Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

UnrealScript 1.0 plug-in for ZDoom

I was planning to do an quick plug-in on ZDoom that lets you incorporate UnrealScript into scripting, like DECORATE. This will allow for complex behavior. Example:

//DECORATE lump
actor UScriptTest
{
    States
    {
        Spawn:
            TNT1 A 8 A_ExecuteUScriptFunc('CheckIfInArray')
            TNT1 A 3 A_JumpIfInventory('Yeschecked', 1, 'idle')
            goto Death
        Idle:
            TNT1 A -1
            stop
        Death:
            TNT1 A 1 A_PlaySound('test/death')
            stop
    }
}

//UNSCRIPT lump

var actor SomeList[32]; // defines an actor list of size 32

function CheckIfInArray() { // no (void) unlike ACS
    local int index; // defines this int 'index' only for this function
    local bool bfound; // i assume you already know it

for(index=0; index<ArrayCount('SomeList'); index++) { // a loop, starts with the expression index 0, loops if index is smaller than or equal the array size of SomeList and increases index by 1 if loop.
        if( SomeList[index]==CallingActor ) {bfound=true;} // if part index of array someslisst is the actor that call this function, then bfound is true.
        if(bfound) {GiveActor(callingActor, yeschecked); //if bfound is true give the calling actor the yeschecked so it will go to state Idle.
    }; //end for
} //end function. Note that function's closing bracket don't have semicolon.
This is done through a inbuilt UnrealScript compiler and a special DLL and a inclusion in decorate that will run the script together with the ACS when running a level, but it will be more interactive with DECORATE actors and may even make smart monsters!

It's not the first time that you announce a cool-looking project, but you haven't really demonstrated the technical know-how to follow up on these promises. So I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.

DECORATE is just difficult to put complex behavior in. Good scripting need UnrealScript. This is from Unreal Engine 1, it is, 1999.

4 Questions:
- Is this a proof of concept, or did you already modify some zdoom engine and tried it? (if yes, where is this "inbuilt compiler", inside this DLL? If no, what's inside this DLL? Maybe with some other explanations :) )
- Did you get the idea from this? http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32078 ?
- The UnrealScript EULA permits to use this scripting language (with the compiler) outside the Unreal Engine?
- Why did you choose this, instead, for example, for LUA or Python? I mean, IMHO, if we are talking about "good scripting" I think those two options are more advanced, since they are used everywhere (from games to AI simulators), maybe it would be more complex to put into Zdoom engine(s)

otherwise seems an interesting idea/proof of concept, and I would like to see more :)

This idea sounds like "Hey! I have an idea that is awesome!" that is never going to make it.

Good luck with your ludicrous dream.

merlin86 said:

4 Questions:
- Is this a proof of concept, or did you already modify some zdoom engine and tried it? (if yes, where is this "inbuilt compiler", inside this DLL? If no, what's inside this DLL? Maybe with some other explanations :) )
- Did you get the idea from this? http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32078 ?
- The UnrealScript EULA permits to use this scripting language (with the compiler) outside the Unreal Engine?
- Why did you choose this, instead, for example, for LUA or Python? I mean, IMHO, if we are talking about "good scripting" I think those two options are more advanced, since they are used everywhere (from games to AI simulators), maybe it would be more complex to put into Zdoom engine(s)

otherwise seems an interesting idea/proof of concept, and I would like to see more :)

1) A concept i've been planning.
2) I never saw that thread! I don't go to ZDoom forums since the day of infamy...
3) Now that you said it, I will check it later. although it is from 1999...
4) Because a) it is better because it supports states in code and has many things that made Unreal Tournament a best-seller, also b) I just recently learnt Python, imagine LUA!

Some caveats are now visible for me.

Great paintings are only great when they are painted.

You will have to delve into ZDoom's C++ code to do any of this. I assume you know how to write a parser/lexer?

You are playing too many games and posting every incredible idea that pops in your mind.

You aren't retarded, you are ....

You are trying to learn things too fast and make things that you can't because you haven't learned yet.

Gustavo6046 said:

DECORATE is just difficult to put complex behavior in.

Bout as complex as you're gonna get with this engine.