Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Did Doom introduce the telefrag?

This is a sorta dumb question.

What I know about the subject is that Doom both introduced the phenomenon known as a telefrag and made said phenomenon famous.

But was Doom really the first game to introduce the telefrag?

Are you able to name any pre-doom games (not nessecarily fps'es) where you are able to execute a telefrag?

Telefragging being defined as: Killing another creature by teleporting into the space already occupied by it.

Wellll....since Doom was the first game with teleports......

could you do that in rott? I know rott was really the first game to have a rocketjump...

oh wait there weren't even teleports in rott, were there?

Well, AFAIK, Doom was the first game to feature Deathmatch of any kind, and as we all know, you are liable to get telefragged at least once in a multiplayer game when another person teleports back into the game after he/she was killed, and right where you're standing.
So yes, I think Doom originated the telefrag.

Little Faith said:

This is a sorta dumb question.

Not a dumb question,quite a good question in-fact. I'm pretty sure it was, though you never know.

Yes, I belive Doom WAS the first game you could telefrag people in.

Telefragged's definition and description :

The simple word "telefrag" can be broken into two separate parts. The "tele" is derived from the ancient Greek dialect meaning "afar" or "far off". An example would be "telephone" which refers to the ability to talk across long distances or from afar. The second half of the word, "frag", is primarily slang. Its definition, as a verb, is "to wound or kill a fellow soldier." As gamers, we usually consider it as to kill a fellow soldier. Therefore, "telefrag" means "far off kill" or to kill from a distance.

In a gaming environment such as Quake, the meaning is specific. When you enter a teleportation device and a person at the teleporter destination is there, that person will be instantly killed as your body invades that person's location. There is no defense to this, the sheer energy, power, and force rip the victim to bits. To sit on a teleportation device is to invite death upon yourself. It is foolhardy and poor playing tactics. Nonetheless, if you are the one to telefrag the victim, it is a very satisfying way to earn a frag as it is a humiliating way to die.

Bastards name Quake over Doom for the mention of the telefrag!? Bah, Quake should have been worked on a few more months before being released, IMO.

It probably wasn't an "official" term before Quake came out. But that telefrags were born with Quake, my ass!

By name perhaps - but by nature, doom be the daddy!

Spike said:

By name perhaps - but by nature, doom be the daddy!

How do you know Doom is the daddy, did you get a blood test done? Can Doom handle the responsibility of being a father of an inovation? CAN DOOM SUPPORT IT'S CHILDREN (hexen, heretic, strife)?!!?

Answer key : no, yes, yes.

Doom DM doesn't have telefragging, the player doesn't spawn on a respawn spot that is occupied. He can only telefrag monsters and cannot be telefragged by one, so you can never see a player getting killed that way in the game.

Waldon said:

Doom DM doesn't have telefragging, the player doesn't spawn on a respawn spot that is occupied. He can only telefrag monsters and cannot be telefragged by one, so you can never see a player getting killed that way in the game.

Um...I've been telefragged in DM before. I teleported and so did somebody else, therefore, I died.

Interesting question. Most other games from different genres and earlier games involving teleports tend to 'stick' you to the monster so you can't move rather than kill whoever you 'land' on.

Waldon said:

Yeah you can, using teleports, not respawns.

And if one of the Icon of Sin's cubes spawns where you're standing you die.

Waldon said:

I assume Waldon meant Doom SP or vanilla Doom DM. It is true that monsters cannot be transported through the teleporter when you occupied the telefragging spot already. I suppose he meant players cannot respawn at the same spots in deathmatches after their deaths to get fragged, but I'm pretty sure about players can kill each other by occupying one's spot by telefragging.

Jon said:

Interesting question. Most other games from different genres and earlier games involving teleports tend to 'stick' you to the monster so you can't move rather than kill whoever you 'land' on.

I hate games where you can get "stuck" in a monster, it's a big pain in the ass.

bigbadgangsta said:

I hate games where you can get "stuck" in a monster, it's a big pain in the ass.

Yeah yeah yeah we've ALL heard the stories about a monster being stuck in you before, quit running them into the ground. At least Katarhyne's stories about having a monster stuck in her are erotic and not disturbing.

deadnail said:

At least Katarhyne's stories about having a monster stuck in her are erotic and not disturbing.

To bad dsm won't let us write any more lemon fics. prower would be back here in a second ;)

Yeah yeah yeah we've ALL heard the stories about a monster being stuck in you before, quit running them into the ground. At least Katarhyne's stories about having a monster stuck in her are erotic and not disturbing.

Well dawg, BBG IS in NY..... and there are a lot of peeps who would be considered "monsters" up there by many.... so lay off him..... it's ain't his fault dawg! After them guys got him in da back alleys when he was 5...... well since the, he just can't help himself.

There, there, it's okay mah nigga, it will be aight.....

/me pats BBG on da back with a 20 ft pole, and prepares to run fo his life!
:P

P.S. I'm at work........... BORING!!!!

I think doom was probably one of the first games to have telefrags, but Quake was probably the first to explicitely name them "telefrag"s.

fraggle said:

I think doom was probably one of the first games to have telefrags, but Quake was probably the first to explicitely name them "telefrag"s.

I'm sure I heard it referred to as "Telefragged" before Quake.
Interesting to learn frag's actually a military term,we always thought it was the polite word for fuck.

fraggle said:

Not sure about this, but I think I saw them mentioned as "telefrags" in the little strategy guide book that came with the Lost Episodes of Doom, and I'm pretty sure that came out before Quake. Not entirely positive though, I'd have to find the book first.

Archvile64 said:

Not sure about this, but I think I saw them mentioned as "telefrags" in the little strategy guide book that came with the Lost Episodes of Doom, and I'm pretty sure that came out before Quake. Not entirely positive though, I'd have to find the book first.

I dont disagree that it was used among gamers and strategy guides etc. before Quake was released, but Quake was the first to actually use it in-game (afaik)

magikal said:

Interesting to learn frag's actually a military term,we always thought it was the polite word for fuck.

roflmao. You didn't know that a "frag" is a kill in military terms? Heh, how can there be a polite word for fuck? It's an impolite word......

Da_Esco said:

Well dawg, BBG IS in NY..... and there are a lot of peeps who would be considered "monsters" up there by many.... so lay off him..... it's ain't his fault dawg! After them guys got him in da back alleys when he was 5...... well since the, he just can't help himself.

BBG lives like 400 miles away from the actual city. I'm closer to Ralphis than he is to NYC. Scary, huh?

BBG lives like 400 miles away from the actual city. I'm closer to Ralphis than he is to NYC. Scary, huh?

/me ph33rs!