Ports Tested: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 3.6.0
IWAD: Doom 2
Map(s): MAP01-32
Par Time(s): None set
Music: All by me
Gameplay: Single play/co-op
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: Yes, somewhat
Build Time: Maps each took about 2 hours to initially make. Compiling/fixing/testing them all in this then took several years! Lmao!
Textures: Various sources, see credits below
Requirements: No jumping or crouching (enforced). Freelook allowed.

Download "Jiffy Bag" Final (3.2 MB)

/idgames link

Dropbox Mirror

Powerhouse Mirror

Jiffy Bag is a collection of 32 random maps made by me over the last 5 years or so*. The maps all vary quite dramatically in theme, and are similar only in terms of size and design - given the short time I had to make these in, my general approach to mapping is pretty obvious in how each map plays and is structured, but this should hopefully contribute to a well-rounded, consistent end product.

*excluding one which dates back to more than a decade ago - it should make itself obvious once you reach it

Included are:

• Maps for TTV!Zone Season 1
  • Maps for Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions 2 to 29
  • Maps for battleofthebits.org
  • A map for 32in24
  • A map for DUMP
  • Birthday maps
  • Random maps done outside of specific sessions
  • Map names that aren't quite so dumb as hell

All have received extensive balancing and other tune-ups. The set as a whole is intended for continuous play but pistol starts should be viable too.

The music tracks featured in maps 1-31 are all speedmidis by me, and you can grab them on my Bandcamp under the four 30in30 albums.

Credits for resources:

doom.wad

plutonia.wad

tnt.wad

mm2.wad

NiGHTMARE

Cage (cagetex 1 & 2)

Fuzzball (litextra.wad)

DrDoctor (drtex)

RottKing (koultex)

rf` (helltex, rf1024)

Psyren (psytex)

Jonathan Rimmer (erattex1)

elend (MAP30 sky)

Jimmy (jimmytex, jimmyskies, zoontex)

Screenshots (monsterless, click for full view):

m1O18xA.png

Full Maplist:

Spoiler

-- MAP NAME                 -- MUSIC USED (all by me exc. 32)	-- MAP ORIGIN
MAP01: Jamaica Base		-- "Cockney Dong"			-- made with/for jmickle's map theme generator page
MAP02: Salvation		-- "Knock It Off!"			-- made for TTV!Zone
MAP03: Brick-a-Brac		-- "Drop the Wombat"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP04: Ankle Grinder		-- "Ankle Grinder"			-- made for Battleofthebits.org
MAP05: Rainfall Processor	-- "Time Bomb"				-- made for 32in24
MAP06: Decrepit Cauldron	-- "Gatorade Nightmare"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP07: Mineshafted		-- "Minerals"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP08: Kitchen Nightmares	-- "Itchin' for a Bitchin'"		-- made for TheMionicDonut's birthday
MAP09: Battery Canyon		-- "Gary"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP10: Polluted Basin		-- "Torsal Torsion"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP11: Cryptology		-- "Unyes"				-- made for Abyssal

MAP12: Shell Out		-- "How About I Slap Your Bass"			-- made for Battleofthebits.org
MAP13: Protocol 1024 		-- "Flatulence Protocol"			-- made for TTV!Zone
MAP14: Chemical Depot		-- "Tar"					-- made for Abyssal (excluded)
MAP15: Waterfront		-- "Octarine"					-- made for Altazimuth's birthday
MAP16: Oranges and Demons	-- "Crunch Time"				-- made for jmickle's birthday
MAP17: J-Pad's Space Pad	-- "Technical Difficulties"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP18: Identity Theft		-- "Mighty High"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP19: Boxed In			-- "What If I Don't Want To Be a Punching Bag"	-- made for Abyssal
MAP20: Rectangular Prison	-- "Jello Mackerel"				-- made for Abyssal

MAP21: Insomniac's Night	-- "Mal"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP22: 'O' of Construction!	-- "Bastardville"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP23: Thrash Compactor		-- "Destruct"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP24: Fortress of Misery	-- "Reach Within"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP25: The Dome of Romero	-- "Sinister Waltz of id"		-- made for Abyssal
MAP26: Goldkey 			-- "Ampersand"				-- made for Abyssal
MAP27: Faces of Darkness	-- "Sol Plummeting"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP28: Sanguine Domicile	-- "Delay(0); Restart;"			-- made for Abyssal
MAP29: Fluvial Terrace		-- "Tungsten"				-- made for DUMP
MAP30: Fleshbrain's Domain	-- "Stream of Embers"			-- made for Abyssal

MAP31: Somewhere That's Green	-- "Potioneer"			-- made for Abyssal (collab with Alfonzo, who thing-placed it)
MAP32: Catacombs		-- "The Dave D. Taylor Blues"	-- awful map made with DeePsea 15 years ago

Enjoy and stuff! Criticism/critique/FDAs more than welcome.

Edited by Jimmy : Final release!

Cool maps. It's nice to have compilations. Many great maps get lost in community projects sometimes. I only recongize a few of these.

I have to ask, with the exception of Square, do all of your projects intentionally start with the letter J?

40oz said:

I have to ask, with the exception of Square, do all of your projects intentionally start with the letter J?

maaaaybe

In the spirit of lost maps.

I also recognize some of the maps:
1)is from jmickles66666666's map name generator, originally called "jamaica base"
2)from 32in24-14
3)from a battleofthebits session

Here, have a thing!

Download RC2

This one has the full 32 maps (almost no difficulty balancing yet, though). Geez, looks like I gone and made another megawad. :X

(Slightly ironically, this one took longer to create than Jenesis, despite all the maps being speedmapped in less than a day.)

I'd be very eager to get some feedback on this, as I'm sure a lot of these maps are filled with questionable, spur-of-the-moment design decisions which may or may not work in their favor.

I'm working on a credits lump. Big props to all those whose wonderful textures I pilfered over the last... ooh... 3 years to make these. D:

Enjoy!

zdoom only? crashes prb+

P_InitSwitchList: unknown texture EHELLSW2
P_InitSwitchList: unknown texture SW2ZOO
R_TextureNumForName: The file /Users/zach/Downloads/j-jiffy-rc2.wad seems to be incompatible with "DOOM 2: Hell on Earth".
R_TextureNumForName: WSTFNTB3 not found

I love Jimmy maps! Haven't touched doom for a while, might as well get back to it with this baggie.

interesting choice for a super-secret map. :P

in map 17, it seems to be impossible to escape from the pit with the red keycard pillar. i couldn't find anyway to raise the lift so i'd be able to get out of there. otherwise, everything seems to play just fine.

oh for Pete's sake, that's my bad again, I deleted the secret exit from that map (it used to be map15) but in the process deleted the control sector that lift was using which was for some reason up there with all the secret exit's sectors, not actually by the lift or anything, nope, in a completely irrelevant part of the map.

redownload sorrryyy ;_;

(edit two years later: heh, too harsh lol, I kind of warmed up to this type of map in the interim)

Map01 is the type of starter map that I don't really like. I'd rather play an otherwise identical map with absolutely no health but without that random scattering of hitscanners at the start. The mere act of getting plinked by something unavoidable is not very pleasant, even if it poses absolutely no threat to survival. I'd liken it to someone sticking their finger in my ear. By contrast, the blue key hitscanner medley is better, because you can avoid damage entirely with good reflexes. There are no egregious walls of meat in the map, but the accumulation of single-shotgunning some combination of pinkies, the hell knight, and (non-threatening) revenants also isn't so great, especially since it makes up a significant chunk of the map's combat.

The next few maps are a lot more pleasant to play.

Addressed, thanks Breezeep.

rdwpa: I'll go over the monster placement in that map - I agree it can be a bit of a slog in places. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey these are great! I played the whole set today, and enjoyed all the maps for the most part. I think I have a few things to comment on, including some spoiler stuff.

Firstly, from what I can remember:

-MAP31 man this is a cool map. Just the start is really rough due to the lack of health available. Although I was playing recklessly most of the time, so maybe it's alright.
-MAP27 might be a little low on ammo, but it's possible I missed something somewhere. I ended the map having to berserk punch the baron, pinkies, and caco, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also that face in the dark was hilarious.
-MAP25 was really brutal. The lost souls proved to be the most obnoxious in this particular map, alongside the need to manage the rad-suits in order to survive with the limited health provided. Maybe an armor piece early on could be considered?
-MAP23 is the sky supposed to be the bloody skull texture? AASHITTY or whatsitcalled? The editor was showing a different texture in the sky is why I ask.
-MAP16 the revenants at the exit have the potential to box you in once you teleport and it can seem a little cheesy since there isn't much indication.
-MAP15 just a heads up, the secret exit switch can be activated from the area below it.
-MAP13 the exit being right on the edge of the sector with the arrows is kinda sudden, and the revenant guarding it beyond is a bit difficult to kill because of it. Although this is just me being nitpicky at this point.
-MAP08 potential in co-op of someone getting stuck down in the backpack room by red key, although the chance of that happening is next to none.
-MAP07 I got lost here for a minute or two until I checked GZDB to see what I was supposed to do. I didn't notice the switch at the bluearmor the first time I was up there since it was on the wall behind me when I went up there. Maybe it could be relocated so it's a bit more noticeable? Just a nitpick again.

Spoiler stuff:

Spoiler

-MAP30 LOLWTF that exit room. I laughed so hard at first, because I notcied the "EIXT" signs and then upon hitting the switch I was again cracking up at the ridiculousness of it. Bravo. I do have to ask whether or not the door there is intentionally unable to be opened from the inside though.
-MAP28 so I rocketed the barrels at the end and I guess they didn't teleport like they were designed to. Unless the rocket pushed them in such at way that they didn't go over the lines, because afterwards I couldn't make my way past the teleport lines because they were all still active. I was kinda confused at first since I couldn't get to the exit but eventually persisted until I walked past them.

And if you happen to have about 4 1/2 hours to sit through and watch, I archived the stream where I played your wad with pistol starts on UV. Here's a link: https://www.twitch.tv/rayziiksenpai/v/62601382

Thanks for the maps, they were a blast and a good way to spend my Sunday afternoon! :D

Rayzik: Thanks for the review and stream! I'll watch it all once I get the time and take notes on what might need changing. Yeah, MAP31 is brutal because Alfonzo did the majority of the item placement. It's in fact watered down from his original placing of the monsters, there was a lot of health/ammo deprivation built into the gameplay which I found extremely frustrating. Sorry Fonz, I'm a scrublord. :<

I have no idea what's going on with the MAP23 sky, I can't find why it's not showing properly. At least AASHITTY doesn't look too out of place in its hellish setting. :V

I'll see about balancing and tweaking the other maps as per what you mentioned. Thanks again!

Lingyan203: Making it actually work in PrBoom+ was the first thing about RC2 I fixed. (Re)download it and run as normal. If there are still problems for you, let me know what they are.

I record a FDA of your wad.I recorded it on Glboom+ (I forgot to mention it in the txt file)

mediafire.com/download/nmryadl37p7yi1r/RoofiDemoJiffy22858.zip

These maps are really cool. :P

Rayzik, sorry, but I didn't watch all of your Twitch VOD due to uni, and now it seems to be gone. :(

Do you perchance have a local recording you can share with me?

Oops I meant to comment on this a while back. Anyway, easily my one of my favourite WAD's to date. I just love the small interweaving layouts, the clean yet architecturally beautiful visuals and easy going but still challenging game play. I have also never been one to get into the whole "storyline" of WAD's so the different themes per-level and humorous intermission texts sit well with me. The music sounds wonderful and I I find some tracks to really be quite immersive with their chord progressions.

I have beaten every level from pistol start, and there is not a single level that I didn't enjoy. I guess my only minor gripe would be that there aren't too many secrets, but that's a very small complaint.

Loved it.

Very happy to hear you enjoyed it, thanks so much! :D Yeah, I'm planning on adding more secrets, and the levels all need to be properly difficulty-balanced still. RC3 is probably gonna take a while to get out, but it should be close to the finished product.

I took a look through my recordings and it seems I don't have a copy of the stream saved (or any stream for that matter, for some reason...) Sorry about that :(

Argh, that's a pisser. I need to be saving streams to my computer in future since Twitch are so fucking delete-happy. >:( You might have to tick an option to actually save streams in your profile, or if you've done that already, manually save the stream "forever" (which I think is still only 1 or 2 years) once it's done.

Hello, everyone.

With Jimmy's blessing we will be playing this WAD for this week's Thursday Night Survival. The session starts tomorrow, 16th June at 19:00 BST. More details can be found in the Doomworld post.

You're all invited to join us playing this fun mapset!