Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Where do you keep your Doom stuff?

Where do you keep your Doom files?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you keep your Doom files?

• In a neatly ordered set of directories.
    • A directory for each source port and associated files.
    • I one big messy folder.
    • I dump my Doom stuff in the root.
    • I have a seperate computer. Just for doom and nothing else.

contents of c:\games\doom\

\bin (vanilla doom files\executables)

\demos (cool lmp files)

\iwads (doom.wad, doom2.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad, heretic.wad, hexen.wad, deathkings.wad)

\ports (\boomsday, \csdoom, \doomsday, \edge, \legacy, \prboom, \skulltag, \vavoom, \zdaemon, \zdoom)

\pwads (\doom, \doom2, \heretic, \hexen)

\stuffage (good doom fanart/fiction, deathmatch screenshots, doom 3 movies, etc.)

\utils (editors, wad tools, frontends/launchers)

IN MY PANTS

Pretty much, in two directories, one for Doom, one for Doom 2. Wow.

Four rather messy directories, actually. One each for UDoom, Doom2, Heretic, and Hexen. Each has its own copy of ZDoom installed because I is too shtupid to figure out how to run the four games from one copy.

Depends of WHAT kind of Doom stuff, Games & wads or my artwork?
Games & Wads: I have this directory called "DoomCE" under which I have Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom. Within each of these directories (except Final Doom), I have a 'wads' directory for mods etc.
I also have a seperate directory called 'sourceports' where I keep, yep, you guessed it: Source Ports and wads requiring specific source ports.
Art: Incomplete art and half-done sketches is kept in a drawer in my desk, completed art is archived in a black folder in another drawer.

Ah yes, and my fan fics all lie in the 'my documents' directory.
And let's not forget the Doom mp3s: A directory called 'My music' and under that 'Doommusic'.

Off topic: Tell me little faith, are you tryin' to become a Mod of the polls forum or something? I seem to notice a growing 'little faith' activity in this forum.

C:\Doom (19.7mb)

C:\Doom 2 (572mb)

C:\Plutonia.zip (8.69mb)

C:\Tnt.zip (17.3mb)

C:\Movies\Doom 3 (78.8mb)

Can't even remember how much stuff I have deleted and zipped due to limitation of lack of space I have :(

I keep them in random locations in random system folders and move them around randomly every Thursday night.

IMJack said:

Each has its own copy of ZDoom installed because I is too shtupid to figure out how to run the four games from one copy.

zdoom -iwad c:\doom\iwads\doom2.wad

zdoom -iwad c:\doom\iwads\heretic.wad

etc

C:\Copie de Doom 2
C:\Doom
C:\DoomStage
C:\Doom2
C:\Editeur
C:\Final Doom
C:\Jdoom
C:\Scripting
C:\Copie de Copie de Doom 2
C:\Copie de Doom

Maybe they are others I don't even know anymore...

Liam the Bard said:

zdoom -iwad c:\doom\iwads\doom2.wad

zdoom -iwad c:\doom\iwads\heretic.wad

etc

Now that's annoying to type in every time.

Add this to the .ini file instead:

[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=c:\doom\iwads\

You get to choose which IWAD you want to use every time the game starts.

dsm said:

Off topic: Tell me little faith, are you tryin' to become a Mod of the polls forum or something? I seem to notice a growing 'little faith' activity in this forum.

No, not really. It is just a clever ploy to boost my postcount. And I like the feel of browsing the board and seeing a whole stripe of Little Faith's.

Oh, no. You have been to the Post Hell haven't you you scurvy scallawag!

Honestly, it was just me trolling off at a very inappropriate moment. I did have the wisdom to notify Liam before the situation went ugly, so now the thread resides cozily among the green meadows, safe from all harm.

Everything Doom resides within my Doomsday folder and it's subsequent folders.
Doomsday\ (launchers)
Doomsday\Windeu (the obvious plus GlBSP)
Doomsday\data\jdoom (all iwads and pwads)
Doomsday\graphix (sprite and graphics mods)
Doomsday\sounds (take a wild bloody guess)
Doomsday\wintex (yeah that too)

There's a seperate folder for the shitload of midis to be added into wads, too.

everything in one big messy folder... about 4000 files in there.

Spike, your'e a Jdoom geek and I guess you are proud of it too.

Jdoom is a disco sourceport. I just needs a blacklight then it's there!

I've noticed quite a bit of "little faith activity" as well ;)

You're behaving yourself fine. If you have something your curious about or something you think would make an interesting discussion, please post it. But just remember never to post simply for the sake of posting. No postcount plugging or fluffing, and DEFINITELY no stupid shit like "I AM TAKING OVER THE POLLS FORUM LOLOLOLOLOL".

That felt good. Carry on.

Little Faith said:

Spike, your'e a Jdoom geek and I guess you are proud of it too.

Jdoom is a disco sourceport. I just needs a blacklight then it's there!

What's 'geek'-ish about keeping stuff where you can find it?

I was very tired and realised my mistake a mouseclick too late. Don't worry it'll never happen again. (Unless i'm seriously stoned or something).

Also I could only derive real satisfaction from a high postcount if I knew that it was made up by interesting, well writtten and relevant posts.

But I do miss your polls Liam. Just because you have become a mod it doesn't mean that you can't come down and join the fray at times.

Spike said:

What's 'geek'-ish about keeping stuff where you can find it?

The geekish thing was that you made a rather clear statement by pointing out that all your Doom folders was in some way affiliated to Doomsday.

And come on, Jdoom is a disco source port and it would be teh c00lest with a blacklight. Don't you agree?

Little Faith said:

But I do miss your polls Liam. Just because you have become a mod it doesn't mean that you can't come down and join the fray at times.

Hmm, does this mean that you have been on these boards BEFORE I even signed up?
'Cause I don't remember any of Liam's polls...

Little Faith said:

The geekish thing was that you made a rather clear statement by pointing out that all your Doom folders was in some way affiliated to Doomsday.

And come on, Jdoom is a disco source port and it would be teh c00lest with a blacklight. Don't you agree?

Blacklight? wtf?

If you don't know a blacklight is one of those nifty purple lightbulbs that makes bright areas on your clothes (I guess nothing you ever wear is bright) shine like neon.

Little Faith said:

If you don't know a blacklight is one of those nifty purple lightbulbs that makes bright areas on your clothes (I guess nothing you ever wear is bright) shine like neon.

You mean UV-lights. I'm well aware of these, makes my hair and some of my clothes glow.
Not every 'goth' has a predominatly black wardrobe, you know. Having bleached blonde hair kinda stands out from the get-go.

~/doom/wads - with a subdirectory for every WAD
~/doom/wadedit - Deutex tree
~/doom/midis
~/doom/wadrev
~/doom/demos - this is a bit messy
~/doom/prboom - with subdirectories for every release and working copy
~/doom/other-source-ports - with about 10 different Doom source trees
~/doom/xwadtools
~/doom/freedoom
~/doom/bsp

With a gig of Doom files, and at least 12 copies of the Doom source kicking around at any one time, I have to stay a bit organised...