Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The-smartest-masterm

DOS computer

I did as a kid. And trust me, you missed nothing worth experiencing. MS-DOS is quite an irritating piece of crap.

Actually, you can get from a completely unbootable system with no OS etc. on it, to playing Doom within 10 minutes, using DOS and installation CD-ROMs, but that's another story.

That's where I played first. Back in 95 on a neighbors PC, and then again in 97 when I got my first home pc. I actually played with no soundcard but with the ps speaker sound effects and a crazy custom DOS menu with Doom, Win 3.1 and a shutdown option lol. My stepdad got it for me and set it up that way which was a pretty cool intro to the PC world. Best days ever. Just built a Pentium III gaming machine to relive these awesome days. More for the BUILD games but obviously Doom as well :)

No, nobody on this forum for a 21-year-old game has ever played it on DOS, the platform it was made for. :)

There's something so charming about Doom on a native DOS machine. The sound setup program, the declaration of the "DOOM Operating System" when it starts up (though IIRC, that was only there for earlier versions of the game?)...and it's less of a pain to get working on your average machine than other games from the same era, like the friggin' Ultima games. Kudos to Carmack and co. for not insisting on creating their own extended memory manager from scratch. =P

I actually remember going through hell to get enough EMS to run Monster Bash back in the day, haha. Doom gave me no such trouble, was one of the easiest things you could run on a computer of that era assuming you resized the screen border for performance's sake.

The oldest PC system I played it on was a 98 if I recall correctly (probably was an ME).

Also, I think I tried playing it on a calculator (or something along those lines) but I believe that it was absolute agony to even try and play from what I remember, I dunno it may have actually been Wolf 3D or it could have been Duke 3D, I can't remember too much about it because I tried it years ago.

TimeOfDeath said:

My winxp computer plays doom.exe fine without dosbox.

...with sound? ;-)

I recall that certain XP setups (especially prior to SP1/2) could really play doom.exe natively, some of them with sound (General MIDI, Soundblaster emulation was choppy).

CyberDemonEmpress said:

Brutal Doom is for kids born in the 2000's.

I was born in 1998 and i like it, Git mad :)

Budoka said:

I did as a kid. And trust me, you missed nothing worth experiencing. MS-DOS is quite an irritating piece of crap.

WHAT?!
How is configuring autoexec.bat's, config.sys's, himem's, IRQ's and channels, maybe a few jumpers, VESA, baud rates, stacker disk compression and several other key factors of PC's primitive past not worth the experience?

Get out of here with your slanderous plug-n-play lifestyle, sir. I say good day.

Bashe said:

No, nobody on this forum for a 21-year-old game has ever played it on DOS, the platform it was made for. :)

I played it on an emulated NeXT Computer.

Superluigieth1 said:

I played it on an emulated NeXT Computer.

That was a crutch to quickly test maps. The DOS version is the holy one.