Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

You're a vampire.

Yes, but... no.

It is like a normal doom level, just the lava/poison is substituted with brighter areas.

But the idea of playing like a vampire is nice. Maybe with some new kind of attack, which sucks blood from the enemies... maybe.

Gameplay is very linear and the gimmick here makes you to pick all the fights by camping in chokes. At least it was short.

scifista42 said:

EDIT: What's the compatibility of the map?

Vanilla.

There's a vampire mode on Zdaemon if you're looking to leech blood from your enemies.

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. The level is OK, although a bit too basic, with apparent flatness and linearity, which are just signs of basicness, my complaint is that it lacked really exciting design or gameplay. The vampire gimmick alone is interesting and good, IMO it could have been expressed better if the light difference between "safe darkness" and "dangerous brightness" was much higher, and accompanied with more elaborate lighting work whatsoever. That's it, the map was fine.

cool concept, it remembered me a map from 1994 where there was this concept of toxic sunlight but i don't remember the name right now (i know it was made from the same guy who made mntfire.wad, infact that level was a sort of sequel of that map...), i like it, maybe a night or a dark tone sky and a more creepy music will be better...

walter confalonieri said:

cool concept, it remembered me a map from 1994 where there was this concept of toxic sunlight but i don't remember the name right now

Serenity E3M1?

Yes! That one!

The mountain base level from that serie was nice. There was also a "colony town" from the same serie which appeared in many wads compilations.

scifista42 said:

Or at least, you know, a vampire HUD.

A Nick Cage HUD please. Agreed that the concept has potential, but the map needs more design creativity and uniqueness to properly sell it, a regular one won't do. Think Jimmy's The Floor Is Lava for a positive example.

joe-ilya said:

There's a vampire mode on Zdaemon if you're looking to leech blood from your enemies.

That's a catchy name for restoring your health by damaging enemies. Fun in DM. I'd say a real vampire mode should only do that from melee attacks.

Actually I think there should be instead a gameplay mod where you actually play as a Vampire where you can actually suck blood from enemies, use vampiric powers, etc.

Only if someone made a "Vampire: The Masquerade" mod for ZDoom but INB4 CCP games would try to shut it down like they did with Project Vaulderie but then again you all know how low profile Doom (and Wolfenstein 3D) mods can be compared to modern games...

Why do you think this map is linear and flat?
You can grab the rocket launcher if you want to, you don't have go through building with the red bars, you can make a quick run to the library, the red key is in a higher position than yours making the map not as flat, the rocket launcher is set in the same way as the red key, you have to go up the stairs, there's even a ramp in the map so you'll jump above the sunlight floor to the shadows, and there are lots of windows you can shoot through if you want.

A vampire HUD should just be doomguy with long pointy teeth.

joe-ilya said:

A vampire HUD should just be doomguy with long pointy teeth.

I can imagine the quality.

joe-ilya said:

flat?

You can also tell this by looking at the screenshot you posted in the OP.
All the ground of the outdoor and the sky hasn't any height variation. 90% of the map is like that, and adding just 2 areas raised by 8 doesn't improve something.

scifista42 said:

I can imagine the quality.

That looks more like a snake.

That's a really good concept, but you need some master level builders to make this like it should be. We're talking Alien Vendetta/Scythe 2 architecture here.

I think that was good.

Detailing is simple, but good. Gameplay wise could be better, though. I think that making more clear the lighter areas (damage) and darker ones (safety) would improve the experience a bit. Also, the monsters was just there. I've stayed in chokepoints and killed most of the threat in the level, except for one moment, where I had to get off to get ammunition, which was by far the most interesting part. It is also linear, but the level is so short that I didn't mind that.

Agree with the earlier observation that the difference between "dangerous" light and "safe" darkness needs to be better highlighted with stronger contrast between the two.

It's interesting overall because you've taken the convention of dark areas being inherently dangerous due to limited visibility and all that entails, and turned it on its head.

This is gotta be one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen in a Doom wad. It really makes you perceive the game in a new way. I also like how the brightness difference between light and shadow isn't that strong, so you need to pay a lot of attention to your surroundings. I've never had to scan all areas with my eyes so carefully before. Great job.