Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tritnew

So, I've Been Wanting to Play The Original PSX DOOM...

So yea, I wanna play PSX DOOM (on ePSXe, I know, It's a fucking emulator, but It emulates It pretty well). But since my controller broke, I'm forced to play It on the keyboard before I can get the money to buy a new controller. So I'm wondering what the best key configurations for the game would be, I've made the colored buttons WSAD, with L1 and R1 the E and R keys.

I did this mainly for PaRappa The Rapper, I've been trying It with DOOM and It doesn't feel right, got any suggestions on some nice key layouts?

Jaxxoon R said:

People that know what a good emulator is use Bizhawk.

Huh, I did hear about It but never gave It a look. I'll have to check It out, hopefully It'll run Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown properly.

Up = W
Down = S
L1 = A
R1 = D

Left = Left Arrow
Right = Right Arrow

Tr. = Ctrl
O = Space
Sq.= R. Shift
X = Alt

L2 = -
R2 = =

Congratulations! You are now using a weird and wonderful config that sort of feels 'right' for playing (emulated) PSX Doom with a keyboard!

*In a 90's kid voice* WHOAAA, THAT'S SO... FAR OUT, DUUUDE (In all seriousness, thanks BaronOfStuff, you lovable Baron of... Stuff).

Jaxxoon R said:

EPSXE is for phlebs.

People that know what a good emulator is use Bizhawk.

Bizhawk is for TAS. Mednafen has a better PSX emulator

Never in a million years would I on my own think of grabbing DOOM for my PSX emulator, but with the idea lingering in the air I think I just might! High five to my PSX emulating bros!

But BizHawk/ Mednafen, you say? That really works better than ePSX?

gemini09 said:

But BizHawk/ Mednafen, you say? That really works better than ePSX?

Not really, those are TAS emulators. But If you use Pete's OpenGL2 with 2D and 3D games, It'll make the games look like a PS2 game sometimes If used with the right game, you gotta use It In order to get the visual tricks (like the Invisible wall In MAP1 and the windows In the DOOM II episode and Club DOOM).

Nictendo said:

While not exactly the same as the "real" thing, if you're going to emulate it anyway, why not play the PlayStation Doom TC? It is rather enjoyable.

I do have the TC, and It's pretty great. But the colored sectors are a little more lighter than dark (which I configured to be the same), I just think that the PS1 version Is more nostalgic, It sucks to play It on an emulator but I don't have a PS3 or a copy of the game.

EPSXE can't run Gex 3D's FMVs or any of Rayman 1 for shit, for example. It's all personal preference in the end, but I've found Bizhawk far more consistently reliable and with a better interface all around. So I stick with it.

Jaxxoon R said:

EPSXE can't run Gex 3D's FMVs or any of Rayman 1 for shit, for example. It's all personal preference in the end, but I've found Bizhawk far more consistently reliable and with a better interface all around. So I stick with it.

Eh, I play Rayman 1 on SFF since I find the Saturn version to be a little better. But I wouldn't shit on ePSXe for those reasons, not every emulator can run a game perfect.

Danfun64 said:

...and what's wrong with TAS emulators? Usually TAS emulators aim to be as accurate as possible, and they are usually (but not always) open source.

Mednafen PSX is considered very accurate anyways :P

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PS1_Tests

Note that accuracy comes at the cost of performance...

Oh, I don't have nothing wrong with TAS emulators. But I grew with the emulators I played on (ePSXe, SFF, ZSNES ect).

I still play my PSX copy on my PS2 once in a while. I got pretty far, decently into the Doom II section, but then I lost my passwords. Sure, I can generate new ones probably, but I liked working off what I had.

Pretty funny how territorial emulator fans are. If ZNES does the job, who cares?

It doesn't though.

It crashes in multiple places on Super Mario RPG (being literally unwinnable).

It also has a really stupid DOS-era interface, as iconic as it is.

In the past I remember when I wanted a Gamecube and I got a PSONE for Christmas with two games Disney's Atlantis and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro, I never really played it that much nor got any more games for it. I am thinking of perhaps getting the original Doom's for PSX so the console doesn't stay wasted but they are hard to find at reasonable prices now.

Avoozl said:

In the past I remember when I wanted a Gamecube and I got a PSONE for Christmas with two games Disney's Atlantis and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro, I never really played it that much nor got any more games for it. I am thinking of perhaps getting the original Doom's for PSX so the console doesn't stay wasted but they are hard to find at reasonable prices now.

You definitely need to do that!!

PSONE

It's actually "PSOne" ;P

I like the DOS Interface on ZSNES, It's kinda nostalgic, even though I wasn't born In the DOS era.

Also, I prefer Mother 2 over Super Mario RPG, SMRPG was still pretty fun though, even If I didn't complete the entirety of It.

gamegalaxy said:

I like the feature list:

• Simple plug-and-play USB connection - works with Windows XP, Vista and 7
  • Customizable with Profiler software (requires software installation)
  • Broad game support - works with popular new titles and old favorites
  • 10 programmable buttons, 8-way programmable D-pad
  • Broad game support - works with popular new titles and old favorites
  • Customizable with Profiler software* (*requires software installation)
  • 10 programmable buttons, 8-way programmable D-pad
  • Simple plug-and-play USB connection - works with Windows XP, Vista and 7

It's not a simple copy-paste mistake since the things aren't repeated in the same order they're first listed. 12343241.

Jon said:

Pretty funny how territorial emulator fans are. If ZNES does the job, who cares?

Would you use a <insert architecture here> emulator that changes how <insert instruction here> works in specific cases that is different from a real system?

GhostlyDeath said:

Would you use a <insert architecture here> emulator that changes how <insert instruction here> works in specific cases that is different from a real system?

Possibly.

Does <modified behavior> allow to work around a bug in <game>, enable some cheating option, or corresponds to some other sort of desirable feature in some cases, and do we get normal behavior otherwise? If the answer is "yes" to both parts of the question, then yeah I'd use this emulator.

Gez said:

Possibly.

Does <modified behavior> allow to work around a bug in <game>, enable some cheating option, or corresponds to some other sort of desirable feature in some cases, and do we get normal behavior otherwise? If the answer is "yes" to both parts of the question, then yeah I'd use this emulator.

No, <modified behavior> works around a bug in the emulator which is specific to only <game/software> because actually making <correct behavior> would break <broken hacks> which depend on <modified behavior>. So the end result is, instead of 1 <correct behavior> for every <game/software> you instead have a few thousand compatiblity flags and options for <modified behavior> across a hundred <games/software>.

Tritnew said:

I like the DOS Interface on ZSNES, It's kinda nostalgic, even though I wasn't born In the DOS era.

Honestly, judging by your post history I don't believe you were even born in the DooM era.