Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Doom diorama

Does anybody happen to own that expensive limited edition Doom diorama?

We have an article for it now:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom:_Knee_Deep_in_the_Dead_diorama

But, no pics that are free to use. If any rich/lucky person can take one or more (a pic of the packaging and verification card would also be nice bonuses, but not as critical) with quality and setting appropriate for encyclopedic use, would be appreciative.

Quasar:

here ya go.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1o0m87yqk/

(edit: for some reason above gallery seems to be missing some of pics I uploaded, more close ups in links below)

http://postimg.org/gallery/1as6a5mxc/

http://postimg.org/gallery/f1m1o8ii/

if you need any others, just let me know.

Also, rumors of a Doom 2 boxart diorama to be released sometime soon.

Additional info: (2) editions.. exclusive and standard. exclusive has internal led lights that make the lava glow randomly and is powered by AA batteries, switch in back. Diorama is also extremely fragile... easily broken figures if no care is taken in handling and unwrapping. Internal magnets in the figures hold them to the base structure.

Doominator2 said:

I feel weird that I initially read the title as "Doom diarrhea"

I did too.....

I don't really like it. It seems to lack the illustrious character that the original Ultimate Doom poster has. The monsters look more.. well. retarded than having some frightening insatiable hunger, and the doom guy looks kinda wimpy and unenthused with the situation.

It's cool that it lights up though, but the matrix style bullet rings are silly and i feel like the muzzle flare doesn't glow as bright as it probably should.

Marnetmar said:

Congratulations, you wasted hundreds of dollars.

Nah, it showed up like that (broken in shipping). They sent me a non-damaged replacement.

I'm not joking. That diorama is EXTREMELY fragile. If anyone here orders one (or especially if they buy one off a reseller), make absolutely sure to check that and unwrap with extreme care. Slightest ding/bang against anything, and you'll be breaking fingers, arms, etc. Also take this into consideration when purchasing one previously owned... that if seller does not pack correctly, expect it to arrive in pieces. Whatever resin cast/mold they used... it's very weak stuff.

Ouch. Bethesda Spared no Expense? They don't seem to be on Beth's actual store anymore, anyways. They removed a couple Doom and Wolf related things, apparently making room for more Fallout 4 merchandise. I also wanted that Cyberdemon poster they had.

It's supposedly polystone, and apparently it has a very bad reputation with collectors in general despite being formulated with the idea of being a stronger material than some other alternatives.

It is extremely fragile which I expected. The only thing I was disappointed with was they didn't test the fit of the plastic fittings. On mine the gun hole wasn't drilled out enough, I assumed it was correct ended up breaking the fitting for the bullet/muzzle flare. Wasn't a huge deal. Super glued it back on (it gets hidden anyway) and drilled out the hole to correctly fit and hold the bullet. For what it costs stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Buckshot said:

Diorama is also extremely fragile

Now I know why I passed this up, that and the Baron faces look terrible.

I think it looks cool in low lighting but does not hold up to close scrutiny like these photos.

VGA said:

I think it looks cool in low lighting but does not hold up to close scrutiny like these photos.

It's the faces they really dropped the ball on. Everything else is pretty detailed & slick.

It does say "Made in China" quite prominently on the box. I think you can put most of the blame on that.

Quasar said:

It does say "Made in China" quite prominently on the box. I think you can put most of the blame on that.

Uh, why? Everything is made in China, that's no excuse for anything.

Linguica said:

Especially not when Square Enix's "Play Arts Kai" figures are also made in China, if my random Googling hasn't given me blatant misinformation.

Linguica said:

Just saying, so does my umbrella whose carrying strap broke the first week I was carrying it. I'm sure it depends on the manufacturer and suppliers involved but overall most things that come out of the country are just designed to break.

Yeah a buddy of mine has this thing. It's not even worth half the money Bethesderp wants for it. It's made out of a shitty wannabe ceramic that breaks at the slightest touch. I've already had to glue it for him to repair it three times, and all its done is sit on top of his TV. The paint job on it fucking sucks too and is sloppy as hell and the sculpt up close is really amateur. This is a novelty sculpture not something thats worth a $300 asking price. I've paid that much for a few Warhammer 40K kits, and they were way better made.

I'd only maybe drop 300 bucks on the two Jurassic Park Carnotaur toys if they were both MISB.

Polystone isn't super terrible, I have a Gentle Giant Star Wars statue in Polystone, and it's fairly sturdy, but at the same time it doesn't have any thing pieces, is made by a company that cares, and was only 60 bucks.

This Doom diorama certainly looks decent, but not 300 dollars. I'd maybe pay 50 to 70 dollars for the lights version. Anything else is a joke.