Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Monster, munitions, items and keys

Shaviro said:

30 - 40 weapons? are you out of your mind? You wouldn't be able to remember all of them O_o

My thoughts exactly.

Shaviro said:

30 - 40 weapons? are you out of your mind? You wouldn't be able to remember all of them O_o

I already realized that 30-40 weapons is way to damn much.

Hmm... what would I like to see...

Monster-wise, I'd like to see the Cyberdemon(who wouldn't?), except utterly massive. It'd be interesting to see more of his metallic skeleton, as opposed to the half-n-half thing we have now. I'd also like to see a Revenant-type creature that looks even more horrible and twisted. Also, what'd be interesting-- instead of having regular pink demons and spectres-- is if the existing pink demon actually used transparency as a defense mechanism. Imagine slapping some powder into the pinky, and he leaps onto the ceiling. You shine your light up there: nothing. You know he's there, but you don't know where... until he materializes behind you.

It'd also be interesting(but annoying if overdone) if they had some kind of parasite creature that would latch onto you and try to burrow into your stomach, and you had to use a melee weapon to get it off. Kind of like those blobs in Duke Nukem.

As far as weapons, the standard stuff is fine. Although they could present some realism in the way of only being able to carry a certain number of weapons at a time. That way, you'd have to pick and choose which weapons would be most useful at a given time. Of course, you could always go back for ones you dropped, or hold more with a backpack.

But I'd like to see some sort of antimatter or atomic device that spews out a massive energy blast. Drop it on the ground and RUN LIKE HELL. Come back ten seconds later: voila! Red wallpaper!

Manik999 said:

Hmm... what would I like to see...

Monster-wise, I'd like to see the Cyberdemon(who wouldn't?),

I wouldn't. Cyberdemon is a boss, not a regular monster. I hope doom3 is more original with the bosses than doom2 was.

No, no parasite creatures.

We'we had enough of Alien'isms.

I think they should still have the spider mastermind. Maybe not as the final test, but then just before. The mastermind, however, should not just be the size of a truck like it is now. It should be the size of friggin supertanker. A big evil brain the size of a city block and killing it should involve venturing Inside the creature, and then you should make your escape Descent-style while the mastermind's putrid flesh collapses around you. See that could be cool.

Little Faith said:

A big evil brain the size of a city block and killing it should involve venturing Inside the creature, and then you should make your escape Descent-style while the mastermind's putrid flesh collapses around you. See that could be cool.

Nah, that would A) not be the Doom SMM and B) be a bit, how shall I put it, 'off'.
I like the idea of destroying some sort of infestation/gargantuan superbeast/whatever from the inside though, but please, not the Spider Mastermind - I still want tt take it from the outside, having to run for cover when it lets its autocannon loose on me.

But the SMM should definitely be more dangerous than before - a LOT more dangerous, same with the Cybie (and YES, I want the Cybie to return as a boss).

I wouldn't. Cyberdemon is a boss, not a regular monster. I hope doom3 is more original with the bosses than doom2 was.

Uhh, isn't that a kind of dumb comment? The Cybie IS a monster - just not a regular monster. This thread is about monsters in general, ammo, items and keys.

So there.

I don't think there's one creature from the original that i WOULDN'T like to see in Doom III. I can't imagine id leaving out Cybie, he was too much of a drawing point for them to forget about enhancing the beastie.

Gimme a new, super-scary Arch-vile!!!

Spike said:

Gimme a new, super-scary Arch-vile!!!

Yeah, and make it look like a demon this time around.

Ah come on now... he *did* look demonic... okay, maybe not in the typical horns'n'hooves kinda way. Plus the attack - hellfire - is more hellish than rockets.

If an imp looks demonic, than so does a Vile.

Gimme a Revenant that looks similar to the D2 one: dry skull and long gangly arms and legs sticking out from a mechanical torso. It'll punch, kick, body-check, throw, and otherwise phustigate your ass up close and fire mortars (not homing missiles) from its back tubes from a distance. Its arms, legs, and skull should be fairly easy to shoot off and affect its movement accordingly. But once you've blown off all its limbs, it's torso will drop to the ground and start beeping. Anyone who has seen the ending of "Predator" can guess what comes next. :)

Man, all I really need weaponry wise are the originals and add something like a trip mine.It would be cool if you had to put the mine in a shadow because the monster would already see it if it was in the light.And MAYBE a chainsaw.But there's always a chance they will screw it up like every other 3d first-person shooter has in the past *cough*UrealTournament*cough*.I believe there should be an auto shotgun as opposed to a pump.But like maybe add a really big recoil so you don't end up shooting 5 shots a second.Btw people put too much emphisis on the spread of a shotgun, you can shoot well over a hundred yards with a 12 guage with a 28-inch barrel.

Spike said:

Ah come on now... he *did* look demonic... okay, maybe not in the typical horns'n'hooves kinda way. Plus the attack - hellfire - is more hellish than rockets.

If an imp looks demonic, than so does a Vile.

It had a demonic attack, yes, but it looked like a friggin' space alien (I couldn't help but think of the archie when I saw the aliens in Independance day). The old imp looked demonic because it had glowing eyes and spikes on its body, the new imp looks equally demonic because it has lots of evil, red eyes.

I don't know how id should change the archie, but hopefully, it'll come out looking demonic.

Gimme a Revenant that looks similar to the D2 one: dry skull and long gangly arms and legs sticking out from a mechanical torso. It'll punch, kick, body-check, throw, and otherwise phustigate your ass up close and fire mortars (not homing missiles) from its back tubes from a distance. Its arms, legs, and skull should be fairly easy to shoot off and affect its movement accordingly. But once you've blown off all its limbs, it's torso will drop to the ground and start beeping. Anyone who has seen the ending of "Predator" can guess what comes next. :)

The revenant was among the cheesiest looking monsters in Doom 2 imo. Just a tall skull with an armour vest that looked like medieval armour and some odd cylinders on its shoulders.
The new revenant needs to look a lot scarier, with cooler-looking armour and some heavy gear on its shoulders.

believe there should be an auto shotgun as opposed to a pump.But like maybe add a really big recoil so you don't end up shooting 5 shots a second.Btw people put too much emphisis on the spread of a shotgun, you can shoot well over a hundred yards with a 12 guage with a 28-inch barrel.

[edit]Oh please, for the love of God not again. Please tell me why so many people are so interesting in that imho boring autoshotgun - I mean all it does is say "boom" without that wonderful "chuck-chack" sound. Here's the reasons why I don't like the idea:
1. No cool reload sound (that's the Doom shotgun's TRADEMARK - please don't spoil it)
2. it would screw up the weapons balance completely - a fast-firing sb shotgun would make the db shotgun rust from disuse.
3. It would weaken the scare element of firing at e.g. an imp and not killing it in your first shot and having that sense of just wanting to get the f**k out of there while waiting for the gun to reload.
4. It wouldn't be Doom.

And another thing is: It's already official that the shotgun in Doom 3 is like the one in the old game - some of us saw that in the E3 presentation video (the leaked illegal one)[/edit]

dsm said:

I don't know how id should change the archie, but hopefully, it'll come out looking demonic.

Horns, beards and goat faces are just European interpretations. For me, the Archvile was the most hellish creature of the game since I can't relate his form to any animal in the Earth. This thing is just creepy, it doesn't need any teeth, claws, mouth, tongue, tail or horns. It's way beyond the rest of the Doom 2 creatures.

Zaldron said:

Horns, beards and goat faces are just European interpretations. For me, the Archvile was the most hellish creature of the game since I can't relate his form to any animal in the Earth. This thing is just creepy, it doesn't need any teeth, claws, mouth, tongue, tail or horns. It's way beyond the rest of the Doom 2 creatures.

I didn't say that the archie should have horns, teeth or stuff like that, merely that I don't think the old archie looks demonic.
Actually, if it looked more like the marble Archvile head (even though I think it lookes very little like it), i'd find it more demonic.

dsm said:

What's the fucking matter with all these people wanting a lame "CS" autoshotgun instead of the sweet pump action shotgun?

DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT SWEET, SWEET 2-2, BOY?!?!?

If I ever meet Minh Lee, my knee's going to get real "acquainted" with his balls.

Yes, I would do that. Over and over again, actually.

Anyway, in the gameplay trailer, I keep pausing the video but I can't really make out the Imps eyes, only a blurry face. The new Imps has 10 eyes right? Are they all in its face, or are they located somewhere else?

Livo said:
Anyway, in the gameplay trailer, I keep pausing the video but I can't really make out the Imps eyes, only a blurry face. The new Imps has 10 eyes right? Are they all in its face, or are they located somewhere else? [/B]

Imagine the old imp's eyes split up into four-five eyes for each eye - that's more or less what the new imp looks like.

Archie's marble face looks just like the sprite's - white eyes, tubes running from the 'mouth' to the back of the head, so on so forth.

Kinda funny how the new imp can look demonic, but the old archie can't? The new imps look more like aliens than anything else. The new demon looks like a cross between the Terminator and Gigers Alien... man, are the Hell Knights our only hope???

Only joking, the new beasties are lookin sexy. Wakka.

Spike said:

Archie's marble face looks just like the sprite's - white eyes, tubes running from the 'mouth' to the back of the head, so on so forth.

Kinda funny how the new imp can look demonic, but the old archie can't? The new imps look more like aliens than anything else. The new demon looks like a cross between the Terminator and Gigers Alien... man, are the Hell Knights our only hope???

Only joking, the new beasties are lookin sexy. Wakka.

Pardon me, but the Archie's eyes aren't glowing white - they're just some short lines in its face and the shape of its head is slightly different (the marb face's head is more like an egg shape, whereas the archie sprite's head is less "pointy" on the top if you understand what I mean.

I just hope that the Doom 3 Archie will end up looking more like that marb face than what the actual archvile sprite gives me associations to.

DSM - we're never gonna see eye-to-eye on the Vile, are we? :) Ah well, let's just agree to disagree.

Spike said:

DSM - we're never gonna see eye-to-eye on the Vile, are we? :) Ah well, let's just agree to disagree.

Yeah, at any rate I believe that id wont fail to give the Archie a cool new look (hopefully one we'll both be satisfied with).

ARCH-VILE ROCKS!

haha, last word :)

*Spike runs for his life*

dsm said:

It had a demonic attack, yes, but it looked like a friggin' space alien (I couldn't help but think of the archie when I saw the aliens in Independance day). The old imp looked demonic because it had glowing eyes and spikes on its body, the new imp looks equally demonic because it has lots of evil, red eyes.

The revenant was among the cheesiest looking monsters in Doom 2 imo. Just a tall skull with an armour vest that looked like medieval armour and some odd cylinders on its shoulders.
The new revenant needs to look a lot scarier, with cooler-looking armour and some heavy gear on its shoulders.

[edit]Oh please, for the love of God not again. Please tell me why so many people are so interesting in that imho boring autoshotgun - I mean all it does is say "boom" without that wonderful "chuck-chack" sound. Here's the reasons why I don't like the idea:
1. No cool reload sound (that's the Doom shotgun's TRADEMARK - please don't spoil it)
2. it would screw up the weapons balance completely - a fast-firing sb shotgun would make the db shotgun rust from disuse.
3. It would weaken the scare element of firing at e.g. an imp and not killing it in your first shot and having that sense of just wanting to get the f**k out of there while waiting for the gun to reload.
4. It wouldn't be Doom.

And another thing is: It's already official that the shotgun in Doom 3 is like the one in the old game - some of us saw that in the E3 presentation video (the leaked illegal one)[/edit]

1. I always felt that Doom's shotgun trademark was that it was the first really good weapon you got a hold of. Besides even automatic shotguns have a reload sound.

2. Ever see real life footage of somone who was really fast with a pump action shotgun. They are just as fast as as someone with an automatic shotgun. In real life time trials pump action users were only a few 100ths of a second slower than an automatic. In both cases their speed is recoil limited.

3. In both real life and other games it is not nessacery to fully load a tube magazine fed shotgun in order to fire it. There has been more than one occasion while playing that my shotgun ran out in a fight let it load up a shell or two then finished off the last monster. If you really wanted a sense of just wanting to get the f**k out of there while waiting for the gun to reload make the gun a box magazine fed bullpup; gun empty, point it up, pull out the clip, slap in a new one, bring it back down to firing position, prey that you have not been killed durring that 4 second gymnastics routine.

4. Reloading, dialog and a script have also never been part of Doom before either.

Yes the pump action has been shown in the game footage but the game is still a year away so changes can still occure.

Old Arch-vile was looking cool IMO.and what make it even better (asid from his attack) is his laughter.i found it really creepy.

I wonder why the could not have a skill level like NIGHTMARE but where the monsters don't respawn...They still attack really fast.

Hmm Just wonderning.

Xzyl said:
1. I always felt that Doom's shotgun trademark was that it was the first really good weapon you got a hold of. Besides even automatic shotguns have a reload sound.

Not the autoshotgun in CS.

2. Ever see real life footage of somone who was really fast with a pump action shotgun. They are just as fast as as someone with an automatic shotgun. In real life time trials pump action users were only a few 100ths of a second slower than an automatic. In both cases their speed is recoil limited.

Yeah, but this is a GAME, and meant to have fairly balanced weapons.

4. Reloading, dialog and a script have also never been part of Doom before either.

No, but this is one of Doom's timetested weapons - by replacing it with a imfo lame autoshotgun, you'll take out one of the fundamentals in Doom - reloading is only a small thing and fits the new game perfectly. Dialogue is necessary to enhance the plot, which is clearly one of id's goals with this new game.

Yes the pump action has been shown in the game footage but the game is still a year away so changes can still occure.

Frankly, I can't see why they'd change the shotgun to an autoshotty - there are just too many people who want the shotgun to be like the old one, and let me restate one thing: It wouldn't be Doom if it had an autoshotty instead of a pump-action shotty.

Now, please do me a favour and tell me why you are so eager to replace one of my favorite Doom weapons with an autoshotgun. For the sake of realism? What?
Personally, I see nothing cool with an autoshotgun AT ALL so I doubt that you have a chance in Hell to persuade me to accept such a change.

Well I don’t play counterstrike so I cant tell you why the automatic shotguns in that game don’t make a sound when they chamber a round. Although the chambering sound should be more like that of an automatic rifle having its first round being chambered.

Why I would prefer to see an automatic instead of a pump? I guess it’s the futurist in me. Past certain dates I don’t see certain things still being common. At one time the double barreled shotgun was the dominant weapon of law enforcement now it’s extinct in that field (with maybe a handful of exceptions). It was killed off by the more advanced weapon, the pump action shotgun. The same thing is already happening to the pump action shotgun. Not just in law enforcement, but the military has already begun ditching its pumps. http://www.janes.com/regional_news/americas/news_briefs/jidr9910_05.shtml

You can find an expert review of it here from a self professed pump fan

http://club.guns.ru/eng/hkm4.html

This is just the natural evolution of weapon technology. So I can’t really say its realism but more an issue of continuity. So if the military is getting rid of their pumps now they should not have them 150 years in the future. It’s sort of like when watching a scifi space battle and none of ships and fighters use any missiles or watching a scifi ground battle and they are using WWI tactics.

dsm I could no more talk you into an automatic shotgun than I could talk the owner of a classic mustang into trading it in for the new model.

bigbadgangsta if you think that the bad boy below is gay I would suggest that you not bend over in front of it.

Baaaaah. Pump-action, baby. Any thing less...

Would be uncivilized.