare but i believe they have potential in that they offer a new twist to playing a DOOM level.

One of the maps in Shai'tan's Luck has a monster spawner that sets off right at the beginning. Can't remember if there was an Icon at the end or not, but in any case it's a slaughter map so it's not a boss by any means. (and it's not as bad as it sounds once you figure the map out)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

One of the maps in Shai'tan's Luck has a monster spawner that sets off right at the beginning. Can't remember if there was an Icon at the end or not, but in any case it's a slaughter map so it's not a boss by any means. (and it's not as bad as it sounds once you figure the map out)

if i'm not mistaken that is Map30 which is of the same name. It's a very good map and honestly hope to see more like it hence this thread. I enjoy what the secrets on that map do as well.

EDIT: I've played most of the megawads as well as some of the regular maps but it's a guarantee there's a couple hidden gems out there I missed that are just like it. I'm curious if anyone knows of any other single level or non-megawad mapsets that may have these levels. Thank you to everyone who posted.

Ghostbusters Doom's "Containment Breach" level, where various ghosts keep appearing throughout the building (the Ghostbusters HQ) after being freed from their traps.