Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

facelessdoomer said:

I'm not hearing any music in the gameplay reveal video.

There best be some kickass heavy metal throughout the game, otherwise I'll be very upset.

Some John Carpenter style theme would be even bettar.

Soundblock said:

Some John Carpenter style theme would be even bettar.

Just somethin' man, ya know? The game seems really empty without music.

I mean, there is some ambient music in the background, but where's the music that's supposed to pump you up and make you wanna kill demons?

facelessdoomer said:

I'm not hearing any music in the gameplay reveal video.

There best be some kickass heavy metal throughout the game, otherwise I'll be very upset.

Do you honestly think that recycled thrash riffs from the mid 80s would be appropriate for a contemporary shooter?

I don't remember any actual heavy metal in the original Doom. There were some midi riffs that seemed to sample some popular tracks of the day, but I think you're confusing the opening track from PSX Doom for a game's entire soundtrack.

Also, the reveal played to an industrial version of E1M1's music.

Mick Gordon the fella behind The New Order OST is apparently doing the music for doom 4, I think i read that the music is going to be procedural/ context sensitive, that it changes depending on what's currently happening in game. Should be cool?

Clonehunter said:

I don't remember any actual heavy metal in the original Doom...

They're arranged in 12 bars blues progressions, but do you not recall that a number of the tracks are based on Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, etc.?

Based =/= Actual

They were similar, yes. Sampled, even. It can't be denied. But they were just midi tracks, and other than the fact that they sounded like Heavy Metal tracks of the day, the tracks themselves were not Heavy Metal. That's like taking Master of Puppets and playing it on wine glasses filled with different amounts of water and still calling that version a Heavy Metal song.

The Doom tunes/covers/version were rockin' tunes, but I wouldn't classify them as actual metal, even with the progression.

But I suppose we could converse all day about what is what as I find specific labels to be subjective anyways.

In Left 4 Dead, there's very little music, but during tense/desperate moments you'll get these tribal drums kicking in. It would be nice if they applied a similar thing in the new Doom, albeit with more variety.

The old Doom sountrack consisted of a mix of rock n roll and ambient eerie music with a very light sprinkling of metal. e2m1 is a great episode opener, but then eerie stuff like e2m2 or e1m3 much more properly captures the essence of single player DOOM in a dark room at midnight.. More haunting tunes like that, please!

The music in the new Doom reminds me of buzzsaw potatoes or Quake 1's soundtrack. There's also the bit with the hell and the E3 where there was spooky "ooo eee ooo ee" music.

It sounds good so far, and even the "guitar-y" elements have a nice punch to them. However, I've always appreciated Doom's horror leanings and I feel like we're not going to get much in the way of Aubrey Hodges-esque soundscapes.

If there isn't any I'm just going to blast some Marc A. Pullen or something while I play. A lot of the old Doom tunes were certainly metal, even if midi instrumentation was substituted for actual guitar, drums, etc.

I can understand the decision to go a different direction with the music though, it just makes sense. I wouldn't be too put off by some decent ambient music, that would be nice. Just please, please no dubstep wubs.

They seemed to do that in the demo, as the music transitioned from spooky xhoir wailing to grindy drum and bass once the player entered the quarry.

J.C Denton said:

They could do it a la Painkiller : ambient music when it's calm then heavy burst of Metal when fight starts.

I found that this really killed the pacing, because the "metal" was about as boneheaded and non-threatening as the genre gets. There are very few games where the use of metal music actually works in the game's favor.

J.C Denton said:

They could do it a la Painkiller : ambient music when it's calm then heavy burst of Metal when fight starts.

That got so fucking annoying.

It's gonna be like TNO's music, which was awesome.

Though, I wish Trent would work with Id again.

I dunno if a remix would be all that cool.
Look at Duke Nukem Forever; What if they remixed it?

Like, just look around on the Duke sites: It's another Grabbag remix!

What's that supposed to be, like a remix of a remix (of a remix)?
That's like when a dog eats vomit, then vomits the vomit. And what
about the dog that eats the vomited vomit (and also vomits)?

And all those great wads over the years, that's which one is reminiscent
of the original.

I remember wanting DOOM3 to be like the original DOOM music. Then I heard
the voice of reason. For real, like kids who sit at their terminals hoping
for Bobby Prince to return, tying a plastic bag around their head to cut the circulation and oxygen, creating some kind of cheap high, like the sacrament or something. And foaming madly at the mouth, clutching little hand bibles, with the words of the Lord scrawled in them; stories of glories told to wee babes,
instead of little black books carried to teenage sex parties. There is an extra special DM tonight for all those who don't want to "meet that ho anyway".

You know, maybe they will release a folio with Bobby Prince's music in it
if you don't 'get it on' with one of your sister's friends. Like in another
ten years, if you wait. Just bathe in ice water and chant the words of the
Lord 'Abomination of the Lord, begone!' When you think of the condoms
instead of the folio that just might be.

And what if the DOOM movie had been all metal? But then you still need the ice
bath because you know it's sex with your sister's friend!

"Does he really bathe in ice water?"

Yea, don't even visit the real Marine's web site, or enlist at all because
pizza and cookies tastes better than vagina and Afghanistan's sand in your
mouth.

I think NIN's Mr Self Destruct would be pretty cool for a fight that's action-packed and brutal, specially In that QuakeCon picture with the Doomguy and Cyberdemon duking It out In the catacombs of Hell while other Demons attack.

I appreciate that they used the old tune, but in general it's a bit too slow and "dubsteppy" or whatever for my taste. (I know it's probably trance-laser-step or some other subgenre not technically dubstep)

Hopefully this game has some kickass hard music, and good ambient music for atmosphere as well.

PsychoGoatee said:

I appreciate that they used the old tune, but in general it's a bit too slow and "dubsteppy" or whatever for my taste. (I know it's probably trance-laser-step or some other subgenre not technically dubstep)

Hopefully this game has some kickass hard music, and good ambient music for atmosphere as well.

I think Mick Gordon's work on The New Order was pretty amazing, specially the hardcore tracks.
Still, I wish Trent was still working with Id, He would've done a great soundtrack for DOOM.

Though, I think the theme he made for the DOOM Gameplay Trailer Is more faster then the one In the Alpha. It's perfect.

Tritnew said:

Still, I wish Trent was still working with Id, He would've done a great soundtrack for DOOM.

What actually happened between Trent and Id?
I originally heard it was contract stuff, but I've also heard rumors that it was a bad experience, even that he didn't like the direction DOOM 3 was heading, etc.
It was really odd of him to drop out of DOOM 3 like that.

The Civ said:

What actually happened between Trent and Id?
I originally heard it was contract stuff, but I've also heard rumors that it was a bad experience, even that he didn't like the direction DOOM 3 was heading, etc.
It was really odd of him to drop out of DOOM 3 like that.

I think he was just a hired associate for Id I believe, he did work on DOOM 3's sounds but they scrapped them, I think his drummer Chris Vrenna did the theme though, so there's some Nine Inch Nails In there. :V

I dunno, my guess Is that he was probably working on side projects and stuff. Maybe It was the contract. The only thing that really does hurt me Is that he worked on COD: Black Op 2, at least he did the music though. xD;

I listened closely to the music where the Chainsaw was revealed, and It had the At DOOM's Gate remix playing, maybe some tracks from DOOM 1 and 2 will be remixed?