Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ETTiNGRiNDER

Website hosting woes

So, for the past two years I've been using Jimdo free site hosting for my website, and generally been satisfied outside of a nitpick or two. That is, until last night when I went to put up a file I wanted someone to test for me only to discover that uploading .ZIP files (and other archives) is no longer allowed for free accounts. Not a total surprise though not exactly the failing I'd been trying to plan ahead for either.

Anyone well-versed on this stuff have suggestions for better options? Obviously jumping from free host to free host is a losing battle sooner or later, but I'm not too sure about other options at the moment. Given that the pages (and the formerly uploaded files) are intact for now, I'm not in too much of a rush yet.

Considerations:
* Obviously, I'm looking for somewhere I can upload .ZIPs (or better yet, .7Zs but that's another matter)
* I don't need vast gigabytes (let alone terabytes) of storage space. The maps and mods stuff I have up is all for 90s-era (or early 00s-era at the latest) games and everything on the site currently adds up to only 45MB. I had foreseen the 500MB Jimdo free space limit as being enough for a long time. Given the choice between "lots of storage space" and "lots of bandwidth" I would probably pick "lots of bandwidth".
* The Jimdo site builder has been a double edged sword; the ready-made templates are nice but on the whole I'd probably be happy to trade it for something that lets me write up the site HTML directly with full control.
* It has already been suggested that I could use the Jimdo web host just for the web page aspect and link to files on some file locker site. I'm not a huge fan of the idea since file lockers come with their own set of issues usually, but I suppose it's possible if nothing better can be suggested.
* I'm not totally averse to paid hosting if it can get me a good increase on peace of mind that the host's not going to shaft me, but the only options I can really consider on my budget are "free" or "cheap". Upgrading to Jimdo Pro and keeping my current site address would be a $90 lump payment for a year and I find myself harboring doubts if it's really worth that amount to me. I'm not sure if anything reliable can be had for less.

I have experience with http://www.000webhost.com/ and have no complaints. Actually probably going to be going back to using them once I let the paid hosting plan for the site I own lapse.

But also, not sure why it wouldn't be a problem just linking offsite to your files hosted at, say, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, or some other cloud site—or even something like Mediafire or whatever. What, exactly, is your issue with doing that? Might save you some effort of changing hosts/domains/whatever.

BombChel said:

I have experience with http://www.000webhost.com/ and have no complaints.

That does sound like what they're currently offering is a better deal than what I have. For now. I'll make a note of it just in case the other deal I've been offered doesn't pan out.

But also, not sure why it wouldn't be a problem just linking offsite to your files hosted at, say, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, or some other cloud site—or even something like Mediafire or whatever. What, exactly, is your issue with doing that?

It would defeat part of the point of having a site (keeping stuff together in one place) and it'd be a nuisance--one more account for me to manage, one more thing for users to click through/view ads for/whatever to get to a download, one more thing that could fail on me if policies change. And I suppose some of the big names have made themselves more or less respectable but I still tend to associate all sites like that with the bad old days of RapidShare and MegaUpload and stuff of that ilk (or worse) that's still around.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

It would defeat part of the point of having a site (keeping stuff together in one place) and it'd be a nuisance--one more account for me to manage

You don't need an account to upload stuff to anonfiles.

Google Drive, MS Onedrive or Dropbox. Either that or host your own server and website, or find someone friendly like Bloodshedder who can do it for you. I wouldn't touch any of these other services.

Bloodshedder said:

I'll host you on youfailit.net, free of charge; SFTP access, get your own subdomain, even a forwarding e-mail address if you want.

I would recommend considering taking up this offer.

My wad shack is hosted on geocities.ws and they're great assuming you don't mind doing all the HTML yourself. Bloodshedder's offer sounds far more appealing, though.

I find with hosting you get what you pay for (to some extent) unless you have some contacts. That said, Bloodshedder's offer couldn't be better. Hop on it!