Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Wad Wishlist

i think that MM, MM2, and requiem have enough distinguishing character that any talented group of authors could sit down and try to clone it. buuuuut one of my thought dreams was a tribute to that sort of ornate, trap-laden style of The Innocent Crew and Matthias Worch, which i have in my head as the "germanic" school. or something.

Greenwar3 - Layouts more freeflowing and lacking of snags like the original, texturing and beauty more like the 2nd. Would be the best of both worlds.

kmxexii said:

i think that MM, MM2, and requiem have enough distinguishing character that any talented group of authors could sit down and try to clone it. buuuuut one of my thought dreams was a tribute to that sort of ornate, trap-laden style of The Innocent Crew and Matthias Worch, which i have in my head as the "germanic" school. or something.

Dave the Daring should make MM3D!

pcorf said:

- More classic-style episodes (? the way it did, etc, stock textures, no new music)

These are still my favorite kinds of wads. I don't know what it is; if it's a nostalgia thing or what; but well designed maps that look like they were made in 1994 are just the most satisfying and enjoyable wads for me to play. For me its Doom the way it was meant to be. I think it has more to do with merits of wads themselves than nostalgia: simply designed wads are easier to build more interesting gameplay mechanics vs. wads with lots of architectural detail, which often end up just being basic corridors and rooms when stripped of all their glorious trimmings. Also, the graphically elaborate wads are often less abstract and more uniform in design, which for me can become uninteresting after awhile, whereas the 1994 flavor can evoke lots of different moods and styles with few resources and are unencumbered to implement lots of interesting gameplay mechanics and architectural styles. I have some ideas for a new project that I may propose at some point. I was quite inspired, recently, by Rage 2.0.

pcorf said:

- More classic-style episodes (? the way it did, etc, stock textures, no new music)

Hellbent said:

These are still my favorite kinds of wads. I don't know what it is; if it's a nostalgia thing or what; but well designed maps that look like they were made in 1994 are just the most satisfying and enjoyable wads for me to play. For me its Doom the way it was meant to be. I think it has more to do with merits of wads themselves than nostalgia: simply designed wads are easier to build more interesting gameplay mechanics vs. wads with lots of architectural detail, which often end up just being basic corridors and rooms when stripped of all their glorious trimmings. Also, the graphically elaborate wads are often less abstract and more uniform in design, which for me can become uninteresting after awhile, whereas the 1994 flavor can evoke lots of different moods and styles with few resources and are unencumbered to implement lots of interesting gameplay mechanics and architectural styles. I have some ideas for a new project that I may propose at some point. I was quite inspired, recently, by Rage 2.0.

Quoted all of this because it's perfect... minus the Rage 2.0 reference.. of which I am clueless.

I'd also like to make a mini-megawad for a personal project, but in the vein of all that stuff you just said... feeling like it came from '94. :)

My biggest wish is that darkwave0000 went on and made a megawad, just like Joshy did with Resurgence. I believe/fear that might be the only way I´d get enough inspiration to get back into Doom and mapping again.

Never knew you'd be greatly influenced by darkwave0000, darkreaver. I thought you'd take more from the likes of Anders Johnsen, Kim Malde, Martin Hunsager and Chrozoron. :P

I'd like to see a well done atmospheric linear-ish Doom wad, where you're a hardboiled cop fighting demons. And I'd like a solid gold toilet. And hire the Max Payne voice actor if you can.

"Walk away, don't fistfight this baron, that would be the smart thing to do. Guess I wasn't that smart."

A sequel to Heretic in the Doom engine that's not a Tomb Raider type game would be pretty cool. I like the Hexen/Heretic universe but I don't like having to search through Doom Wiki posts for 2 hours just to get through it, so Heretic is a good balance.

TNT2/Revilution
Plutonia 3
Alien Vendetta 2
Final Doom The Way id Did
Kama Sutra 2
Finished Sunder
More maps by Memfis
Finished Curse of Blood

A wad that takes place in Japan, something that can scare me for real.
Action Doom 3, a Spider-Man Tc, since there's a Batman Tc, why not a Spider-Man one?
The City of Damned 3 and a wad where you play as a skeleton.

I'd like a mapset where you're constantly drained of health and have to run your own path to the exit while collecting more health along the way in a non-linear level. Where you could be trying to run across a ledge as fast and gracefully as possible so you don't fall and if you do you can just go on one of the other paths down where you dropped and maybe make it back up top again as you're constantly running forward avoiding certain obstacles and maybe some precision quick switch hitting and shooting. Also follow trails of buff health bonuses here and there like Sonic for directional aid :P

T-Rex said:

Never knew you'd be greatly influenced by darkwave0000, darkreaver. I thought you'd take more from the likes of Anders Johnsen, Kim Malde, Martin Hunsager and Chrozoron. :P

Those too, but I have many maps in that style, I need something to inspire me further for new ideas =)

Ribbiks: maybe the darkness of winter will take me back to Doom-land :P

Ah, why not. Roughly in order of how much I wish for them:

• completed Sunder, obviously
  • Kama Sutra 2 (gusta pls)
  • completed Scythe X
  • completed Kuchitsu (the slightly cutesy green-themed Memfis wad)
Invented stuff:
  • Speed of Doom 2
  • a faithful tribute to HR2 (maybe minus the irritating metal poles everywhere. idk there's just something I really like about how HR2 combines sadistic gameplay with rubbish visuals)
  • a classic-styled vanilla Hexen mapset with at least 5 hubs (please)
  • a project like Doom64 (IE, a set of new maps that replaces all graphics/sounds with new ones (which would depict the same things, but perhaps in a slightly different style), so that you can kinda experience playing Doom with fresh eyes. I just have really fond memories of playing Doom64 for the first time, okay)
  • more maps that emphasise atmosphere/exploration over gameplay without falling into the same old "look at this epic castle" atmosphere that everyone does. Why do all "atmospheric" maps have to be Epic Ruins™ or Creepy Abandoned Base™? Where are the rainsoaked urban wastelands? South American rainforests? Portuguese harbours? Stables, bakeries, kitchen gardens, arboretums... There's more to the human experience than violence and implications of violence.
  • more puzzle maps
  • ...for BTSX not to finish after the 3rd episode
Oh, also, I'm really surprised and touched that a couple of people mentioned my project. I'll try to make something that doesn't suck, I guess :0)

Grain of Salt said:

completed Kuchitsu

I think I can safely say that this will never happen heh. I don't even want to think about the wad anymore. The ridiculous undeserved award left a bad taste in my mouth, I felt almost insulted. I know they didn't mean it like that but it just felt too much like a sick joke. So you can abandon all hope, etc.

Memfis said:

The ridiculous undeserved award left a bad taste in my mouth, I felt almost insulted.

Admit it, you're simply a good mapper! :D

Seriously (IMO), Kuchitsu had clean and elegant style and good atmosphere and no apparent flaws at all. The award definitely wasn't undeserved.

Memfis said:

I think I can safely say that this will never happen heh. I don't even want to think about the wad anymore. The ridiculous undeserved award left a bad taste in my mouth, I felt almost insulted. I know they didn't mean it like that but it just felt too much like a sick joke. So you can abandon all hope, etc.

Why are you acting negative because of that? Kuchitsu was regarded as one of your best works.