• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duh

Quake 1 full freelook

All Quake engines support freelook.

On some there is no option, you need to open the console and type +mlook

Can do it in vanilla DOS Quake.

Create a file (use Notepad or whatever) called 'autoexec.cfg' in the main Quake directory with "+mlook" in it. This forces mouselook. Boom, done.

XCOPY said:

I see just a bunch of downloads on that page. Where is the answer?

EDIT: Oh, your question was just to find one port with certain specifics. I thought you were asking for a list of all ports that allow full freelook or a way how to enable it in them.

XCOPY said:

Argh, read my last post again, please.

Okay, I reiterate with the logical conclusion I expected you to extrapolate to: it can be done in vanilla with this one weird trick so fuck it, that should work on everything, right? ;)

Jayextee said:

Okay, I reiterate with the logical conclusion I expected you to extrapolate to: it can be done in vanilla with this one weird trick so fuck it, that should work on everything, right? ;)

I think he's talking about increasing the available range to 180 degrees, not simply enabling mouse control.

Jayextee said:

Read Sodaholic's post or play the game and then come back to this thread.

Godling said:

Hasn't Quake always had 180° freelook? Even back in QTest?

No, apparently. It is like ZDoom/Duke3D freelook, with a higher range.

Even Half-Life 1 used the limited range as late as the Day One OEM demo. For those who don't know what that is, it's the first 5th of the game released to the public through some vendors, nearly identical to the final but is actually an extremely late beta version.

There was command in Half-Life, cl_pitchdown and cl_pitchup which were set to 89 (degrees) as default. It was fun to set cl_pitchup 269 and cl_pitchdown -91, negative mouse sensitivity, inverted y-axis, setup the screen upside down from video card drivers and play the game as normal. It made the animations/models quite buggy :P You could add different models on each movement key, shooting reload etc. too.

Jayextee said:

Can do it in vanilla DOS Quake.

Create a file (use Notepad or whatever) called 'autoexec.cfg' in the main Quake directory with "+mlook" in it. This forces mouselook. Boom, done.

I didn't know about this back then. So my solution was to bind mouselook to the Home key, and then put a small stone on it to keep it pressed down.

GeckoYamori said:

I didn't know about this back then. So my solution was to bind mouselook to the Home key, and then put a small stone on it to keep it pressed down.

Haha!! Me too!

I'm pretty sure +MLook is a toggle that stays on permanently without the need for autoexec files. I don't seem to remember having to type it every single time.

Depends on the engine. Vanilla doesn't save it in the config, IIRC. After all, it's just a player input command, it's not a variable.

Da Werecat said:

Not the best comparison, to be honest.

Not that it matters. They don't have full freelook, that is the point, yet people seems to think that +mlook alone does all the job for you.

To be fair, if you ask a really ambiguous question on a message board and get salty about a varied gamut of answers, nobody's going to have much sympathy for your plight.

Jayextee said:

Please re-read your post.

Yeah, the point is that you didn't really define your terms very well with "full freelook". Somewhere tucked away in this thread is a tiny post of yours reading "180 degrees" or something, but no amount of re-reading my own posts is going to make your original post any less ambiguous.

Please re-read your own fucking work.

Try being nicer next time and maybe I will bother giving a more extent explanation.

You be nicer. My first post was trying to help based on what limited and garbled information I could ascertain from your opening missive, and you've been salty since.

What does it matter anyway? Why do you really need those two or so extra degrees of pitch?

Either way, I apologise for this miscommunication. I won't be helping to turn this into a shit-flinging contest; I just ask your future inquiries be a little more explicit, and with clear context.

Now that is better.

Thank you for your efforts for trying to help out. I thought that the "full" statement would highlight what I was talking about. About the "higher" range, I just feel it is annoying, and I don't really seek for full vanilla gameplay. Sorry for misbehaving with you, through this thread. I will try to be clearer in the next time.

Da Werecat said:

Depends on the engine. Vanilla doesn't save it in the config, IIRC. After all, it's just a player input command, it's not a variable.

I think I was using GLQuake at the time. WinQuake had some nasty problems on my PC.

XCOPY said:

Sorry for misbehaving with you, through this thread.

Jayextee said:

I apologise for this miscommunication.

Wait a minute, am I still on Doomworld?