Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riki2321

Is there any port for doom for android?

I want to play doom on my tablet, if someone knows of one. please tell :)

please make sure it lets you choose pwad and iwad too!

Go to Google Play and just search for DOOM! Rule out that possibility before making a thread about it.

Chu said:

Go to Google Play and just search for DOOM! Rule out that possibility before making a thread about it.

DOSBOX, i found dosbox, ima install that. how to play doom in a dosbox?

What a rude reply.

See this? No real Doom ports available. Maybe D-GLES though it looks a bit weird (I think I tried it previously).

There used to be a port by Beloko. Maybe you can find his APKs on the internet, away from Google Play?

Chu said:

Please don't be rude.

fraggle said:

Please don't be rude.

Sorry everyone! That did come off a bit poisonous. But my original point still stands.

@printz: D-GLES is a "real" Doom port. Not sure what defines real or not other than DGLES uses shaders a lot, it still functions just fine.

Yeah, fellowzdoomer uses a PrBoom fork for Android I'm pretty sure. Probably going to be the best option, from the screenshots it looks like a clean port. I'll ask him about it next time I see him online.

That PrBoom+ fork can be downloaded using F-Droid, I think

Both of them are libre

D-Touch is definitely very good if you're looking for more advanced source port functionality and it also comes with PrBoom and Chocolate if you just want something more simple. Of course, since most ports include PrBoom, it's mostly GZDoom that would justify the price tag.

I wish people were able to make free Doom source ports for android. I'm guessing that the software required for making android apps costs?

Avoozl said:

I wish people were able to make free Doom source ports for android. I'm guessing that the software required for making android apps costs?

It's mostly that putting them on the marketplace costs.

Odd, there used to be free source ports of PrBoom on Google Play, they seem to have vanished for some reason. Kind of funny how the free source port for Doom 3 is still there.

Gez said:

It's mostly that putting them on the marketplace costs.

I think you only have to pay once a symbolic price to publish to Google Play. I haven't been asked to pay again.

I guess uploaders tend to charge because they can easily do it (though now you have to give away your home or business address as a guarantee), and it's likely for the customer to buy without questioning why (it's a store!), unlike the largely free practice of downloading zips from the web.

On a tangent: playing Doom on the phone has the drawback of draining its already short battery, besides the controls being too difficult to use. There's also the problem of sounds being turned off so you don't bother others. How much do you play Doom on your phones?

By far the worst part is lack of synchronization of savegames. I'd be much more likely to play on mobile if I could continue what I started on PC, for example, and later return to it with what I played on my phone. I already do it on PCs, using a combination of Dropbox and DOSBox and being limited to vanilla Doom, but only on PC because the phone/tablet default Dropbox doesn't auto sync.

If you have the apk of beloko's DTouch then you are set to go. It's not nuclear science.

I use something called AnDoom or something like that.

Buggy pile of shit with no music but it gets the job done.

Don't ask where I got it because I don't know and I am honestly worried about that fact.

Doomkid said:

Yeah, fellowzdoomer uses a PrBoom fork for Android I'm pretty sure. Probably going to be the best option, from the screenshots it looks like a clean port. I'll ask him about it next time I see him online.

Sounds like a great alternative, I will have a look for that myself.

I just made a thread about this.

I have Doom working on the Retroarch app (through the PRBoom module). All the Doom releases work but not Heretic or Hexen. Be sure to put PRDOOM.WAD in the same directory as your IWADS. Retroarch also has support for a few dozen other platforms, including DOSBox.

General advice: touchpad controls suck all day long. Use a Bluetooth controller.

Bucket said:

I have Doom working on the Retroarch app (through the PRBoom module). All the Doom releases work but not Heretic or Hexen.

IIRC, PRBoom does not have Heretic or Hexen support; it's for Doom only.

Well, let's see what I tried myself:

Google Play
-D-Gles Demo(you can buy it if you want...too modern effects)
-DosBox(why not?)

Outside sources
-Original Doom(nothing more than an crappy emulator)
-Prboom Doom(not bad but no strafing and horrible turning controls)
-Doom(its got potentional but turning is glitchy. Found on one of the code.google pages)
-D-Touch(error when downloading update so didn't run. Maybe you know the answer)

You know, ios ports offer better Doom gaming(I know).

D-Touch was removed from Google Play for some reason but it's on the Amazon App Store. I'm surprised DoomGLES has these kinds of effects, though, like pixel shaders and refraction on the water. Even GZDoom can't do that.

D-GLES works fine on a mobile device but the sensitivity is far too low for use on a tablet.

MetroidJunkie said:

I'm surprised DoomGLES has these kinds of effects, though, like pixel shaders and refraction on the water. Even GZDoom can't do that.

I hope you know that GZDoom doesn't have the highest graphical fidelity of any Doom port. There are many others which look a lot better from a graphics standpoint, like Doomsday, which I'm assuming is what GLES is based on.

I know there are certain things that some source ports can do that GZDoom doesn't support like model shading but things like pixel shading are supposedly beyond Doom's capacity due to its sector lighting. Unless it was written from scratch.

MetroidJunkie said:

I know there are certain things that some source ports can do that GZDoom doesn't support like model shading but things like pixel shading are supposedly beyond Doom's capacity due to its sector lighting. Unless it was written from scratch.

Which is ironic, because a lot of Doom's visual effects and processing, occurs on a pixel-by-pixel basis, which is what pixel shaders are meant for, e.g. the invisibility map effect. Now, a hybrid between the software and a hardware renderer, using pixel shaders within column drawing functions, would be awesome.

The only other "source port" of Doom I know of that has such advanced effects is GMDoom because it's basically inserting the Doom engine into Garry's Mod, that already happens to have those effects in it. So, it's feasible to get advanced effects in Doom if you essentially make or use an engine that already has them and then inject Doom into it. Since Doom 3's ID Tech 4 engine is capable of advanced effects and also open sourced by ID, perhaps it could be a potential candidate. Not that I'd know anything about programming, it's just a theory.

Most of Doom sourceports on Play Store suck, get D-Touch (GZDoom,PrBoom+ And Chocolate doom at same time) from Amazon appstore instead, I suppose you couldn't update the one you got because you haven't got it from Amazon appstore .
More infos about the Port :
http://beloko.com/?page=game_doom
Link on Amazon appstore :
http://www.amazon.com/Beloko-Games-D-Touch-Port-Doom/dp/B00ZV118YK

Maes said:

Which is ironic, because a lot of Doom's visual effects and processing, occurs on a pixel-by-pixel basis, which is what pixel shaders are meant for, e.g. the invisibility map effect. Now, a hybrid between the software and a hardware renderer, using pixel shaders within column drawing functions, would be awesome.

Again I have my doubts you really understand what a 'pixel shader' really does.
No, the invisibility effect can not be replicated with it because it requires read access to the actual render buffer and that's outside its scope. (FWIW, it doesn't even have direct WRITE access to the render buffer!)