Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xfing

Which Plutonia sequel do you recommend more?

I would recommend Plutonia 2 more, for its impressive "modern" style, polish, and reasonable difficulty curve - none of which harmed the "Plutonia vibe" for me. PRCP, from what little I've played of it, seemed to be copying original Plutonia style including its "unbalances" (crude design + harsh gameplay at occasions), but this is subjective, and I admit that I didn't like original Plutonia exactly for these "unbalances".

I prefer Plutonia 2, mainly because of MAP11 (I like AV mazes).

But PRCP is very, very good.

I personally prefer PRCP because I feel like the level design is more creative, but Plutonia 2 is very good as well -- it's definitely better balanced

PL2 is great up until the later maps which I found frustrating from a casual perspective (haven't tried speed running them at all, and usually I enjoy a map a lot more when I know everything about it) but PL2 is also a "true sequel" to Plutonia, whereas PRCP is basically just an expansion set/"lost maps" kind of thing where the style is almost identical to the original.

Either way play both.

PRCP was definitely a great mapset. But I just loved the ending maps of Plutonia 2. It felt more like it retained the true spirit of Plutonia and PRCP seemed like it sometimes tried a bit too hard to replicate the feel.

Pl2's soundtrack is overall better, though there's still some really great midis in PRCP's soundtrack.

I believe pl2 should be played first, the design is just terrific and the levels are great to play in FDA (I still remember I fell in love with it with just one playthrough) and in all speedrun categories. Moreover, the music and the challenge that some levels offer are great!

That being said, prpc is also really good and fun to play, challenging too, but I just felt it like a normal remix of plutonia, no more. Pl2 felt (IMO) like a true sequel.

To conclude, I consider pl2 as a sequel, so play that first, and then play prpc too, to see with your own eyes which wad felt more like a sequel to plutonia and was funnier.

PL2 is more a proper sequel an offers a more varied and refined experience, while PRCP I felt it was too much of "more of the same" with its reinterpretations of the Plutonia maps. Try both as they all deserve it, but if I really have to recommend one I would say PL2.

Pl2 was meant as a sequel (hence: Plutonia 2), while PRCP was meant as a reimagining of the original Plutonia (hence: Plutonia Revisited) so yeah.

Either of the two are great, but if you really want to play an actual sequel, definitely Plutonia 2. It has a lot going since it's got maps by Gusta, Fredrik Johannson, T.V., Eternal, and Erik Alm, and the soundtrack is awesome with a selection of Doom and Doom 2, including a Duke Nukem 3D track, mixed in with new original music, some of the best being by Jimmy and Forty-Two.

Consensus here seems to agree with my opinion: PL2 is fresher, and has great gameplay (and soundtrack, and atmosphere) -- PRCP is a little more slavish to the original Plutonia (whether that's your thing or not).

But yeah, why not do both? ;)

sincity2100 said:

some maps of Revisited were a rehash of the original

As someone who just started PL2 a couple days ago, it's not entirely innocent of this: MAP07 as Exhibit A. Not that I'm complaining; is a fun WAD so far.

Salt-Man Z said:

As someone who just started PL2 a couple days ago, it's not entirely innocent of this: MAP07 as Exhibit A. Not that I'm complaining; is a fun WAD so far.

I know that some maps in PL2 is a homage to the original,but half of Revisited uses some maps from the original too much

Salt-Man Z said:

It's hard to improve on perfection.

Gez said:

Pl2 was meant as a sequel (hence: Plutonia 2), while PRCP was meant as a reimagining of the original Plutonia (hence: Plutonia Revisited) so yeah.

probably the most accurate description.

TNT: EVILUTION

I'm in the Plutonia II crowd, but they are both worth your time if you're a plutfan.

Thanks for clearing it all up for me! I still kinda suck at Doom and have been more atmosphere-oriented thus far (that's why I love the TWiD series and KDIZD) so these mapsets may be totally hard for me. But I really did love CC4, it looked absolutely fantastic and had amazing gameplay on top of it. I know the design policy was altogether different to that of Plutonia's, but gotta say that really is my kind of WAD.