Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stealth Frag

Source pictures of Doom mascarons/gargoyles

After many years of painstaking research I finally found the source photo of all mascarons used in Doom as switch textures like sw1lion, sw1satyr, sw1garg. For all these years I was sure that these graphics come from some real existing grotesque and I search many albums and spend many days on researching graphics in net. Then one day I just found it! Just as I suspected all mascarons used in Doom came from one book. And all mascarons were located in USA (Pan is in LA to these days, Satyr was in Chambers St. in NY, I guess is removed long time ago and Devil/Gargoyle is some relief work ion museum in Milwaukee, Lion is hand - drawn). And you know what? That book came frome one of my favorite author - it's Stephen King's "Nighmtares in the sky - Gargoyles and Grotesques" never published in Poland.

Of course I used it in my long-time project when I try to recreate all Doom textures as close to original as this is possible. So here is quick work where I combined my old siwtches with source photos I found.

TheCupboard said:

Damn, the 1st satyr face definitely appeared in Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall as well.

Yeah, that's why I was sure, like Reinchards, that they were sourced from somewhere instead of drawn "in-house".

The fourth picture is also the source for a Shadowcaster texture.

Speaking of which, is this face also in that same book?

Obsidian said:

I notice that Id software decided to forego the fetching gargoyle ears.

With these ears it looks like a cartoon caricature of W Bush.

No, but book have all mascarons from Daggerfall and more - maybe you recognize that sky...?

Now I know why Adrian and Kevin are so averse to answer fans questions - maybe back then in 1993 they could be afraid of copyright.

This thread is feeling entirely like the Twilight Zone, with that cloud image.
So many things are falling into place, even after more than 2 decades of Doom's commercial release.

TheCupboard said:

Damn, the 1st satyr face definitely appeared in Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall as well. Cheers for sharing your insight. I have an image of it somewhere on my hard drive... let's see

clicky here eh whaat!

The satyr image has also appeared in An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire:

Is that sky picture also from the same book?

Here's two more Shadowcaster textures that might be partly sourced from that book.

Also this one, which is also used in a Doom II texture:

No, this is hand-drawn IMO.

BTW - satyr waterspout exist to this day - is in the Rodin Museum:

About Shadowcaster/Doom II texture - after equally painstaking research I found source to it some time ago and I use it in my high resolution texture project.

This is clearly inspired by this work:
Athena and Nike fight Alkyoneus

Not that any of these show up in either game, but if this type of architecture arouses you as it does I, check out Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Bloodborne series. Absoutely Riddled with this stuff (along with very detailed and intricate archaic dark cathedral's and castles)... and it's breathtaking.

That's something I found lacking in the Witcher series, and I hope they add going forward.

Reinchard said:

BTW - satyr waterspout exist to this day - is in the Rodin Museum:

I was about to say "WTF how did I miss that when I went there?!" but then I looked it up and I guess that's the Rodin museum in Philadelphia, not the one in Paris.

Yes, is on the courtyard of Philadelphia Rodin Museum. It was renovated some time ago and loss little details IMO, but is still there, near the famous sculpture of "The Thinker".

OUTSTANDING!!!

Now all we need to know is if the tech textures also have a real life source. I have a feeling some do. They might even be pictures of structures near their old office.

walter confalonieri said:

Really interesting finds you've got here!

What game is that on the right?

Ken's Labyrinth. It's bad, like Power Glove levels of bad.

BaronOfStuff said:

Ken's Labyrinth. It's bad, like Power Glove levels of bad.

Except for the fact that he programmed it when he was like, 13. That squeaky sounding kid's voice you hear at the beginning announcing that you're playing Ken's Labyrinth is Ken Silverman recording himself :P

Someone should put lanterns inside the cavities for those mascarons' eyes and mouths…

printz said:

Someone should put lanterns inside the cavities for those mascarons' eyes and mouths…

And small update of the "satyr" (which isn't exactly satyr, I dont know, maybe this supposed to be Poseidon?)