Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

Struggle : Antaresian Legacy (now available in /idgames)

10 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

...irritated by the high-pitched screams of the blue Ophidian variants.

...I don't like the slower reloading delay on the SSG, but maybe it's only due to the fact that you used the classic SSG sprites and that gets me confused and angry. You should use another sprite set IMHO, there are plenty of good SSGs here and there (you may wanna try looking at LegenDoom for instance).

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to adjust the sound by lowering the pitch. :)

Sadly, I couldn't find a place to get a double-barreled shotgun in my place. Keep in mind that I want to make weapon sprites of my own by taking pictures in real life for this wad, like the original id software did. Maybe I could make a model of it by myself, but I doubt it would look like a real shotgun, judging from my poor crafting skill. ^_^;; And about the delay of SSG, I'm pretty sure that the duration I gave to those frames are identical to the original SSG. But since many players have pointed that issue, I'll take a close look at dehacked file and see if there's a problem.

Again, thanks for the comment, and stay tuned for the next release candidate.

It looks fairly likely that we'll be playing through Struggle for DWMC next month. I'm getting an early start and have tried the first couple of maps. They are both excellent. I found a possible exploit map02 using June 24, 2018 RC1 version.

map02:

The red key area may not be operating as intended. When you collect the red key, it triggers a 30 second lock down intended to prevent the player from leaving the room during the enemy attack wave I assume. However, the enemies aren't triggered until the player actions the switch behind the red key and so the encounter can be easily exploited by picking up the key, waiting 30 seconds for doors to become unlocked again, then hitting the switch to trigger enemies and then running out and killing enemies from outside the room.

5 hours ago, tmorrow said:

......then hitting the switch to trigger enemies and then running out and killing enemies from outside the room.

Yes, I was aware of this one. Too bad that limit-removing doesn't support voodoo doll script, unless you use the one with explosive barrel. But then again, you still need to wait for 30 seconds, doing nothing, and then you need to get through those spawning monsters from 8 teleporters, right in front of the exit door. So I didn't consider this as an exploit that gives a significant advantage to the player. Not to mention that every player with no foreknowledge has never used this trick so far from their playthrough in demo files or on Twitch livestreams. But still, thanks for pointing that out. :)

10 hours ago, antares031 said:

Yes, I was aware of this one.

All good. I'll just point out anything odd I see, you can decide which if any need a fix.

5 levels in, and all I can say this is *outstanding*.

The gritty, grainy colour scheme and scanned toy guns, great decentralised level design, balanced gameplay and lovely deHacking making this Absolutely Great.

I want to see more wads like this, really digging people getting the most out of dehacked in 2018.

i've finished it in a little more than 15:00
never time flew so fast
so much fun to crack down those pinkies with hammer and berserk
even the red paint when taking damaged is better than the original one
music, maps, weapons, sounds, colors, monsters, secrets, the changes you made are awesome
and you took care of the details and it shows, nice job!
my only complain would be the last boss, map30 (i actually didn't kill him)
maybe removing the statues/turrets, make him throw all types of projectiles but not in a huge amount, while a tad slower
you stated in STRG_RC1 that you UV-MAX in 1:00, it would be cool if the boss would take much longer to kill, like 5:00 or so, with increased health and easier to deal with
well, all in all, it's an amazing blend of custom stuff, from other games and original doom
so 10 out of 10 for me

again, i had so much fun with Struggle and i can't thank you enough for making it

never had so much fun playing a game in years

thank you very much

Edited by Xibula

40 minutes ago, Xibula said:

...my only complain would be the last boss, map30 (i actually didn't kill him)
maybe removing the statues/turrets, make him throw all types of projectiles but not in a huge amount, while a tad slower
you stated in STRG_RC1 that you UV-MAX in 1:00, it would be cool if the boss would take much longer to kill, like 5:00 or so, with increased health and easier to deal with

First of all, thanks for the compliment. :)

I'm actually working on the final boss, to make it easier than the current one. The next version will be available before the June is over. Keep in mind that I've spent every available code pointers in DeHackEd, so adjusting behavior of the final boss is highly unlikely. Probably lowering the speed and buffing the HP will do the trick.

During the boss fight testing, I found it a little bit tedious, when the duration of boss fight goes more than three minutes, especially against the boss with ludicrous movement speed like this. So I'm trying to make it shorter for experienced players; less than a minute. It will still take longer and longer for blind players to figure out how to deal with the boss. And even if you're an experienced player, it will still take nearly five minutes to defeat the boss, if you don't use BFG at all.

Again, thanks for the comment, and I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. :)

map07 using June 24, 2018 RC1 version

Excellent Dead Simple style with more depth and complexity. Not a big deal but the final boss spider mastermind can be easily cheesed though by running in, hitting the switch to open the teleporter room and then running and hiding in the teleporter room.

1 hour ago, tmorrow said:

...easily cheesed though by running in, hitting the switch to open the teleporter room and then running and hiding in the teleporter room.

Yes, it is possible to cheese the fight. But only if you know where the switch is. :D

Struggle : Antaresian Legacy is updated to Release Candidate 2. Here are some changes for this version:

- Adjusted the following sound effects; Antaresia - Pain, Antaresia Elite - Pain
- Updated stock demo recordings

- DEMO3 is replaced from MAP25 to MAP23
- Minor changes in several levels

- Fixed an automap issue in MAP05, with no blue keycard door on the screen
- Fixed a bug that SSG has longer firing delay than intended

- Decreased the speed of The Inquisitor from 28 to 26
- Increased the pain chance of The Inquisitor from 1 to 4
- Increased the hit point of The Inquisitor from 22,000 to 24,000

Click Here to Download (RC2)

On 6/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, antares031 said:

So I'm trying to make it shorter for experienced players; less than a minute. It will still take longer and longer for blind players to figure out how to deal with the boss.

that's fair

am i an experienced player to kill fast enough? nope

am i a patience player to learn how to kill fast enough? nope

oh well xD

but i'm still frustrated that i couldn't kill the last boss

keep up the good work for the final release

@antares031

On map11 you can press the resurrector switches from here and skip however you are supposed to access the ability to press them (can do this for both switches):

nirvana.png.735b7db77443203bb0e856efe14c70d1.png

Edited by Killer5

12 minutes ago, Killer5 said:

On map11 you can press the resurrector switches from here and skip however you are supposed to access the ability to press them (can do this from both sides):

Ah, yes. Someone mentioned about this one long ago, and I thought it's fixed by increasing the width of the fence. I'll make sure to block it perfectly next time.

Many good maps, especially first and second parts up to the map21, also...

Spoiler

Interesting variation of classic IoS fight with a twist.. but all these projectiles tend to obstruct aim and slow down the fps, since you can't outrun other part of the boss.

3 hours ago, FearTheReaper said:

also...

Hide contents

Interesting variation of classic IoS fight with a twist.. but all these projectiles tend to obstruct aim and slow down the fps, since you can't outrun other part of the boss.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still adjusting the final boss to get a better result than the current one. I'll consider to cut down its firing rate as well.

Up to map27.

Can easily say this is my favorite 2018 release so far. Been fangasming all over Twitter on this project haha.

I found a small bug:

The Antaresia apparently has a melee attack, and it still says that a Baron of Hell killed me although they were scrapped. Screenie as follows:

PU3MAP5.png

Other than that my only "complaint" is that in most of the later maps, most big fights have at least one Archvile in them. They keep kicking my ass but I love it anyway. Is this sadism? Who knows.

6 hours ago, Terminus said:

I found a small bug:

...most big fights have at least one Archvile in them.

Thanks for pointing that out, Terminus. I'll see if I can replace the obituary of baron's melee attack.

And yes, later levels have a significant amount of arch-viles. I'll be honest that I used to hate arch-viles, but I admit that they can be really useful to make the combat more intense.

I have only had the chance to play through the first 3 maps. From what I have seen they are not too impressive but they are solid maps so you can't go wrong there. The second map took a while to figure out what to do because I did not realize that you put the blue key in the monster closet alcove. After looking ahead at the first rooms of the later maps I have to say you are a really good mapper. You emphasize detail a lot without slowing down the gameplay which is very important. I do however think that you try to over theme your maps with adding nothing but blues and greens. This isn't a bad thing though because it makes your maps stand out. I think that it is charming though that this is one of the most colorful Doom mapsets ever made. If I make tech maps I want to use this as inspiration.

2 hours ago, Xibula said:

whos "The Inquisitor"?

It's the name of final boss. :D

you forgot to add it then in the "STRG_RC2" txt file:

5. --- (Final Boss, replacing Boss Brain, o/s: Iron Lich from Heretic)
HP: 22000 / Pain chance: 1.95%
"Ignis Infinitus"

6 hours ago, Xibula said:

you forgot to add it then in the "STRG_RC2" txt file:

Ah, yes. I left that part blank, because I wanted to keep it some kind of secret in the text file. I can update the HP, which is actually 24000 in RC2.

Just created an account to let you know these maps are -amazing-. Absolutely amazing. Modern design, wonderful colors, over-the-top gameplay. To me its a bit like a -very- good mix between the architectural style of BTSX (Back to Saturn) and the wonderful textures, themes and colors and complexity of "Sunlust". Certainly one of the best 5 wads I have -ever- played. And I really played a lot. Thank you man! :)

However there is some technical feedback too (RC1 and RC2):

In Map 25 I cant get the red key because the blue door in the large arena wont open. Same thing with the arena which holds the yellow key. I can get the key but I cant leave the room anymore because the trigger for the bars is not reachable (here too a door won't open).

Probably thats the case because I can't help playing it with my favorite mods (brutal doom (64), project brutalitly, D64Stuff). Don't take me wrong here I do appreciate your approach with your own weapons and monsters but I am a bit the "conservative" type ;)

Except those I don't seem to have any technical issues

Kind regards

5 hours ago, kyolung said:

In Map 25 I cant get the red key because the blue door in the large arena wont open. Same thing with the arena which holds the yellow key.

Probably thats the case because I can't help playing it with my favorite mods (brutal doom (64), project brutalitly, D64Stuff).

First, thanks for the comment! I checked the MAP25 and it worked pretty well, and I could open the locked doors with no problem. However, I confirmed that, if you use the other custom mods, they might interrupt with the original custom monsters of Struggle with essential code pointers, making the player stuck in the level with no further progression. Since it uses the highly-modified DeHackEd patch, it is recommended to run a mod with no other additional mods. If this issue still exits, even if you don't load other mods at all, please let me know about it. Thanks for playing. :)

17 hours ago, antares031 said:

First, thanks for the comment!

You certainly deserve it! The more I play it the more I love it.

-Its a full Megawad with +30 levels (this is my favorite type of megawad).

-The leveldesign is consistent (much appreciated) and original.

-The architecture is just beautiful and rewarding. Just fun to watch!  Especially that "blue world" did it for me. 

-There is a consistent storyline that even shows in the leveldesign.

-Very rewarding gameplay, smart and unexpected ambushes.

-Wonderful detail, recurring and consistent concepts (i.e. the resupply rooms)

-The new textures blend in perfectly with the original ones(again much appreciated)

-The whole thing feels just looks and feels professional.

etc...etc...etc... Again: Thanks a lot for that splendid release :)

Those two-hands weapons looks interesting. If I had time for this wad. Maybe I'll try it soon.

Edited by riderr3