Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Wad Wishlist

i want a maze wad really complicated with enemies placed in a strategic place and tons of not-letal traps

MisriHalek said:

The Shores of ZDoom.

Dang, I'd still like to see that happen someday also! Despite all the hate it gets I quite enjoyed KdizD....

It's quite funny actually, after you've put your wad list up and someone posts theirs you only then realise how many wads you forgot to include on your personal wishlist. Most of what people said are one's that I want, too, but I also forgot to add to my list a complete version of the Nemesis TC by Justin Fisher. I also love the look of that screen shot of Odium, I have never heard of that wad before.

Obsidian said:

I can do DeHackEd! Soo many ideas....

Two possible issues with editing ReSTRAIN:

1. Permissions
The text file says you have to contact the ADA if you want to use the levels as a base, but it is silent on the textures and dehacked, so it's unclear what if anything can be done with them. It may have been intended that 'levels' meant all aspects of the project (and I doubt the email still works to ask).

A wad that is just new levels and which must be run with strain.wad and strain.deh loaded to work seems like it would definitely be okay, but anything else might be an issue. I mean, it wouldn't worry *me*, but I didn't make the graphics or the dehacked.

2. STRAINiness
Assuming you can change things, what should you change? I'd argue for minimalism myself:

• fix the armor shard bug when your armor is over 200 (since it is a bug)
  • fix the doppleganger's death frame (ditto)
  • add new map names and mission text
  • add a new Strain in place of the baron
  • add a new Strain in place the IoS
  • leave everything else as is

Springy said:

3057 hub 2. Based on what I have played of the original and its beta this would have been fucking brilliant if it was ever planned.

It definitely was planned and probably about halfway into the process. Hub 5, I believe, also had extensive work done. Sadly, the project has been discontinued/dormant since 2005/6 or so. Doom 3: Phobos is its spiritual successor and borrows a lot from 3057.

If I were to come back and create something for classic Doom, it would probably be a single map in the E1 style or something more organic for Doom2. Non Zdoom. 2004 me would probably kill me for saying that :)

On the topic of wishlist and E1 maps, I always had a soft spot for "Shock Em Down" by Steve Robinson. Another one like it from him would be somewhere at the top of my list.

- Doom Vercetti version 1.1 (yeah, really wanna downgrade)
- A version of Grove where I can fucking see
- A doom mod version of Ghoul School
- A zdoom menu system for easily playing the Master Levels

Please oh please, don't use Strain resources for ReStrain. How do I put it mildly? Graphics aren't the strongest part of that TC.

Dehacked work also didn't age very well, I'd say. So it would be better to just make something "in the vein of", but from scratch.

Da Werecat said:

Please oh please, don't use Strain resources for ReStrain. How do I put it mildly? Graphics aren't the strongest part of that TC.

Dehacked work also didn't age very well, I'd say. So it would be better to just make something "in the vein of", but from scratch.

Thank you, I was going to say something similar.

rdwpa said:

– A megawad of hard maps modeled after the aesthetic of Ultimate Doom episodes, but for Doom II.

Looks like this already happened?

T-Rex said:

- Sverre Kvernmo's Cabal megawad

You know, I get urges to complete this, but they're shot down every time by the knowledge that I no longer own the copyrights to four of the maps that would have to go in it - namely my Master Levels contributions... Also, its hard to limit myself to just the original Doom II graphical resources, at least basing Cabal mainly on them, what with all the new cool textures & monsters that have shown up since those days. Any new Cabal stuff would have to fit closely with the existing wads. If I ever did this, I think I'd have to map blindly in DETH or something - Doom Builder's 3D view continuously shapes any new maps I make these days, as I keep sneak peeking on how they're progressing. Originally making Cabal I could work for hours without knowing what the 2D layouts would look like in first person mode.

Thanks btw.

EDIT:
Forgot to answer the question in the thread again!

Since he's stated he wanted to make another Doom after Doom II, the number one new Doom wad I'd like to see would be "John Romero's Doom III", sporting at least some maps made by JR using the original and/or limit-removed engines, also featuring maps by some of the more popular contemporary wad authors.

Soundblock said:

You know, I get urges to complete this, but they're shot down every time by the knowledge that I no longer own the copyrights to four of the maps that would have to go in it - namely my Master Levels contributions... Also, its hard to limit myself to just the original Doom II graphical resources, at least basing Cabal mainly on them, what with all the new cool textures & monsters that have shown up since those days. Any new Cabal stuff would have to fit closely with the existing wads. If I ever did this, I think I'd have to map blindly in DETH or something - Doom Builder's 3D view continuously shapes any new maps I make these days, as I keep sneak peeking on how they're progressing. Originally making Cabal I could work for hours without knowing what the 2D layouts would look like in first person mode.

That's too bad. I had fun playing through your Master Levels contributions, and your freeware Cabal maps were just as awesome. Still, there's at least the completion of Eternal Doom IV to look forward. Would be awesome if you were to make some maps for it, considering that your contributions to Eternal Doom were epic.

Da Werecat said:

Please oh please, don't use Strain resources for ReStrain.

If I was to lead the project I'd probably hold a poll to see what people think we should do, as there are those (Capellan, purist) that want as similar as an experience as possible while others (like you and Obsidian) want a STRAIN-like megawad. It may end up coming down to a mix (original STRAIN fixed with a few additional tweaks) which is my preference.

I don't mind either way but if you're going to change the resources (beyond minor fixes like Capellan said) just don't use the STRAIN name.

purist said:

I don't mind either way but if you're going to change the resources (beyond minor fixes like Capellan said) just don't use the STRAIN name.

No surprise from the guy calling himself "purist". :D

^

"Achievement unlocked: Killed your first zombieman!"
"Achievement unlocked: First level finished!"
"Achievement unlocked: All levels finished with 100% kills!"

Please no. I can judge for myself what's truly fun and rewarding in the game I play. Arbitrary messages are not, and keeping track of my "objectively measured successes" also is not. In my view, that is.

T-Rex said:

contributions to Eternal Doom were epic.

Standing firmly on the shoulders of giants. I don't feel the urge to make any more ED stuff personally though, and haven't for quite some years. Its been fun to watch how the train kept rolling with that one.

All I'm asking for is an achievement for firing 10 billion bullets FROM THE PISTOL. And make this unlock the Super Shotgun AND YOU CAN'T USE IT UNTIL YOU DO THIS INTERESTING TASK.