Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron_of_Hell

Drop a Monster, Pick a Monster

Just to kill time, which monster would you least like to see make it into the new Doom game?

My opinion is the Spectre. Those things are just damn annoying!

Also, which baddie would you most like to see converted into the new Doom?

Of course, I'll have to say the Baron of Hell.

Baron_of_Hell said:

My opinion is the Spectre. Those things are just damn annoying!

Well, Doom 3 is going to be dark, and ID is looking to scare the crap out of you. What better to make a wet spot and a brown stain in your pants than an almost invisible monster taking bites out of you in a dark room and you can't see the damn thing.

I'd say scrap the PE, but the new Lost Souls present an opportunity to make the PE cooler to fight so I dunno.

Now, it'd be easier if id just kept all of the old enemies plus added new ones - it's not impossible that they might do that, but so far, there's a possibility that they'll drop some of the old ones (they said that they kept "some of them", but "some of them" doesn't necessarily mean that they'll scrap a lot of the old monsties - might only be the ss, Commander Keen and the Icon of Sin that they leave out.

Hm, the old spectres were lame and not all that interesting to fight, however, there is a possibility that id made them cooler in Doom 3 if they brought 'em back.

Present Doom 2 enemies that I don't give a hoot about, but which others would be pissed about not being in Doom 3:
Mancubus: Fat, ugly, slow - I just don't like it. But thinking about the RtCW flamethrower, I could imagine that this one could provide for a lot of sweet eyecandy with its twin flamethrowers.

Revenant: I always felt that these were strangely out of place. Tall skeletons wearing ugly armour and some lame cylinders on their shoulders - their tracking attacks were decent though.
Since id have confirmed this as being in the game, they had better make it look cool and more, shall we say, demonic.

The SS-nazi of course as well as the spectres.

I would have liked to say the revenant, but it's already in.

Other than that I would like to see everyone else onboard. Well, i could live without the mancubus if they made some really cool mutated/cybernetically enhanced former humans instead.

GS-1719 said:

Doom just wouldn't be the same without horned-goat headed monsters.

one of the things that upsets me in the new doom is that the new monsters realy dont look like the old ones. pinky looks gay with robot legs, and the imp has 4 more eyes than the old one & also it has no spikes. most importantly the BOH looks nothing like the old one, no horns or anything.

one more thing, did anyone notice that in the 11 min mov the character shoots with the right hand, but holds the gun with his left hand when it cuts to 3rd person?

I'm not as impressed with the new monster designs as I would like to be. They look great for what they are, but I don't think they do Doom complete justice. This isn't all a bad thing though - it just means the players will have to get creative if they wanna see their favorite enemies of classic Doom on the new engine.

GATEWATCHER "one more thing, did anyone notice that in the 11 min mov the character shoots with the right hand, but holds the gun with his left hand when it cuts to 3rd person?"

Why the emphasis on minute detail to which the standard player will be oblivious to in any case??? why dont some people, rather than being overly critical, base their justifications on the fact that the 11min presentation was nothing more than a presentation and with the game being set to ship in over a year, has one contemplating that "wouldnt ID rectify those minor technical glitches or oversights???" that video shows doom3 at its most premature stages still begging for amendments, a possible clause to why ID didnt commercialize that video so as to hinder "unwarranted" first impressions which i see and read about so much. Those initial perceptions may account for the substantial difference between buying and not buying a game. CAN you not comprehend that? so stop being so damn critical dammit. wait for the original title to be released and feel free to criticize.

doomedout said:

GATEWATCHER "one more thing, did anyone notice that in the 11 min mov the character shoots with the right hand, but holds the gun with his left hand when it cuts to 3rd person?"

thats how u quote btw...

doomedout said:

Why the emphasis on minute detail to which the standard player will be oblivious to in any case???

are u retarded, its pretty obvious, even to 1st graders.

doomedout said:

why dont some people, rather than being overly critical, base their justifications on the fact that the 11min presentation was nothing more than a presentation and with the game being set to ship in over a year, has one contemplating that "wouldnt ID rectify those minor technical glitches or oversights???" that video shows doom3 at its most premature stages still begging for amendments, a possible clause to why ID didnt commercialize that video so as to hinder "unwarranted" first impressions which i see and read about so much.

the guys at id i'm sure will fix that, i was pointing it out because i haven't read about it anywhere on the forums.

doomedout said:

Those initial perceptions may account for the substantial difference between buying and not buying a game. CAN you not comprehend that? so stop being so damn critical dammit. wait for the original title to be released and feel free to criticize.

Again i must point out your retarded. being critical is my right. if id didnt want opinions and criticism, they wouldnt put out a presentation would they? (i know i may not have as much right since i saw it illegaly, but the ppl at E3 for the most case have opinions that are taken more seriously than mine will, and if i noticed this left/right handed thing, no question they did too so it doesn't matter anyway) And, would i not buy doom iii because of inconsistancies between the left and right hands? my answer is yes i would still get it. its still a wicked good game. thats easily comprehended, isn't it? You dumbass.

What Difference does it make if the one we saw was a Barron or Hell knight they are virtually the same. now the only ones missing are
-Cacodemon
-Mancubus
-Pian Elemental
-Arch vile
-Spiderdemon
-Cyberdemon
And I really want to see the Mancubus the most especially after seeing how realistic that Fat Zombie moved during the close up while the Demon eat it's intrails.

I would love it if the Cyberdemon looked like the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. Huge ugly goat head with enormous horns, fire all over, and a stupidly wide body.

ShapeShifter said:

What Difference does it make if the one we saw was a Barron or Hell knight they are virtually the same.

Did it ever occur to you that id are trying to make the HK a bit different from the BoH?
I'm not the only one who thinks it's lame that the BoH and HK were really the same in the old game - the HK's new look holds great promise that at last these two monsters will be more like two seperate enemies instead of goddamn twins - and this is like the 666th time I mention this, read the other damn discussions on the same issue.

one of the things that upsets me in the new doom is that the new monsters realy dont look like the old ones. pinky looks gay with robot legs, and the imp has 4 more eyes than the old one & also it has no spikes. most importantly the BOH looks nothing like the old one, no horns or anything.

Did you really expect the monsters in the new game to look EXACTLY like the old ones? If they looked exactly like the old enemies, the new game would be a lot less interesting.
I like the new pinky (but I'd have preferred it without mechanical legs though) - it looks more than twice as mean and dangerous as the old one, not to mention bigger.
The new imp is probably the best translated enemy so far. I always wanted the imp to be a fast and furious creature and the 8 eyes it has now makes it look a lot more like an evil, demonic creature like it should. Screw the spikes, they were never really that important, besides, I'm confident that id willl make another spiky creture to compensate for the 'missing' spikes on the imp.
And the "BoH" as you call it is a HK, and I don't mind that they changed it so fundamentally at all - like I said above: This means that the HK at last has its own characteristics instead of just being the BoH weaker twin.

one more thing, did anyone notice that in the 11 min mov the character shoots with the right hand, but holds the gun with his left hand when it cuts to 3rd person?

Oh, I noticed that quite a while ago, but I was at least smart enough NOT to bother people on this forum with such an insignificant detail, as I was sure that the error would be corrected in the final release.

and the 8 eyes it has now

it has 10 eyes.... counted it myself :P

Lord FlatHead said:

I would love it if the Cyberdemon looked like the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. Huge ugly goat head with enormous horns, fire all over, and a stupidly wide body.

The Balrog alone would make a perfect DOOM monster... :)

hey gatewhatever i was explaining it in words and contexes that can be understood by people of your mental intellect so the sexual references were nothing more than extended metaphors and were important to put my point across.You can say thats my way of dealing with flaming retards like yourlsef. and yeah, I am entitled to my own opinions just like you have the right to be critical so piss off BOYO.

Oh shush. Now you have custom titles. Be proud. No user ever gets the one he wants down here.

Did it ever occur to you that the Balrog of the Lord of the Rings movie could be a slight cyberdemon ripoff. The horns sure did look alike.

And did it ever occur to you that the original Doom cyberdemon could be one in a row of endless Balrog clones (along with the bloodthirster of Warhammer and the balor of Dungeons and Dragons).

Hey, an idea for a Doom3 TC: The mines of Moria.

Cut it out children (gatecrasher and doomedout)...after all, it's just words on a screen, no need to get enraged over some pixels, unless you've got some personal text demons to get over.

On topic- I think I'd drop the Spectre and keep the Mancubus. Maybe increase his speed a little and make him have an alternate long-range attack with his flamethrowers, then we've got a winner IMO.

Little Faith said:

Hey, an idea for a Doom3 TC: The mines of Moria.

I'll wait for Hexen III for that kind of TC.

BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE IT EVENTUALLY, RIGHT RAVEN?!? RIGHT!?

The Hell Knight in Doom 3 would be the same as the Barron of hell from the original doom, think about it the barron of hell is just a stronger HK and in Domm 3 all the enemies are know stronger.

If I were to drop one of the DOOM(2) monsters, I think I'd drop the zombie guy (save the shotgun sargeant :P)

Fredrik? ARE YOU MAD? Then what will we blast dosens of to the floor at the same time with a single supershotgun-shot? Or run through hordes of with a spinning chainsaw? or.. or...?

Zombieguys are just fun, let them be :D

AIRmichael said:

Ehh what had 8 eyes or something? I dont know where you're talking about

"IMP" but it has 10