Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wallabra

Wolf3D archives

Inspired by \idgames, I done a FTP host which holds all files for Wolfenstein 3-D.
Hostname : wolf3darchive.orgfree.com
Username : wolf3darchive.orgfree.com
Password : GugABraSiL6046
Use these to upload files to the host.
Upload in idgames0\incoming, I test them. If they fail the rules I put in idgames0\rejected, else I sort them and put into one of the idgames0\archives subfolder depending on type.
Since idgames1 is for Doom and idgames2 for Quake, it would make sense for this to be idgames0.

I wonder how permanent of a host this is for what you would call an archive?

hm, you should harden the ACLs . An user could not write in the root of the FTP server, delete other files, or put the eXecutable flag.

You should consider put an anonymous user where:
- Can only upload files in /idgames0 directory
- Cannot delete files (even the files he uploads)
- Cannot change the properties of the file (If you want I can upload a bash script with a nice "touch myfile.txt" and call this script from url), because no-one wants eXecutable files in a public server (try to configure the mount-point with a noexec option)

Google is your friend, kiddo.

EDIT:
GhostlyDeath is right
11. Your account should be active. Minimum one hit per month is required else your account will be automatically deleted without warning. Sites with important amount of webspace used need minimum 1hit/day. There is a 10 MB file size limit. Do not try to upload bigger files than maximum file size allowed. Your account will be suspended or deleted without warning. Storage/download related sites are not allowed!!!

So we have 2 problems:
- An EULA problem
- The site must be active, otherwise all the files will be lost (since they close inactive accounts), and for an archive site it's not good.

EDIT2:
Calling a bash script does nothing, but nonetheless, executable files is a really bad idea.

You do know that you essentially just revealed private access to your web hosting area, over the internet.

Also files should be completely all caps or all lower case, since they are easier to type:

drwxr-xr-x    2 1028477    1028477          4096 Oct 10 19:46 Maps
drwxr-xr-x    2 1028477    1028477          4096 Oct 10 19:46 Misc
drwxr-xr-x    2 1028477    1028477          4096 Oct 10 19:46 Monsters
drwxr-xr-x    2 1028477    1028477          4096 Oct 10 19:46 Weapons
http://wolf3darchive.orgfree.com/foo

And on top of that, you are definitely violating the terms of service for your hosting provider:

http://www.freewebhostingarea.com/agreement.html

Gustavo6046 said:

<CUT!>
How to create accounts?

Well, AFAIK, since it's only an FTP access for uploading things for your website, I think there is no way to create FTP accounts.
You can always spend some dollars for having a real FTP space.

Anyway: there is always this: http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/news.htm , so why a modder should upload his work here, and reading the rules you put, all works become under a GPL license, when maybe, some assets a modder want to keep only inside his mod.

The provider mentions some dataase, maybe MySQL to use accounts, but I see one thinks I know how to make the anonymous account yet...

Gustavo6046 said:

The provider mentions some dataase, maybe MySQL to use accounts, but I see one thinks I know how to make the anonymous account yet...

Except the login banner says:

220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
220-You are user number 23 of 200 allowed.
220-Local time is now 18:28. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Also a 10MiB file size limit cuts the effective use of an archive if it can only have tons of small files. To make the most of the room available, everything would have to use max XZ compression.

Due to the TOS violations, you just cannot use this host. You should either selectively delete your account, rename it, and use it for stuff which is within the terms. Since based on the TOS for that site, they might just IP ban you for violating the TOS.

Cyanosis said:

Dome's getting updated/revamped entirely soon, since the webmaster/owner has been out of commission since 2013 or so.

That's good to know. I really hope Brian's okay...