Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

"Somewhere in Time": 15 vanilla maps - RELEASED!!!

I must say this is very polished compared to whatever I played a year ago maybe? But I still love it! I play it on Edge with the mod Doom4ever.wad. It plays really well together. I even played it on Gzdoom vanilla. Very cool. I love the music. I don't get what the hate is, but I like the progression of the wad. Never a dull moment. Classic!

FINAL UPDATE!

I did all the small works that was left: ending map, DeHackEd edits, new HUD (if Jimmy allows me to use that), and previously: TITLEPIC, CWILVxx texts and some other gfx were replaced.

So, after some minor edits (thank your very much, rdwpa, that was a terrible teleport bug I didn't notice) and finalizing all these gfx stuff, here's a final beta version!

I'm going to wait for playtesting repsonses for any bugs, and after some time, or if there's no proper repsonse, I'm gonna upload it to /idgames.

Also, I'd like to use 3 demos if it's possible, so if you'd send some, that'd be great, but of course not obligatory.

Streaming this : https://www.twitch.tv/joe_ilya

The vents in MAP05 are visually bugged when you look at them from behind the red bar.
The Iron Maiden/Judas Priest tracks you used have ear-killing vocal tracks, one of the tracks even pauses for a couple of minutes before looping again.

Thanks for the stream, watching this to find gameplay issues.

Music is not going to be changed, though, I'm sorry. That's the key aspect of the "spirit" of the WAD, and I choose them by reason, even if not fitting perfectly.

On the other hand, the not looping music is fixed, I just forgot update the MIDI with the one gaspe sent.

MAP05 vent bug is because of an invisible wall that is very important to prevent monsters from waking up.

Are there anything else that's noteworthy, or you think it's ready for release?

Katamori said:

Music is not going to be changed, though, I'm sorry. That's the key aspect of the "spirit" of the WAD, and I choose them by reason, even if not fitting perfectly.

MAP05 vent bug is because of an invisible wall that is very important to prevent monsters from waking up.

Are there anything else that's noteworthy, or you think it's ready for release?

It's not about the MIDI fitting, it's about it being listenable without getting ear damage.

You could alter the vent blockage by using the floor instead of the ceiling.

Other than that go and release this.

joe-ilya said:

It's not about the MIDI fitting, it's about it being listenable without getting ear damage.

I got it, ilya, but there are no better versions of these songs in MIDI, these are not the best, but the ONLY ones I've found.

Also thanks for highlighting the buggy MAP07, by the way, that the arachnotrons didn't teleport properly, making the map unfinishable was just terrible.

No, I can't even remember, where did I get the original songs, but there are some better version, thanks!

I played through the first 5 maps using Chocolate Doom.

Very minor graphical issues:

Tutti-frutti effects with the step and wall textures in Maps 3 and 5.

Other things:

The Revenant in MAP03 was stuck there for me.

MAP03's music track doesn't loop properly.

That platforming section at the end of MAP03 was painless, but still: no no no no no no. Don't add platforming in Doom maps. Plz. There's no jumping or vertical look and the movement is too slippery for it.

Not a fan of the Arch-vile that spawns in front of you at the end of MAP04. Unless you know about the crates at the end of the room beforehand you'll have to take the first hit of the flame wall attack.

Very little armour for the first 3 levels yet way too much health. That health sphere among the medkits at the beginning of MAP04 is overkill and maybe should only be there in I'm Too Young to Die/Hey, Not Too Rough if you include difficulty support.

That said, I do like how small and compact the levels are. They remind me a lot of the iwads instead of the 30 minute open ended levels a lot of pwads seem to love.

Thanks to all of you, guys! I sent a finalized version to /incoming - I think it's gonna be available within the month.

I quite enjoyed this mapset - my only minor gripe was how some large parts of the map were hidden in the automap like the maze of MAP05 I think it was and some other large areas. Otherwise, this was a fun little romp with some really neat ideas. Really liked the idea of the conclusion MAP31 as well...

valkiriforce said:

I quite enjoyed this mapset - my only minor gripe was how some large parts of the map were hidden in the automap like the maze of MAP05 I think it was and some other large areas. Otherwise, this was a fun little romp with some really neat ideas. Really liked the idea of the conclusion MAP31 as well...

Glad you enjoyed, it's amazing to see that playtesting was worthy! The hidden automap is intentional, especially in the MAP05 maze where it's vital to hide the path both to the switch and to the secret.

MAP31 conclusion was a lucky coincidence: I could make a MAP15 exit, by which I could also provide an ending text, followed by a "pointless but nice" level.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I noticed your text file refers to MAP15 fixes, but MAP15 isn't in the wad. An oops, or were there other fixes you still wanted to make?

Are you sure you're playing the final /idgames version? There is definitely a map 15.

EffinghamHuffnagel was pointing out that the coopfix wad is missing MAP15, and he is right. Looks like the fix needs a fix, and here it is: intime-coopfix2.zip

Thanks for catching my mistake. Btw, I did not actually get to play the wad yet, so this fix need not cover all that may need to be tweaked to assure smooth coop experience at all times.