Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Who has the best taste?

Who do you agree with most often when it comes to opinions on wads? Whose wad recommendations you can rely on? (you can't answer "myself")

You, Zahid, Cyber531, DeathevokatioN, Never Again, I also appreciated darkreaver's remarks about crates (criticizing their usage).

Kyka, Mechadon, Xaser and Eris Falling all make maps I generally enjoy.

Jim Flynn and Sverre/Soundblock are my absolute top map makers though.

Ragnor said:

Kyka, Mechadon, Xaser and Eris Falling all make maps I generally enjoy.

Jim Flynn and Sverre/Soundblock are my absolute top map makers though.

This is about people who recommend PWADs or share a similar taste, not authors.

Other than nitpick other people's post I can really help much. I usually stick to stuff that is acclaimed or play what DWMC plays. Maybe Dime has similar taste to me to an extent but he doesn't really influence what I play.

purist said:

This is about people who recommend PWADs or share a similar taste, not authors.

In that case, nobody. I only play what interests me, I've always been someone thats been shunned for liking games the majority hates so I pay no attention to group opinions. Its getting difficult to talk about Doom with anyone here due to how I clash with, well, everyone's tastes.

I'm not sure if I've payed close enough attention to anyone else's likes/dislikes to really be able to answer this question.

Honorable mention at least is kmxexii, even though I've only played maybe 10% of what he's reviewed thanks to modding backlogs. :P

scifista and purist have a way to phrase their thoughts, despite different taste in wads I always find insight in their comments.

Phml said:

scifista and purist have a way to phrase their thoughts, despite different taste in wads I always find insight in their comments.

Thanks man. I normally write on the assumption that nobody is paying attention, so this is nice to read.

I'll often download something I see mentioned in conversation regardless of who mentions it to check out later.

Which reminds me I still need to finish the Trooper's Playground.

you could say I trust the taste of j4rio, Memfis, Never_Again, Rizera and so on - I often find new Wads by clicking on DSDA demos, after all. I've noticed I usually check KMX's blog after I've already played a level set to see how experiences can differ so he can be considered a great influence but not a recommendation service, haha

Can we stop with the " What x is the best " or " x is better than x? " ..come on people! D:<

...also I trust the words more so of those involved in mapping, especially with experience. Granted I like to suggest wads to people too but many of which I've stumbled on and enjoyed...not everything has to be word of mouth!

kmxexii said:

my doom blood type is AB, the universal recipient

Reading this with my name got my hopes up, then laugh.

Do the cacoward authors count if I read them to find old/this years wads?

I maybe don't agree with them always, but I admire the huge write-ups of Demon of the Well. That someone can say so much about a single map is quite impressive IMO. There are others amongst the DWMC regulars that also do this, but Demon is the one that stands out there.

As to the actual question, it's not something I've ever given much thought. I'd probably have an easier time listing people I generally disagree with. I don't think my tastes are too far removed from the norm, aside from maybe caring about atmosphere more than the average person. I'm also more tolerant towards slaughter-style maps than a lot of people.

Ragnor said:

Its getting difficult to talk about Doom with anyone here due to how I clash with, well, everyone's tastes.

I think I've said it before, but I always felt Antroid had a similar kind of view on maps to you. Can't remember if you ever disputed that though.

FuzzballFox said:

Can we stop with the " What x is the best " or " x is better than x? " ..come on people! D:<

As long as everyone remembers that such discussions are subjective and their point is to exchange opinions, not trying to "proof" them or force them to other people, the discussions can only be interesting and inspirative, and that's good, IMO. :)

I find that KMX and I have very similar tastes (though I think he tolerates slaughter style more than I do). Like yakfak said, when I finish playing a level/WAD, the first thing I do is pull up KMX's review and see what he thought.

I'm still new to this community and I have grown to recognize authors but ideal reviewers or those who recommend are a little more difficult to point out, especially when we all have our own taste.

So for now I'm going with scifista42.

He has good knowledge of Doom Builder, experienced in reviewing, been in the Doom community for a decent amount of time and finally appears to be a balanced person. So if I were to ask him his opinion on quality, entertainment, aesthetics and creativity I believe he won't allow his preferences nor emotions take bias on a particular wad. Or I could of just said, he examines wads with an objective point of view.

I take recommendations from everybody, and whether it lines up with my personal taste is just a roll of the dice. Nobody in particular has my taste. There's no shortcut really, just gotta try it yourself.

scifista42 said:

As long as everyone remembers that such discussions are subjective and their point is to exchange opinions, not trying to "proof" them or force them to other people, the discussions can only be interesting and inspirative, and that's good, IMO. :)

True- just seems to be quite a common thing recently I guess~