Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom 3, Doom 64's successor?

Voros said:

Just wondering. What if id want to give Doom 64 a whole new look?

Keep in mind , DOOM 3 was simply a re-imagining of classic doom .

I don't understand your question.

Do you want to ask how Doom 3 would have looked if it was a re-imagining of Doom 64 instead of Doom 1? Probably not much different since Doom 1 and Doom 64 share the same general setting, gameplay and bestiary.

Doom 3 aesthetically was closer to Doom 64 than the original classic Doom games. In that sense yeah I guess Doom 3 was more like a successor to Doom 64. Interesting, I never really saw it that way before until just now.

If you look at the art direction, Doom 3 was closer to Doom 1. Both Doom 1 and Doom 3 have the clean metallic tech textures, some blueish textures, some green and brown combinations (e1 textures in Doom, Recycling in Doom 3). Some of the Doom 3 textures are a direct reference to Doom 1, like the hexagonal floor tiles.

Doom 64 on the other hand had a different aesthetic: brown, orange and fawn base textures, some purple accents and so on. Diamond shaped tiles instead of hexagonal tiles.
So apart from the superficial darker lighting I see no point in this comparison.

I am not comparing graphics. Its the games and their purpose to fulfill. Doom 64 still had a scary atmosphere, while Doom 3 did that a whole new level.

Voros said:

I am not comparing graphics. Its the games and their purpose to fulfill. Doom 64 still had a scary atmosphere, while Doom 3 did that a whole new level.

This is more what I was getting at. True that Doom 1 served as a basis for design but the overall dark feeling was definitely an extension of Doom 64. At least in my opinion. Although I had forgotten about the similarities in the recycling sector. Thanks for bringing that up Tetzlaff. Doom 3 has a lot more in common with the original Doom games than people give it credit for.

DOOM 64 Is a continuation to DOOM II while DOOM 3 Is a remake of DOOM 1, so DOOM 3 Is a successor to DOOM 1.

doom12 said:

thanks to the doom rpg games on mobile. DOOM 3 is a prequil to the classic doom games.

I consider DOOM RPG 1 and 2 a spin-off to DOOM.