Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Doomworld Informal Composition Kickstarter #1

There's been some interest in speedcomposing events -- sort of like Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, but for music.

Participants will have an hour to compose a midi track. People of all levels of expertise are invited. Don't be shy, even if you think you suck.

Let's pick a start date/time. (Preferably something at night, US time.)

would it be the sort of thing that is themed, or just any old thing? not sure what would make interesting constraints.. "must be in the style of...", "main melody must use instrument X", "must contain N bars of time signature Y", "you're only allowed to use bird chirp and gunshot sounds :p"?

rdwpa said:

(Preferably something at night, US time.)

Good thing I can't make it anyway then, heh. It can take me weeks to create a single MIDI, so I'd probably produce absolutely nothing in the space of an hour. I hope this idea catches on though!

Yeah themes would be fun. The ASS lets you pick one of three themes, afaik, and that works out well because you'll probably not hate one of them. There are usually different categories of themes, too.

Some random ideas:

Formal: Use ostinato.
Rhythmic: Use a 3/4 time signature.
Timbral: Strings and drums. Use only track-10 drums, the string instruments, and the various drum instruments.
Wacky: Must use mod wheel >96 on a prominent instrument.

Eris Falling said:

Good thing I can't make it anyway then, heh. It can take me weeks to create a single MIDI, so I'd probably produce absolutely nothing in the space of an hour. I hope this idea catches on though!

I'm pretty slow too. Today I made this in ten minutes, though.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/954o202vtwgry4v/midtest1.mid

So I'm stoked about my chances to "improve" that.

If you could throw in an extra 30 minutes for guys who don't have access to a keyboard/input device then I'll be stoked. 40 speedmidis alongside composers who don't spend 100% of their time clicking and dragging furiously on the piano roll and events window has taught me that if I'm not the slowest artist under time constraints then I'm at least a little disadvantaged.

Or we could just fork over Alfonzo Time from Abyssal and let me wallow in my privilege domain.

I would fund John Romero is he had a Kickstarter for a new Megawad, or a smaller equivalent

I think it'd be interesting to look at specific maps and make music for them, although anyone familiar with the original music might have a hard time deviating from it.

I am, though I'm quite busy. If a time is decided on I'll definitely see about attending. :)

I did a 30-minute speedMIDI this week and amazingly it turned out not-awful, so I would be interesting in trying again (especially since an hour is more lenient).
Assuming the session is on at a reasonable time :P

rdwpa said:

That's what happens when I choose a name to fit an acronym.

Nonono, you have to let the acronym come to you!

No really, the ASS acronym was a complete coincidence.