Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

ZDoom or Skulltag ?

Stop mentioning Skulltag, Skulltag is a dead port, its continuation is called Zandronum. ZDoom supports more advanced features, and while Zandronum tries to keep up with it (as development continues), it's still somewhat behind. On the other hand and unlike ZDoom, Zandronum gives you an opportunity to choose between software and OpenGL renderer, has ideal capabilities for multiplayer gaming, and offers bots and various multiplayer modes, accessible even in a "singleplayer" game.

scifista42 said:

Zandronum gives you an opportunity to choose between software and OpenGL renderer, has ideal capabilities for multiplayer gaming, and offers bots and various multiplayer modes, accessible even in a "singleplayer" game.

Go for Zandronum if i want more features ?

scifista42 said:

Stop mentioning Skulltag, Skulltag is a dead port

Really ? Skulltag is not under development anymore?
So why it's still mentioned in zdoom.org ?
Why it's dead anyway ?

The Doommer said:

Go for Zandronum if i want more features ?

No, for ZDoom. Or GZDoom, as their feature sets are practically the same.

Go for Zandronum only if multiplayer is your focus. Its features are very advanced too, just still less than ZDoom's.

Here I'm talking about mapping/modding features from the perspective of a mapper/modder.

scifista42 said:

ZDoom. Or GZDoom

Do they have multiplayer or not ?
I want a source port based on ZDoom (and as powerful as ZDoom) with multiplayer support.

Also , i want to join servers on global internet (i have no friend interesting in dooming)

Then go for Zandronum, surely. Almost as powerful as (G)ZDoom will have to be sufficient for you.

Nobody plays (G)ZDoom multiplayer (even though it's technically possible) because, to quote ZDoom wiki:

Multiplayer:
ZDoom uses UDP/IP for all network play. The game state is tracked on a peer-to-peer system, unlike the csDoom derivatives or Zandronum, which are much better suited to larger-scale games because of their focus on client-server architecture.

Zandronum is simply a lot better suited for multiplayer and specially online gaming.

TheCupboard said:

Play some Doomsday multiplayer yo

Or even Legacy, ZDaemon, or Odamex

He wants the most features and gfx effects and an active online community. That's Zandronum.

GreyGhost said:

Modified IWAD maybe?

No. It's Doom II 1.9 and the same with the one i run in ZDoom.

GreyGhost said:

Generate an MD5 checksum for your IWAD and (assuming Doom2.wad) compare it with these.

How ?
Explain more please...

The Doommer said:

Why they kick me form the server ?

Is this after you successfully connected and were playing for a bit, or could you not even connect?

Sodaholic said:

Is this after you successfully connected and were playing for a bit, or could you not even connect?

I connected , but it usually gave me a 'Connection Interrupted' message and held me until the message disappeared.
After a while , gave me 'Player was kicked from the server. REASON : too many packets' error.
Not sure , but the last error was something like that error message.

It typically means that you have too slow/bad internet connection to maintain sufficiently stable data exchange with the server. The solution is to get yourself a faster internet connection.

If your ping is above 350 this will be a problem regardless of port. Try to look for servers somewhat close to your region. Also make sure you have net-consuming stuff like Steam, netflix, and whatever else disabled.

Doomkid said:

If your ping is above 350 this will be a problem regardless of port. Try to look for servers somewhat close to your region. Also make sure you have net-consuming stuff like Steam, netflix, and whatever else disabled.

That server was close to my region. (not too close but close)

Zandronum is Skulltag's Continuation , Skulltag is no longer playable online Because It's Master servers are dead and it is no longer in active development, Zandronum is basically ZDoom and GZDoom together (Allows switching between Software and OpenGL Renderers) with a better Multiplayer, It's easy to setup and comes with Doomseeker (Just like Skulltag) this should allow you to find the Most easy to reach (Low ping) servers for you .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Zandronum is Skulltag's Continuation , Skulltag is no longer playable online Because It's Master servers are dead and it is no longer in active development, Zandronum is basically ZDoom and GZDoom together (Allows switching between Software and OpenGL Renderers) with a better Multiplayer, It's easy to setup and comes with Doomseeker (Just like Skulltag) this should allow you to find the Most easy to reach (Low ping) servers for you .

Skulltag does not require a master server to function. You can still play over the internet, you just have to use an alternative means of locating servers. There is however my reverse engineered master server, if it still operates with the latest Skulltag.

GhostlyDeath said:

Skulltag does not require a master server to function. You can still play over the internet, you just have to use an alternative means of locating servers. There is however my reverse engineered master server, if it still operates with the latest Skulltag.

I've never seen an actual reason given to do this instead of just putting up a Zandronum server with Skulltag resources.

GhostlyDeath said:

Skulltag does not require a master server to function. You can still play over the internet.

Most of servers (Probably all) were moved to Zandronum so .....

ST's only really useful for SP and for ST-specific mods, the ones you can still find anyway. I wish they'd import the ST monsters/weapons/items/powerups into Zandro. Skulltagstuff was my favorite 'lite' randomizer to use.

I know most of that stuff is on R667 but they're missing the Runes.

You can use Skulltag resources with Zandronum. Any Skulltag mod will work provided you load the resources before other wads. Servers hosting wads utilizing Skulltag content will download the needed files if you don't have them provided your wad downloading iss set up properly.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I'm using Zandronum...

Anyway , it was a bad idea to don't support skulltag.
It's Bots , Survival mode , SP Deathmatch , etc was a very good idea.
Who said it should be unsupported and why ?

The Doommer said:

I'm using Zandronum...

Anyway , it was a bad idea to don't support skulltag.
It's Bots , Survival mode , SP Deathmatch , etc was a very good idea.
Who said it should be unsupported and why ?

Nobody said that, Carnevil doesn't want to work on it anymore because he's responsible of Wrack, And they're not really different from each other (Zandronum has everything that Skulltag has).

DMGUYDZ64 said:

(Zandronum has everything that Skulltag has).

Except for the monsters, weapons and that cool stuff. What about always running ZDL with skulltag-data.wad loaded so we can take some Abbadons down?

I didn't realize so many people didn't know that Zandronum literally is Skulltag. Do the data and actors PK3 files come with the installer?