Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noshutdown

vulkan doom?

No but every vendor wants to push their own proprietary API now in hopes that it will collect enough devs to create a landslide effect that gives them a monopoly in the graphics industry.

Anybody remember GLIDE? Ever tried playing a GLIDE game that somebody didn't already write a GL wrapper for?

The death of an open standard for graphics will be a large contributor to the death of general computing and the freedom to write software.

Vulkan is neither proprietary nor vendor-specific. It is actually developed by exactly the same group as OpenGL, with the intent of creating an API that reflects hardware realities of today rather than the hardware realities of 1992.

OpenGL won't go away any time soon. At worst, it will be a compatibility layer to translate calls to Vulkan, but there's too much legacy to get rid of it for at least a couple decades.

Vulkan won't make doom run 100% faster while consuming 50% less power.

Given how much fuss was thrown about GZDoom 2.0 dropping support for OpenGL 1.x and 2.x, I imagine the Doom community will be quite slow in adopting Vulkan.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Please tell me it will support ATI Saphire HD7750 .

That's not how it works. It's not the standard's responsibility to support a specific hardware, it's the hardware's responsibility to support the standard. Either ATI releases Vulkan drivers for your HD7750, or they don't. In neither case is the Khronos group involved.

printz said:

What about OS X Windows XP support?

FTFY <3

Quoting from KHRONOS group. https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

Vulkan is the new generation, open standard API for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs. This ground-up design, previously referred to as the Next Generation OpenGL Initiative, provides applications direct control over GPU acceleration for maximized performance and predictability.

“Industry standard APIs like Vulkan are a critical part of enabling developers to bring the best possible experience to customers on multiple platforms. Valve and the other Khronos members are working hard to ensure that this high-performance graphics interface is made available as widely as possible and we view it as a critical component of SteamOS and future Valve games.”
Gabe Newell - Valve

It appears to be open standard API and a hardware feature. By the sounds of it am interested how stuff will run on it.

I think most directX 12 cards support it, I cant find anything about the HD 7750 having it or not.

Yeah I'm a dumbass; for some reason I thought Vulkan was something NVidia was pushing, along the lines of Apple's Metal crap. Dunno where I got that impression.

However, what's the vendor support gonna look like for this? Is it going places?

I think that GPUs with support for all DX11 features support DX12 and Vulkan. Older than that and no.

I am mainly interested to see what the API will look like, and how hard or easy it'll be to put some pixels on the screen. Is there a draft reference or something somewhere?

I think the biggest obstacle for Vulkan will become Apple who seem to be hell-bent on becoming like Microsoft - just with the little difference that they are far more restrictive in what drivers are allowed to do, so they create even stronger vendor lock-in.

At least Microsoft allowed driver developers to extend OpenGL beyond its basic capabilities so it has been able to coexist with D3D.
No such luck with Apple who have fallen way behind by now (Mac GL support is by far the worst of the 3 major desktop OSs) - and since they intend to push their own Metal API some experts suspect that they skip on Vulkan in order to do that.

In any case, don't expect much of a performance boost for Doom engines. Most of the processing time is spent in the BSP traversal/visibility clipping code which is inherently multithreading-incapable so there's no chance to use the processing power of modern hardware to get a significant speed-up.

Well, vulkan APIs are still on development.

I would say to wait for having some stable specifics, and for drivers, too, before talking about implementations.

I mean OpenGL before it went stable it passed some years of drafts, tests and development.

And I hope they don't make some dumb things like the dev guys of the Wayland server (removed the possibility to connect to a remote graphic server like X with a tunneled connection), or Systemd (binary logs, for example)

Quasar said:

I am mainly interested to see what the API will look like, and how hard or easy it'll be to put some pixels on the screen. Is there a draft reference or something somewhere?

From what I have read, it will be in C similar to OpenGL. The prefix being either "vl", "vlk", or "vk". The "Hello World" might be more complex than OpenGL 3.x+ since you are at a lower level (think of C "Hello World" vs assembly). I heard rumors that there might also be an official C++ interface on top of the C code.

OpenGL is not going to be killed off though (that would piss off all the engineering people who have nothing to do with games).

Most of the processing time is spent in the BSP traversal/visibility clipping code

That's the culprint! Large maps or open world maps always run bad.

I'll rewrite the BSP shit from the ground up and break compatibility.

Expected stable release in 3015.

GhostlyDeath said:

OpenGL is not going to be killed off though (that would piss off all the engineering people who have nothing to do with games).

Of course not but maybe some platform-independent OpenGL implementation that builds on Vulkan will surface eventually. That'd solve a lot of problems with the current state of things where there's so many driver oddities that the whole thing has almost become unmanageable.