Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

"Um, Actually"

College Humor has a game show where contestants are read facts about something (usually about a video game, movie, or tv series) that are factually inaccurate. It's the contestants goal to detect the detail that is inaccurate and restate the fact correctly.

This is the Doom forum version where one person posts a fact with miseleading information in it, and in order to score a point, someone must quote the post saying "Um actually," and restate the fact correctly.

ex.

StinkyDoomer1: "The Megasphere is an item that gives the player an additional 100% health and 100% armor."
StinkyDoomer2: "Um, actually, the megasphere is an item that arbitrarily sets the players health and armor to 200%."

SCORE

Quasar: 0.5
Linguica: 0.5

I'll start.

The Icon of Sin can spawn all of Doom 2's monsters except for the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, SS Nazi, Chaingunner, Shotgun Guy, and Zombieman.

40oz said:

I'll start.

The Icon of Sin can spawn all of Doom 2's monsters except for the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, SS Nazi, Chaingunner, Shotgun Guy, and Zombieman.

Umm, actually... The Icon of Sin can spawn all of Doom 2's monsters except for the Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, SS Nazi, Chaingunner, Shotgun Guy, Zombieman, and Commander Keen.

EDIT: I forgot one so I don't win :P

I normally wouldn't count commander keen, but Doombuilder does categorize it under monsters, so I'll give you both a half a point. Go ahead and post a new fact!

Um, actually I believe you have to alter the AASHITTY lump to be 128 units tall for it to rise higher.

The Archvile has an unused sound.

Um, actually, you don't need to alter the AASHITTY lump. If you set all lower textures (both front and back) of all linedefs touching any of 667-tagged sectors to a texture which is higher than 64, then the 667-tagged sector would rise as high as is the lowest of these textures.

Linguica said:

Tag 667 can't raise a sector by more than 64 units.

Um, Actually... The DoomWiki claims that when the last arachnotron dies, any sector tagged with the number 667 is raised up by the height of the shortest lower texture of any of that sector's sidedefs.

Edit ;
Either these forums host some ninja post-assasins, or the world had an inter dimensional time-shift, or my browers cache gave me the finger... But damn... when i posted this there where no other replies.

Um, actually, Linguica didn't say that his statement about tag 667 was related to MAP07 Arachnotron death special. So, sectors tagged 667 can raise by more than 64 units by using a floor-raising linedef action.

Obsidian said:

The Archvile has an unused sound.

Um, actually, it's the arch vile's fire that has a sound that is never used (dsflamst) because of a programming error.

FireFish said:

Um, Actually... The DoomWiki claims that when the last arachnotron dies

Um, actually, if you time it right, you can have the effect take place twice.

Blocking non-shootable objects have only been used as decoration or obstacle in IWAD maps until Hexen changed things.

Scuba Steve said:

Boom allowed creators to add rotational frames to inanimate objects, like pickup sprites.

Um, actually, inanimate objects always could have had rotational frames.

Gez said:

Blocking non-shootable objects have only been used as decoration or obstacle in IWAD maps until Hexen changed things.

Um, actually, Heretic came out before Hexen and it had blocking non-shootable Volcano fire spawners.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Um, Actually this is gonna be boring .

Um, actually, it's not going to be boring for everybody, notably not for participants who are the kind of people who this game was meant for.

Jaxxoon R said:

Um, actually, Doom is a video game that you push with buttons.

Um, actually, one can't "push" a videogame with buttons. A videogame by itself is an intangible collection of various bits of information that can only be interacted with through a proper medium, such as a console or computer. But even then, interaction with it is limited to some sort of input device such as a controller so one still cannot push a videogame with buttons.

Marnetmar said:

Um, actually, one can't "push" a videogame with buttons. A videogame by itself is an intangible collection of various bits of information that can only be interacted with through a proper medium, such as a console or computer. But even then, interaction with it is limited to some sort of input device such as a controller so one still cannot push a videogame with buttons.

Um, actually, if you take a button off of a keyboard and press it against the side of a copy of Doom, you can feasibly push the box across a flat (or even a rough) surface with a button. So, technically, Doom is a video game you can push with a button. (Alternatively, an actual shirt button could work, too)

Um, Actually i should get rid of the scoreboard because I don't know why I thought i'd have the time to fact check everyone and make sure their answers are correct.

Um, Actually The Cyberdemon is blind and relies on its sense of smell to locate its enemies, therefore its nostrils in a sense is its eyes.

(Total BS)

Scuba Steve said:

Boom allowed creators to add rotational frames to inanimate objects, like pickup sprites.

Um, actually pickupable objects are determined by thing type, so theoretically I don't think they have to be inanimate. You could have maybe a mod with health bottles that are attracted towards players for example. I don't know if anybody has ever done this though.

And yes, this was always possible even in Vanilla Doom.

rdwpa said:

It's possible to pick up monsters too? I'm going to design a mod where all of the enemies are giant infants.

You can create monsters which can be picked up, move, and attack you at the same time. However Vanilla is limited to the sprites of pickup weapons to determine which thing to actually pick up and not the type of thing.

Jimi said:

Doom2 featured a bonus level where you can play a Pacman level in 3D.

Um, actually that was E3M10 of Wolfenstein 3D.

GhostlyDeath said:

You can create monsters which can be picked up, move, and attack you at the same time. However Vanilla is limited to the sprites of pickup weapons to determine which thing to actually pick up and not the type of thing.

Well, actually, um, heh, You can't set monsters to move and attack at the same time.

joe-ilya said:

Well, actually, um, heh, You can't set monsters to move and attack at the same time.

Um, actually, ZDoom exists. Also, aren't lost souls technically moving and attacking at the same time when they're doing their attack?