Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

Reclipse Episode V released! [Version 5.1 released]

Woah, thanks guys! I wasn't expecting such positive feedback! I'm still watching all the FDA's, it's been an amazing experience for me haha I get a lot tense in some more tougher moments hahahah

I've fixed map 07 game breaking bug (oh god) among with some other small fixes: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wl1zk29a9o9yp3p/revclips-ep2.1.zip . Sorry for the problem >.< There was a "W1 - Open Door Stay" linedef with no tag that wasn't doing anything in prboom-plus, but it got you guys :/

Is there a way where I can search for linedefs on doom builders? (by number or texture)

Deadwing said:

Is there a way where I can search for linedefs on doom builders? (by number or texture)

Yes, in the Mode menu on top there's the Find & Replace Mode (or you can also press F3 by default).

I'm glad the non-linear layout worked up well there. Some levels were quite hard to increase some non-linearity since all of them (except 11) were totally linear D: I'm not sure what I'll next though. I am thinking in turning this into a 31 level megawad, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep player's interest for 30 levels. Anyway, if I do, I think it would be cool to have 2~3 guest maps to make things more interesting. What do you guys think?

gaspe said:

Yes, in the Mode menu on top there's the Find & Replace Mode (or you can also press F3 by default).

Thanks! Now I can fix the bugged linedefs PsychoGoatee mentioned. Also, if I remove the TITLEPICS (which gives me the "bad V_DrawPatch" error) I can run this on Chocolate Doom now, yay!

Anyway, it was really fun watching your FDA's, especially when you got access to the secrets. haha In map 07 I added a teleport linedef in the room where there's the chaingunn and lots of demons, making things a little more interesting when you access the room by the door. I've also fixed the sky texture on map 10 and the sector without texture (how did this happen? lol) in 11.

Memfis said:

Ok, this wad is getting seriously awesome. This is like the coolest current project right now: just pure DOOM exactly as I like it. Here are my FDAs for maps09-11.

Btw I just realized that I played everything with wrong compatibility level (Doom 2 instead of Boom) so maybe that's why the Map07 teleporter was bugged for me.

Woah, don't get your expectation way too high hahaha I don't want to dissapoint anyone! These levels were too easy you, you're quite skilled player and I felt a bit guilty letting so many medkits around :P I hope the bug in map 07 doesn't happen now regardless the compatibility level.

mouldy said:

Here is another continuous demo starting from map07
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qtyyi2xhb2qqxt9/revclips2-mouldy.lmp

This is turning into quite a cool project, it has that old school charm along with unpredictable non-linear layouts that give it a sense of nostalgia and fun. I like how doom 2 is starting to creep in and the difficulty is rising. I died on a couple of maps and didn't finish map11, gave it a good go though.

Good stuff.

Thanks Mouldy! :) You got unlock in the final death map11 D: The mancubus teleported and attacked at same moment, and you alreadly had control of the area. Anyway, I'm glad you have persisted a lot before giving up, and you've missed only one area before finishing the level haha. Non-linear layout help a bit in this too, since you can explore others areas making the experience less repetitive.

MAP07-08 FDAs, recorded with version "revclips - ep2.wad" from 2 days ago (I confused it for the newest version because I didn't read the last page in this thread). I continue liking the style a lot, great casual classic vibe, sympathetic and enjoyable. Only MAP07 irked me with its metal lifts that can be activated only from their top side but not pressable from the bottom, I'm still unsure if it's a bug or not, but I wouldn't be a fan of the design decision if it was intentional. Also, there was a non-damaging small pool of acid next to a bigger (damaging) one. MAP08 also had weird texture misalignments on crates, but those seem to be gone in the newest version of the wad (which I've just briefly checked).

rdwpa said:

Played 10 and 11 and will play the rest some other time. They were fun. Keep it up. Looking forward to the level 21+ difficulty!

Thanks! I don't know how much the difficult will rise up lol I wanna keep things fair and avoid bullshit traps and stuff.

scifista42 said:

MAP07-08 FDAs, recorded with version "revclips - ep2.wad" from 2 days ago (I confused it for the newest version because I didn't read the last page in this thread). I continue liking the style a lot, great casual classic vibe, sympathetic and enjoyable. Only MAP07 irked me with its metal lifts that can be activated only from their top side but not pressable from the bottom, I'm still unsure if it's a bug or not, but I wouldn't be a fan of the design decision if it was intentional. Also, there was a non-damaging small pool of acid next to a bigger (damaging) one. MAP08 also had weird texture misalignments on crates, but those seem to be gone in the newest version of the wad (which I've just briefly checked).

Lol I didn't notice the no-damage floor. The one-way lifts are intentional. I could make them two-way, but then I will need to chance the upper room layout, since the player would be in face with 2 demons + 2 arach. I think I need to work something for the two switches that open the doors too. I feel that the player needs some more clear feedback that he needs to press both switches to access the key rooms. Another way is to change the lifts into a hole, so they stay one-way and remove yellow key requirement for the door.

Anyway, you did an excelent job in the FDA's D: Playing on keyboards is no way easy hehe

Memfis said:

This got me excited, I was looking forward to playing more maps. Here are my FDAs for maps 07 and 08.

07 was cool: I immediately noticed that the levels are becoming more challenging, which is a welcome change in my eyes. Some entertaining fights here and there. Unfortunately something weird happened and I got stuck in a teleporter, so you might want to take a look at that.

08 was even better, I really enjoyed its nonlinear aspect and the slight ammo starvation, it was fun trying to survive and to figure out a good approach to the map. I also noticed a rather obvious speedrunning shortcut: I like it but perhaps it is too easy to perform. You'll see what I mean. More demos coming tomorrow I guess.

Lol That speedrun shortcut was awesome hahaha I don't know what really to do with it. I think it's now harder to perform it, but not impossible :P (I've just raised the passage floor height).

FDAs for MAP09-11, this time recorded with the actual newest version of the wad (2.1). The maps are fun, nice and easy (do not think they're hard just because I die :P), and like Memfis said, I also see them as "pure Doom as I like it" in a casual sense. My only complaints are texture misalignments and the fact that some rooms (even if just start rooms, or monster closets) get locked off the player's reach permanently, because I prefer maps to eventually allow backtracking everywhere (lockdowns are OK as long as they can be undone or by-passed, sooner or later).

scifista42 said:

FDAs for MAP09-11, this time recorded with the actual newest version of the wad (2.1). The maps are fun, nice and easy (do not think they're hard just because I die :P), and like Memfis said, I also see them as "pure Doom as I like it" in a casual sense. My only complaints are texture misalignments and the fact that some rooms (even if just start rooms, or monster closets) get locked off the player's reach permanently, because I prefer maps to eventually allow backtracking everywhere (lockdowns are OK as long as they can be undone or by-passed, sooner or later).

Hmm I see, I guess from a design perspective it's good to have all "walkeable" areas not missable. I don't know how you got killed in map 9 though, it was like the mancubus shot went through walls lol

Anyway, I guess I have lots of work to do to fix the levels :P A folk in zdoom forums complained that the levels abuses way too much of hitscanners, do you guys agree with that?

No. They are common but they aren't particularly dangerous unless you play sloppily. Besides, there's plenty of health and even the occasional blur sphere. I personally find hitscanners annoying when they can shoot at you but you can't see them -- the nukage map had this problem with the shotgunners under the soulsphere, but it wasn't a big deal.

Deadwing said:

I don't know how you got killed in map 9 though, it was like the mancubus shot went through walls lol

Yes, it's a known engine bug that happens relatively frequently in the game (read: neither rarely, nor too often).

Also, hitscanner usage was all OK and good, IMO.

rdwpa said:

No. They are common but they aren't particularly dangerous unless you play sloppily. Besides, there's plenty of health and even the occasional blur sphere. I personally find hitscanners annoying when they can shoot at you but you can't see them -- the nukage map had this problem with the shotgunners under the soulsphere, but it wasn't a big deal.

Oh, I see, thanks!

scifista42 said:

Yes, it's a known engine bug that happens relatively frequently in the game (read: neither rarely, nor too often).

Also, hitscanner usage was all OK and good, IMO.

I didn't know about that bug lol TBH, I'm only been trying vanilla source ports recently. If things goes right, I'll try to make eclipse work correctly in chocolate doom (I guess it's the source port that emulates Doom the closest to original expecience)

It's time to work back on some new maps for Revclise, after finishing Nevasca (which was kinda of a failure lol). Here's a sneak peak for episode III:

Episode III will probably feature 4 whole new levels, with more open-space and less techy levels. The ideia is to give the player some air to breath before the original episode III, which are more tech-bases in the style of episode I and II.

Since they're completely new, they'll probably be released of the end of february. I'll also rebalance the old levels, probably reducing the health quantity.

Episode 3 released!

It features 4 new brand levels (not on original Eclipse), being a transition between old episode 2 and 3. Screenshots are on post above, the levels focus on more open space with mix of hellish + industrial/brick feeling. You should probably finish all of them in 40 minutes:

- 12: E3 - Mining Camp
- 13: E3 - Village
- 14: E3 - Hellish Shrine
- 15: E3 - Decaying Industries.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/93nsn7qt1bklixf/revclips-ep3.rar

Tell me if you find any bugs or gameplay inconsistency. I'd love also to see some FDA's haha (I've just tested all of them on prDoom, should work fine)

Fdas for E3.

It was rather cool. MAP14 was my favourite, it has a nice spooky vibe. I think that all the maps need some rebalance of health and ammo. Especially on MAP13, and MAP15 could have some more supplies after that start when you go in the outdoor area. I didn't feel to finish MAP15 now but I'll eventually do it later.

Glaice said:

Is there a file that has all 3 episodes? Or does this have E1 and E2?

The current link has already all 3 episodes.

gaspe said:

Fdas for E3.

It was rather cool. MAP14 was my favourite, it has a nice spooky vibe. I think that all the maps need some rebalance of health and ammo. Especially on MAP13, and MAP15 could have some more supplies after that start when you go in the outdoor area. I didn't feel to finish MAP15 now but I'll eventually do it later.

Cool! Haha I'll take a look on FDA's. Some people complained that the previous episodes had too much health and ammo, so I tried to reduce on next levels, but it seems I went too far on the other way. I'll probably fix it :P

gaspe, I've watched maps 12, 13 and 14 FDA's and some balancing is indeed needed. Map's 12 initial area could've have some sergeants changed to Imps. Also the SS trap is too asshole lol I'll remove the Chaingunner and see how things works.

I think you did a very good job on level 13 and 14. The idea was the ammo to be scarce in the beginning of both levels, and then the player starts little by little overcoming the hordes as he progress in the level. I tried to give a similar feeling when I pistol started once Doom's II MAP10: Refueling Base, I don't know if worked though lol (I guess not). 14 and 15 have this only for the first area.

I'll watch FDA for 15 now :D

Usually I like the thing of pushing the player to go forward to get more supplies but on MAP13 it really felt too hazardous. On MAP15 the start is quite problematic, and I think that even skipping it and going immediately outside might be a problem due to the resources you have.

gaspe said:

Usually I like the thing of pushing the player to go forward to get more supplies but on MAP13 it really felt too hazardous. On MAP15 the start is quite problematic, and I think that even skipping it and going immediately outside might be a problem due to the resources you have.

I see, I think I'll move some ammo and health to the first area on MAP13 haha

gaspe, I've watched map15 FDA and you're indeed right that the beginning is too tough lol I'll add a green armor in the first area, change the Chaingunner position, so the player doesn't get too exposed and add some resources. Hope this will make things flow better.

RottingZombie said:

Thanks for the fun levels!

Here's demos of map01-map06 if you are bored. ZDoom 2.8.0. It's just for fun so don't feel the need to watch for bugfixes or anything. Though I did see a pinky get stuck in a hall in map03 if you want to check that out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilcwnhqz2mey134/roz_revclipse_map01-map06.zip?dl=0

Cool, I had fun watching de demos, thanks for sharing them! :)
I've fixed the pinky bug haha (he was between a line with monster block settings lol)

These maps are really good. Here's a casual "max practice" for map12, somewhat leisurely planning out which sort of route I'd use if speedrunning. (Despite the filename it's not an actual max -- I left before killing everything.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8ls3bza0b5b46o/rev12_casmax.lmp

It strikes me that a lot of the difficulty in this new set is route-dependent. I like that; the maps are sort of like exploration puzzles. The spike in difficulty is pronounced though, almost so much so that they feel like they belong in either a different mapset or the maps20+ slots, but that's probably the only bad thing I can say about them!

rdwpa said:

These maps are really good. Here's a casual "max practice" for map12, somewhat leisurely planning out which sort of route I'd use if speedrunning. (Despite the filename it's not an actual max -- I left before killing everything.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h8ls3bza0b5b46o/rev12_casmax.lmp

It strikes me that a lot of the difficulty in this new set is route-dependent. I like that; the maps are sort of like exploration puzzles. The spike in difficulty is pronounced though, almost so much so that they feel like they belong in either a different mapset or the maps20+ slots, but that's probably the only bad thing I can say about them!

haha Thanks rdwpa! Yeah, some routes are a bit too hard compared with others, like the SS trap on level 12. I'll reduce the difficult disparity between them, but only a bit. Hope this makes the progression feel more natural between levels 1-11 and 12-20. BTW, interesting how you've dealt with the map12. You took some routers order I never took before lol

One last FDA (had already played maps12 and 15 casually yesterday -- died a few times at the beginnings of both).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o0cv290dileuoea/rev14_rdwpa_fda.lmp

I think the health is well balanced. Misheard the rising-and-lowering YK floor as a potential secret. Could use a tad more ammo; I finished with only a few rockets. I loved the soulsphere secret.

Demo spoiler:

Spoiler

Yeah, I really botched that manc/HK/rev/chaingunners setup. Got lucky with the manc fireball rng. :D

Thanks, glad you liked rdwpa!
The invul indeed wasn't really needed, but I wanted to give something interesting to the player that wasn't that common, also a cyberdemon encounter would help to spice things up the wad overall progress a bit haha Anyway, I'm loving that each person who has played this is dealing with the cyberdemon differently lol

As for map14, it's strange that the ammo was little, especially when you have played very cautiously and didn't missed any pickups (I guess). I'll take a look on it. BTW, I planned to have that soulsphere puzzle secret solved differently hahaha Nice job!

Version 3.1 released: http://www.mediafire.com/download/znq1h93f05u21s3/revclips-ep3.1.rar

Changes:
- Levels has now custom names on auto-map.
- Level 1, 2 and 3 received very small visual upgrade, to look less dull lol
- Levels 1~11 received overall small balance changes: It's mostly nerf on health and ammo quantity.
- Levels 12~15 received the opposite, a bit more health and ammo. Difficult spike will be less noticiable now, but not that much difference.

Some update for Episode IV:

- It will feature 5 levels.
- Map 16 to 19 will be remastered ones from my old wad. Some of these stuff were some of the most uninspired levels I've made, so I'm doing really big changes to their layout.
- Map 20 will be a new one from scratch.
- Theme will be E2, tech base/hellish stuff.
- Enemy focus on Revs, Archies and Barons.

Pics:

Chill and easy going gameplay, I like it. In early levels I ran out of ammo in some points - even with secrets! Also you should try more non-orthogonal walls. I know its not a mistake, but just try something new.

NinjaLiquidator said:

Chill and easy going gameplay, I like it. In early levels I ran out of ammo in some points - even with secrets! Also you should try more non-orthogonal walls. I know its not a mistake, but just try something new.

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Have you played everything? Which levels made you run out of ammo? That wasn't supposed to happen, even though some levels require ammo management (especially on episode III).

About orthogonality, I like it haha As long as the layout itself isn't just a big square separated by doors. Some levels goes this a bit too far though, especially the first three ones, while the later ones have more robust visuals. Anyway, I'll probably do some small visual and gameplay enhancements, especially to the first 3 levels, since they're the entry point of this wad, and it needs to be interesting enough so the players want to keep playing it.