Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XLightningStormL

Doom (2016) weapons

GoatLord said:

It's the future?

You have seen the gun right? It looks more like a collectors antique SSG rather than a efficient and futristic weapon. Plus, during the pickup scene, you saw that Doomguy was using his other hand to open the chamber, loaded it, then gave it a jerk to its original position (what style!). But after that, we just see the chamber suddenly opens after each shot and instantly goes back after its been loaded.
Plus, we all loved that motion of Doomguy opening it with his hand rather than the gun doing it for Doomguy.
Yes. I love it when it reloads.

Voros said:

You have seen the gun right? It looks more like a collectors antique SSG rather than a efficient and futristic weapon. Plus, during the pickup scene, you saw that Doomguy was using his other hand to open the chamber, loaded it, then gave it a jerk to its original position (what style!). But after that, we just see the chamber suddenly opens after each shot and instantly goes back after its been loaded.
Plus, we all loved that motion of Doomguy opening it with his hand rather than the gun doing it for Doomguy.

Doomguy is pulling the barrel open each time. He just does it really quick during gameplay compared to the initial cutscene.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Doomguy is pulling the barrel open each time. He just does it really quick during gameplay compared to the initial cutscene.

Nope. Just checked in slow motion.
the barrel opens after firing and Doomguy's hand underneath is seen to be removed, probably to get the shells he need, and after its loaded, the barrel comes back up again and Doomguy brings his hand back underneath the gun.

Voros said:

That's all I needed to hear. I was starting to roll my eyes going, "Oh lordy, is he really going to bitch about the realism of the animation in this crazy ass game?" But you're just commenting on it. I love it when it reloads, too. And I love the antique design of it. Little details like that really give me a lot of faith that id understands what we love about Doom.

GoatLord said:

That's all I needed to hear. I was starting to roll my eyes going, "Oh lordy, is he really going to bitch about the realism of the animation in this crazy ass game?" But you're just commenting on it. I love it when it reloads, too. And I love the antique design of it. Little details like that really give me a lot of faith that id understands what we love about Doom.

The antique design is the BEST. Glad it didn't get...buffed up for a space age look.

Has anyone noticed that the plasma shots don't leave a burn mark on the enemy/environment? It should.
If id Tech 1 can support it, id Tech 6 shouldn't be much problem.

I mean, it is hot scorching plasma, right? Hot things leave burn marks right?

I wonder why id didn't implement this...
I hope its because of Doom 4 being in alpha/beta, and not a choice from the developers.

Voros said:

Has anyone noticed that the plasma shots don't leave a burn mark on the enemy/environment? It should.
If id Tech 1 can support it...

Huh?

Voros said:

It's not an engine issue, I can tell you that. If you pay attention during the revenant gameplay you will notice the rockets leave lava splashes where they explode. You can also see such splashes if you pause at 3:12/3:13 on the pillars on the left (and you will also notice how it magically disappears during the revenant takedown, lol). It probably just hasn't been implemented for plasma yet.

ArchvileHunter said:

It's not an engine issue, I can tell you that. If you pay attention during the revenant gameplay you will notice the rockets leave lava splashes where they explode. You can also see such splashes if you pause at 3:12/3:13 on the pillars on the left (and you will also notice how it magically disappears during the revenant takedown, lol). It probably just hasn't been implemented for plasma yet.

I didn't say it was the engine's flaw. But I did expect to see atleast that.
I f id Tech(1993) has capability of burn marks, then id Tech 6(2016) should have the same, just with advanced effects. I hope you're right that the devs haven't implemented it yet.

Are you aware that the Classic Doom engine does not, in fact, support burn marks? I think the Doom Bible mentions bullet hole decals, but they were obviously never implemented. However, I do think there ought to be plasma burn marks. I was never fully satisfied with how, in all previous Dooms, it just kills them and that's that. Brutal Doom may be flawed, but they way it left enemies as cindering, burnt corpses after plasma rifling them, was extremely effective and I think we should see a similar effect in Doom '16. It would add a lot of positive feedback to the combat.

GoatLord said:

Are you aware that the Classic Doom engine does not, in fact, support burn marks? I think the Doom Bible mentions bullet hole decals, but they were obviously never implemented. However, I do think there ought to be plasma burn marks. I was never fully satisfied with how, in all previous Dooms, it just kills them and that's that. Brutal Doom may be flawed, but they way it left enemies as cindering, burnt corpses after plasma rifling them, was extremely effective and I think we should see a similar effect in Doom '16. It would add a lot of positive feedback to the combat.

Not exactly marks, more like decals.
I know its not possible on the enemies, but it is possible on the maps.
Look at the Imp's fireballs when it hits a wall... see?
The plasma rigle should have that effect too.

Voros said:

you mean that black burns the imp's fireball leaves? modern source ports allows that, the original Doom engine doesn't support those kind of things, play vanilla/chocolate doom and you'll see

Voros said:

You've been playing too much Zdoom, methinks.

Ledillman said:

you mean that black burns the imp's fireball leaves? modern source ports allows that, the original Doom engine doesn't support those kind of things, play vanilla/chocolate doom and you'll see

Ahh. So id Tech 6 obviously got over that problem right? It is the latest Tech engine meaning advanced features right?

I just BARELY found out that Id worked on Fallout 4's gunplay, and It looks EXTREMELY fun and smooth. I'm pretty sure DOOM '16's combat and gameplay will be just as fun.

Got a source for that? Post your sources people!

Also: Doom's weapon handling is already confirmed to be good and fun. The Alpha plays great. The weapons all feel nice, even if a couple of them are perhaps not balanced the best for MP.

AirRaid said:

Got a source for that? Post your sources people!

Here you go:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-gun-gameplay-built-with-doom-devs-help/1100-6430602/

"Since id Software is part of our company, the first thing we did was call them. [We said] 'alright, we're going to do this from scratch, give us some tips.'"
-Todd Howard

AirRaid said:

Also: Doom's weapon handling is already confirmed to be good and fun. The Alpha plays great. The weapons all feel nice

Yep. If anyone has any worries there, put them to rest. Game feels like butter. And I love butter.

Yea, sorry for not posting a source. Forgot about that rule. It kinda makes me wanna try out Fallout 4, but even It's suffering from terrible lag like Wolfenstein: TNO due to It being used on a old engine as well, expect updated.

Voros said:

I certainly hope id Tech 7 will get it right!

They already changed the weak plasma sound effect we heard from e3, didn't they? Hopefully burn marks are part of the plan.

GoatLord said:

They already changed the weak plasma sound effect we heard from e3, didn't they? Hopefully burn marks are part of the plan.

I will tell you guys what I think of the weapons once the Alpha starts. It is the thing I am most interested in.

You guys are getting really worked up about a tiny little thing which probably just hasnt been properly implemented yet.

Seriously, take a step back, and remember that every single thing you have seen of this game is unfinished code, unfinished art, with missing features and details.

Stuff will change. Stuff that you do not like might be fixed, and something that you liked in promo material might be changed too! Nothing you see at the moment is final, please stop discussing it as such.

AirRaid said:

You guys are getting really worked up about a tiny little thing which probably just hasnt been properly implemented yet.

Seriously, take a step back, and remember that every single thing you have seen of this game is unfinished code, unfinished art, with missing features and details.

Stuff will change. Stuff that you do not like might be fixed, and something that you liked in promo material might be changed too! Nothing you see at the moment is final, please stop discussing it as such.

The new Plasma Gun model should be evidence.

AirRaid said:

Unfortuantely, no confirmation on plasma burn marks have been said!

Obviously, lots of things are going to change, we're just wondering what it'll be...and if it will be awesome (pretty sure).

I hope you don't think they will confirm every little thing that changes or hasn't been explicitly shown.

AirRaid said:

I hope you don't think they will confirm every little thing that changes or hasn't been explicitly shown.

I know they won't, but it would nice to give small hints, even if they're hidden.