Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

New demon found on official site!

Possibly an armored cyborg Mancubus? Or it could be related to the Arachnotrons family (just checked its feet, it's more Mancubus). The monster looks quite Quakey. I would like to see a little more abomination and less tech, but I'm keen to fight it nonetheless!

Yah at 0:06/07 it looks to be an armored Mancubus or a Bruiser. So we may be seeing different variants on the same monster?

Whatever it is, it looks cool. And that's all that matters really.

Slightly off topic, but I have to say that although I'm a bit disappointed with the limitations of SnapMap, the prefab rooms look pretty damn good.

I'm fairly certain that is an armoured mancubus, nice find.

Could be the other cybernetic baddies come in up-armoured forms too, and the armour is ripped off using one of those 'execution animations'?

If we're dealing with armored variations, maybe we'll see an armored pinky that can defend against the chainsaw? Could be interesting.

It's 100% an armored Mancubus, but what if it's redesigned Mancubus)) Defenately looks waaaay better than previous one!

Armored variants impervious to execution until doom guy cracks that hard candy shell with really big guns? I hope that's the case.

I remember hearing that the larger enemies, essentially everything from Imp and up, will have slight variants to stop Hordes of them from looking too same-ey.
Slight color, shape, armor variations, etc.

The Civ said:

I remember hearing that the larger enemies, essentially everything from Imp and up, will have slight variants to stop Hordes of them from looking too same-ey.
Slight color, shape, armor variations, etc.

Where did you hear that from? I have seen almost every article and video I could get my hands on and never heard this before.

I do know that there are multiple variants of the Unwilling.

Probably part of a game mode, protect the base/demon or whatever those are called. Demons protect the Mancubus, Mancubus has extra armor etc..., humans have to rip the heart out or destroy it before time runs out.

There are also player icons around the map, including one exactly where the mancubus is. Maybe a player takes control of the Mancubus, 1 vs 10 or whatever.

For a while, I mistook it for a Spider Mastermind.

Speaking of which, I kinda hope (s)he makes a return.

DMPhobos said:

I think that it's just a mancubus.
Maybe there are monster variants?

Good lord, I sure hope so! I would really find it a bit overwhelming if I were being attacked by a dozen imps and they all looked exactly the same. How cool would it be if there were classes? You could have smaller, weaker imps--perhaps only capable of scratching--stronger imps that launch fireballs, and perhaps "boss" imps that have a more lethal attack. It's 2015; I don't see why there shouldn't be monster variants in a modern Doom game!

GoatLord said:

Good lord, I sure hope so! I would really find it a bit overwhelming if I were being attacked by a dozen imps and they all looked exactly the same. How cool would it be if there were classes? You could have smaller, weaker imps--perhaps only capable of scratching--stronger imps that launch fireballs, and perhaps "boss" imps that have a more lethal attack. It's 2015; I don't see why there shouldn't be monster variants in a modern Doom game!

Indeed, and i think that this may be the case.
On the hell gameplay there is a monster with a cannon on one of his hands, much like the ones on the foundry gameplay but waay stronger (strong enough to survive a rocket), maybe there is a "normal" and a stronger "hell" variant for some monsters? I really hope so

If I remember correctly DooM RPG had mob variations, i.e

Hell Knights and Barons became

Ogres
Hell Knights
Barons of Hell

Zombies would need some Variation as well, whether it just be maintenance, scientist and security variations

XLightningStormL said:

If I remember correctly DooM RPG had mob variations, i.e

Hell Knights and Barons became

Ogres
Hell Knights
Barons of Hell

Zombies would need some Variation as well, whether it just be maintenance, scientist and security variations

Well it seems like the HK and Baron in DOOM are now a separate species all together.

I expect a lot of zombie types. Not on the lvel of Left 4 dead, but I htink a few different groups would work.

1. Unwilling
2. Former Humans (classic style)
3. Former Marines (armored and carry heavier weapons)
4. Strogg (or whatever those monsters are in the foundry level)

Tritnew said:

I'd love to see the Bruiser again, he was the best monster In DOOM 3.

Oh yeah I absolutely forgot about this guy. Honestly I believe he is more suited for Quake. The very screen with Teeth would be like the Strog's basics understanding of Human intimidation.

Chezza said:

Oh yeah I absolutely forgot about this guy. Honestly I believe he is more suited for Quake. The very screen with Teeth would be like the Strog's basics understanding of Human intimidation.

I dunno, I think he'd fit.

Just remove the computer screen from his chest or face and there we go, It's confirmed that the story IS having the UAC doing experiments on demons and humans I believe. It'd make sense to have the Bruiser be a Demon/Human hybrid of sorts.

Linguica said:

<video controls width=800 src="http://doom.com/assets/video/snapmap.mp4" type="video/mp4"></video>

Looks like an armored Mancubus maybe?

Notice the texture popin when snapmap switches over from map editor to in-game in that video Linguica posted. Seems quite a bit like RAGE texture popin.

That's not really texture streaming, more like the LOD renderer taking a second to catch up to how close the camera is to things suddenly. Looks like it's just a few models catching up, and the lighting on those things.

Also I like how you've found something to nitpick about in what is essentially a flawless transition from wireframe editing to full rendering which takes about a second.

AirRaid said:

That's not really texture streaming, more like the LOD renderer taking a second to catch up to how close the camera is to things suddenly. Looks like it's just a few models catching up, and the lighting on those things.

Also I like how you've found something to nitpick about in what is essentially a flawless transition from wireframe editing to full rendering which takes about a second.

There's a reason I'm pointing that out, and I see that it went over your head (which surprises me, as I'm certain that you were part of a select-something a few weeks back, too). That video (and map editor) is not the first time I've noticed it.

There was literally no texture popin or streaming in the alpha test. All the textures loaded and displayed correctly from the start.

What's I'm saying is that tiny bit of LOD correction you are seeing in that video is literally nothing to worry about, and is pretty understandable when you realise exactly what they are getting the engine to do there.

Normally when the mad loads, it has a period of loading time where all those assets are pulled from the hard drive and loaded into memory so they can be rendered. Here, in the editor mode, it appears that the full models for every prop are not held in memory, so when they switch to the ingame view, the only time it has to fully load everything is the second or so of "zoom in" animation, and it's not quite long enough. When you load the level normally you would not see that.

Fun fact: GTAV has this problem really hard when you change characters and suddenly move halfway across the map (Say you move from trevor in the desert to franklin down in LS). The game needs 5 or 6 seconds to recalc the LODs and load the high LOD assets for the new location, and it disguises this by doing the "zoom out to mapview, relocate, zoom back in" animation.

Doom could pull the same trick, and make their little "zoom into first person view" thing take 2 seconds longer. Sure it'd look nicer, but it'd be frustrating as hell and it doesn't matter because it's just an editor mode.

Have I covered everything?

AirRaid said:

There was literally no texture popin or streaming in the alpha test. All the textures loaded and displayed correctly from the start.

What's I'm saying is that tiny bit of LOD correction you are seeing in that video is literally nothing to worry about, and is pretty understandable when you realise exactly what they are getting the engine to do there.

Normally when the mad loads, it has a period of loading time where all those assets are pulled from the hard drive and loaded into memory so they can be rendered. Here, in the editor mode, it appears that the full models for every prop are not held in memory, so when they switch to the ingame view, the only time it has to fully load everything is the second or so of "zoom in" animation, and it's not quite long enough. When you load the level normally you would not see that.

Fun fact: GTAV has this problem really hard when you change characters and suddenly move halfway across the map (Say you move from trevor in the desert to franklin down in LS). The game needs 5 or 6 seconds to recalc the LODs and load the high LOD assets for the new location, and it disguises this by doing the "zoom out to mapview, relocate, zoom back in" animation.

Doom could pull the same trick, and make their little "zoom into first person view" thing take 2 seconds longer. Sure it'd look nicer, but it'd be frustrating as hell and it doesn't matter because it's just an editor mode.

Have I covered everything?

Pretty much, yep. Though I'm curious as to why it occurred in RAGE so much? It seemed like maybe a VRAM megatexture issue? Though I know adding a SSD and high VRAM/page ram file kind of alleviated some of it, was it strictly the megatexture stuff causing it, or just sloppy engine design?

Because that's entirely how megatexturing worked. You'd never be able to keep all the texture pages in memory at once unless you had several hundred gigabytes of VRAM, so the pages stream in based on viewpoint. Idtech5 is the only engine to use this technology (except apparently idtech4 had it for a game?), so it's exclusive to RAGE and WolfTNO.

Edward850 said:

Because that's entirely how megatexturing worked. You'd never be able to keep all the texture pages in memory at once unless you had several hundred gigabytes of VRAM, so the pages stream in based on viewpoint. Idtech5 is the only engine to use this technology (except apparently idtech4 had it for a game?), so it's exclusive to RAGE and WolfTNO.

And if I remember correctly, the Megatexutres were already highly compressed even before hitting the page file for streaming to VRAM... where as, the original textures they used were terabytes in size, and to get them down to a reasonable limit for the commercial game, had to compress them down to 20GB's or so, right?

Sorry I know it's off topic, but think I'm beginning to understand how the megatexture stuff worked in idtech 5.