Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caffeine Freak

Rare Blood Moon Eclipse

http://www.space.com/30607-supermoon-lunar-eclipse-time-place-guide.html

Rare, once in a generation event happening tonight (9/27). If you're in the western hemisphere, you should have a view of it at some point. It's just as it sounds---the moon will turn shades of coppery orange (or red, depending on your vantage point), and will do so during a total lunar eclipse. This also happens to coincide with the annual point where the moon will be closest to earth and thus appear largest in the sky (called a perigee, contrast with perihelion, the point where the sun is closest to the earth). The last time this occurred was 1982, and the next time won't be until 2033.

Post your blood moon pics in this thread if you so please.

Seen it, right outside. Could've sworn there was an even larger-looking and spectacularly-colored moon just a couple of years ago in October. Certainly more spooky and interesting than this pooblood moon, however rare it may be.

Getting my 3DS and taking a photo and posting it on DeviantART.

EDIT:

Bugger. I must've missed it so nevermind. It's now a upside down crescent for me.

Jaxxoon R said:

Seen it, right outside. Could've sworn there was an even larger-looking and spectacularly-colored moon just a couple of years ago in October. Certainly more spooky and interesting than this pooblood moon, however rare it may be.

Yep. Remember that one too... though minus the eclipse. Think it was a huge moon that was clearly very orange/red.

I watched the enitre thing. Told a bunch of my neighbors to come out early in the day and they brushed me off like i was an idiot. But, come time of the happening, they were all out here lol! Weirdest part is..

When it began eclipsing around 9:15 est, the sky was so clear. More clear than usual for the amount of light pollution in my area. Sooooo many stars out!

Then we saw the peak of it. 'Super Blood Moon'!

Then as the white light of the moon started to show again and the eclipse began fading away, the sky filled with haze. A creepy small breeze is still going steady and I can barely see the moon at all... Strange...

Awesome night! Hope everyone got to experience this with people you care about. I live for this shit ;)

Us on the west coast of the US got shafted a little, as it had already started by the time the moon was visible in most areas. I did get to see it when it was dark-red-orange (just a few shades darker than Linguica's pic), and I saw it again when it was even darker and the bottom side of it began to light up, sliver by sliver as the moon began to move out of the earth's shadow. Very cool. I didn't get any worthwhile pics, as my phone camera is frustratingly inadequate, but I'm glad I got to witness some of it. :)

Caffeine Freak said:

Us on the west coast of the US got shafted a little, as it had already started by the time the moon was visible in most areas.

Damn man. Better than nothing though. I got a ton of pics. I'll post some tomorrow before work hopefully. I'm sure there will be a ton of better ones but whatever :)

We had a nice view of it. The place where we were standing was on the edge of the river valley here and there was a small crowd eventually because it was so accessible. A guy showed up with a nice telescope equipped to track the moon. He gave everybody a look. I forgot how mountainous the moon looks with a big enough telescope.

Very clear sky here (MN, edge of twin cities metro). Near totality the sky was full of stars, Milky Way clearly visible. Nice view of a rather orangey eclipsed moon. Took pics, but they're pretty much like countless others you can find online, so I won't post them. (Click on blog link for ones from last year.)

When I later took the trash out, the moon was amazingly bright. Could have easily read a book by it. Only a handful of stars visible to the naked eye.

At one point a plane flew right across the eclipsed moon, but I didn't have the camera ready in time (2 second exposure with max zoom isn't a simple grab, point and click...). Bugger.

Theres a hazy red blotch in the clouds where the moon is supposed to be. Cya in 18 years.

Got up at 5AM to see the cool stuff, overcast everywhere. Goddamit, essel!

I got to see it also. It was fairly dim here compared to what the meteorologists were saying so we probably had some haze from all the fracking ops :P

This may have inspired me to start writing my Castlevania fanfic again heheh.

GreyGhost said:

Meh - I'm on the wrong side of the planet and won't be seeing a decent lunar eclipse until 2018.

We got a cool one about 6 months or so ago, though! Only fair that they get a turn :)

Doomkid said:

We got a cool one about 6 months or so ago, though! Only fair that they get a turn :)

Yeah it's funny to see people living around Australia sort of complaining about a lack of eclipses (either kind). I'm convinced more happen in that part of the world than anywhere else :)