Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eod

Question about speedruning

Hey i'm new here and i'm not sure if i ask in good section. I downloaded doom 2 after many years and playing it for a few days. I watched some speedruns videos and i got a question. In map2 they somehow slide between the walls in front of this building with red key so they don't need to collect it. How do they do it? i was trying everythink and there is no way i can go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8j2zj-A5tE i mean the 0;35

While I'm no speedrunner and someone may need to correct me on this... it's called a "glide", and basically uses a quirk of the engine. The player is 32 units wide, and so if he lines up perfectly aligned with a 32-unit gap, he can slide through.

so you mean i have to stand perfectly in the middle of the hole and go straight between the walls to do this?

Your position and the direction you are facing have to be perfect. To do it as quickly as in that video is very difficult and precise.

Yeah, it's a very complicated trick with a lot of stuff you need to learn, I guess this post by Zeromaster is a good point to start from: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1414380
Personally, I never managed a guideless glide like on Map02, I can only do it when there is a wall to align myself to.

That kind of shit requires pixel-perfect timing. It's ridiculous. I bet it takes many hours of practice to master so it can be done on the fly for a speedrun.

GoatLord said:

That kind of shit requires pixel-perfect timing.

Unguided glide requires accuracy of 1/65536 of one texture "pixel", to be precise. :)