• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

Gustavo's Maps (previously Devile II)

This is a list of the maps I done.
Beyond Limits:

Spoiler

A simple map I made to reveal my tiny map skillz. Avaiable in page 5.

Devile II:
Spoiler

DEVILE II: THE LIFTS (official release also known as DEVILE 2 Mega Pack)
version 1.7.0
- EIGHT maps of pure carnage!
- If you know the more than 20 secrets, or just four of them, very well done!
- A trading chaingunner!
- Many bugfixes from early releases!
- Known by many as "fun and beautiful"!
- Pro mapper's arch technique in MAP02!
- Bug tracking in its thread! (ops, this is its thread)
- Continuous updates announced!

DOWNLOAD
Open it in ZDoom and Have Fun!

Level design and gameplay (=the important things) are way too primitive and therefore suck. Script works OK, which I consider a minor accomplishment, though. Also, player can jump over the gap prematurely, which will mysteriously kill all monsters in the map.

It is the last drop of my patience! It is this difficult to do something decent? I will retexture and do design things and stuff to do it, "Devile II: Remade"! If this won't be enough then map making sucks!

I think you could use looking at other good community-made maps/wads to see what "decent design" really is about, and/or look up for mapping tips in various threads around the forum.

The file size has increased suspiciously. When I opened the wad in SLADE3, I've found numerous superfluous lumps, probably previous versions of your map. Only the lumps below MAP01 marker are actually needed.

That was ok as a map I think.

- Having to kill a Demon with only a pistol is quite tedious and should probably be avoided. The Shotgunner and Demon could be switched, which would then give you the SG to kill the Demon.
- The walls lowering around the red key took longer than I thought they would, you could maybe make that a bit shorter.
- "The lift don't work without power." The "don't" should either be "doesn't" or "won't".
- The overhang before the door to the exit looks a bit weird.
- Some sort of ambush at the yellow door would be nice as that's effectively the key to the exit.

Quite a simple progression, but nice enough, and the scripting wasn't bad either.

- Texturing was more varied than before, but felt unprofessionally "random" and often wallpaper-alike/monochromatic in each individual room.
- Too flat, no sensibly used height variation.
- Too little challenge, the monsters just stand there to be killed, all of them are encountered from the front side, uninspired room-corridor-room structure.
- Decorative objects in the middle of corridors were annoyingly getting in my way.
- Inescapable pits are rather bad (annoying) on their own, better avoid making them.
- Yellow door can be opened without the key.
- There is still the problem with jumping over the pit before the bridge raises.
- The computer panel "switch" is unobvious, a typical Doom switch would have been better to make its presence and function clearly understandable.
- The final sequence of moving walls still looks illogical.

These are the flaws that I perceived. Try to improve those in the future. This map wasn't enjoyable for me yet. Please don't take it as an offense, I'm just giving you honest feedback so that you know where and how to possibly improve.

The final sequence of moving walls was actually a lift sequence but in ZDoom (not GZDoom) it is bugged.

How to make multiple maps in a WAD using GZDoom Builder? I plan to expand to Devile II: Mega Pack.

Start a new map, set its mapslot to MAP02 (or further), then choose "File -> Save Map Into" (NOT Save Map As!!!) and save it into an already existing wad.

GZDB just handles maps, not any other sorts of resources (music, graphics, code, etc.) -- for that you'll want to check out SLADE.

Oh. I remember now to have used SLADE to "music" the map VectorXYZ.
Either way.

DEVILE II: THE LIFTS (official release also known as DEVILE 2 Mega Pack)
- Two maps: MAP01 and MAP02!
- A mad lift and a good rage!
- If you know the more than 15 secrets, or just four of them, very well done!
- No Backpack?! FUCKA HARD
- A trading chaingunner!
- Many bugfixes from early releases!
- Known by many as "fun and beautiful"!
- Pro mapper's arch technique in MAP02!
- Bug tracking in its thread! (ops, this is its thread)
- Continuous updates announced!

V1.0
-Fixed version of wad.

Many apologizes for the time the mod was down!

I really hope these maps will be huge and full of new graphics to have the size of 18mb.

I like new mappers. I like seeing how they build a map with less preconceptions of what Doom is than those who've been playing for 20 yrs. It's like giving 4-year olds crayons and telling them to draw a castle when they've never seen a castle. Most of the drawings are odd, but once in a while you find one that is beautiful and unique.

This is not that one.

From the 18.2 MB download which contains 18 MB of music, to errors that simple testing would have found, I have nothing positive to say about these maps. I swear to God, at first I thought these were a joke. "Here's Devil II, Devil I to follow." I laughed out loud. It was like Mel Brooks's "History of the World, Part II". There is no Part I. But they aren't obvious enough a joke to be funny.

MAP01
-----
Almost every secret isn't much of a secret. Look for the texture that doesn't match and open the door.

Your insta-death lava pit kills you when you cross the linedef, not when you land in the lava. That means if you aren't careful, and cross the linedef at an angle to get to the bridge, you die on the bridge.

The automap can't be scored. You set the room at the height of the floor before it drops when you get the red key. I cheated to get it and ended up with 11 secrets scored out of 10 possible.

MAP02
-----
Why are so many pickups shadow/stealth? Shadow keycards? A shadow box of shells? What's the purpose of those? I scored 5 out of 6 secrets, but killed everything and found all items. I clipped into every single sector on the map and couldn't find the 6th.

The maps are functional and playable, but I didn't enjoy them. That's the best I can do.

Just very bland novice level maps, that has some interesting gimmicks. Hmm... I like the music in MAP02 though. Over all I think he'll be able to make some interesting stuff when his mapping skills improve.

gaspe said:

I really hope these maps will be huge and full of new graphics to have the size of 18mb.

Nay, it's music that makes the enormous size - 2 tracks in .mp3 and .wav formats, respectively. Well, it could have been worse.

scifista42 said:

Nay, it's music that makes the enormous size - 2 tracks in .mp3 and .wav formats, respectively. Well, it could have been worse.

I saw. I wrote that while I was waiting the download.

Release v1.1 Changelog:
* More bugfixes
(Map01 raising yellow key platform HOM, Map02 translucent items)
+ Map03: Grin Into Hell
+ Idgames Text
* Now is compressed
Check the update! In the OP!
Devile I was once a map, but it was unrecoverably trashed due to bugs.

I need a good music to MIDI converter. Anyone knows of one?
The HOM's problem is that the sector had to lower like the other. Joining the two solved the problem.

Forget the converter. I got three AWESOME musics from the free midi shop! More credits to my upltempl.
The file will be a time down to replace it.

//Sorry for the triple post. Admins, please?
Changelog for v1.2:
+ MAP03 bugfixes and inclusion on mapinfo
* Music is now awesome Liquid Tension Experiment and Behemoth heavy metal! (text has credited them)
Update in OP!

Can you explain the following:

Image 1) What does this switch do?

Image 2) What does this square do?

Image 3) Why is there a HoM here?