Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Voxel/Model] Calling all artists for support (WolfenDoom)

We actually all know that VOXELs are a great alternative to MODELs for retaining a classic feeling and still giving an object the look of real 3D. For WolfenDoom Blade of Agony in our eyes it's the perfect choice to combine Wolf3D stuff and the power of GZDoom to achieve the perfect aesthetics. On the other hend, low-poly models with low-res textures can do a similar job, so we have two solutions for the following problem.

Gez demonstrated this by turning the classic Wolf3D brown chair into a voxel variant. The improvement is more than clear:

So, next to the chair, there are several other props that would heavily improve from a conversion to VOXEL/MODEL. Instead of being flat with one single rotation or jumping rotations, the objects would melt with their surroundings and feel more natural. To make things clear: We don't to voxelize the whole project but a few objects that would definitely beneftig from such an improvement. The only problem: We have no VOXEL/MODEL artists onboard. And this is where we hope for some cumulatitve community effort and support, that brings the flatness to life, support from you people :)

The complete list of things (sprites) can be found here (some of them with a single side, others with full rotational sprites, so in some cases your imaginary is needed as well :))

Resources as Sprites: IMGUR album

Thanks already for reading this, we are really looking forward to any kind of support we can have. This thread will be also cross-posted at ZDoom and Zandronum to maybe get some more attention. Just make sure to check these as well before doing an object that's already done :)

Best regards,
Dan & the WolfenDoom BoA team :P

Well, I've been interested in the idea of voxels for quite a while. Finally bothered to learn & make one.

I've gone for a 'complicated' one to see where my skills lie.

And here's my voxel model:

These were produced in MagicaVoxel. Files are below, you may need to convert them so they're supported in Doom.

Please credit me in the project's readme text file.

http://www.joshuaosullivan.co.uk/misc/dragonfly-blockade.vox
http://www.joshuaosullivan.co.uk/misc/dragonfly-blockade.slab.vox

Wow, this is brilliant work, very well done Dragonfly, we will definitely use that and credit you for your work :) Thank you alot. If there are chances for some more, we'd really appreciate it :)

Tormentor667 said:

Wow, this is brilliant work, very well done Dragonfly, we will definitely use that and credit you for your work :) Thank you alot. If there are chances for some more, we'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks for the compliments.

I will likely chip in some more at another time.

I really need to get back to my own project and finally release it.

Note that the big weakness of voxels is curves. Anything supposed to be smooth and round will not be so. With pixels you can sort of cheat by playing with color shades to make things appear less pixely than they actually are (the magic of anti-aliasing); with voxel that's not really possible.

Tormentor667 said:

1. This would work (and look) better as a model (because it will need like 40 polys vs 4000 polys in the voxel model).
2. Was this even a thing in 1940s?
3. Do we even need more resources? I thought the point was to transform already existing decorative sprite actors to voxels.

MaxED said:

1. This would work (and look) better as a model (because it will need like 40 polys vs 4000 polys in the voxel model).
2. Was this even a thing in 1940s?
3. Do we even need more resources? I thought the point was to transform already existing decorative sprite actors to voxels.

1. Are "normal" models more "heavy" than voxel ones in terms of memory usage on GZDoom?
2. You'll find 'em with Astrostein maps.
3. As far as I know, that's the point actually. Maybe I'll need 40's brown/black sofa for my airship map.

Anyway, let's wait Torm reply.

Ozymandias81 said:

1. Are "normal" models more "heavy" than voxel ones in terms of memory usage on GZDoom?

What do you reckon?

Spoiler

Polys:

Voxels converted to polys:

Ozymandias81 said:

2. You'll find 'em with Astrostein maps.

I don't see how this fits into a futuristic environment either.

MaxED said:

What do you reckon?

I see how a standard model would work wonders in regard to efficiency, and if textured right, it would fit into the Doom engine nicely, too; but I don't personally know the true impact voxels have over standard models.

A possibly better way to test would be test it in the environment it will be displayed in - make a map which sequentially spawns sets of 10 voxel based models a second, logging how many seconds have passed. Keep this going until the game chugs. Then, re-test with md3's. Wait till the game begins to chug (maybe use a specific framerate as your 'measure') and compare the time taken, this should emphasise what kind of impact voxels have when compared standard models.

As far as GZDoom is concerned, voxels are transformed into models when loading them. The code to render voxels is the same as the one to render models because voxels have become models.

The main interest of voxels over models is that they can be displayed also in software ZDoom.

Gez said:

As far as GZDoom is concerned, voxels are transformed into models when loading them. The code to render voxels is the same as the one to render models because voxels have become models.

The main interest of voxels over models is that they can be displayed also in software ZDoom.

I see. So if the project is GZDoom exclusive, then Voxels are a bad idea. Thanks for the info, Gez.

Gustavo6046 said:

People isn't giving attention to my model...

Because you didn't present it in a format that people are likely to look at. Upload a screenshot or at least include it into a WAD. :)

@Gez & MaxEd - Thx for clearing that up from a technical aspect. I didnt know that voxels are much heavier than models in GL. Generally I am okay with models either, as long as they feel fitting with the rest of the resources in terms of the retro-classic look

@MaxEd - These aren't totally new, they are already in WolfenDoom BoA but just as they are - and these are definitely too flat in most situations, thats why models or voxels are a necessary improvenent in my eyes.

Dragonfly said:

Because you didn't present it in a format that people are likely to look at. Upload a screenshot or at least include it into a WAD. :)

But how do I include a MD3 into a wad? I don't use models...

Well it is a nice addition to the decoration of WolfenDoom. Maybe the Führer don't care with the comfort of his couch because he have ass guts...

Three things:
1) There is a site where you can upload models for preview (and download if you choose) purposes. It's a lot better than posting a couple screenshots IMO.
2) In Blender, there's an Edge Split modifier in the object's Modifier tab that can give that model sharp edges whilst keeping curved surfaces curved. The default "smooth" look bothers me.
3) MODELDEF exists for defining models to use in GZDoom.

Da Werecat said:

It's a tank! It's a crane! It's a... couch?

It's an inflatable armchair, just the thing for cooling off in the Führer's private swimming pool.

Return to WolfenDOOM
- Dopefish strikes again! A nice Dopefish easteregg in Return to WolfenDOOM!
I can make a Dopefish model if you want.